Yet another question...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Stressedcatmom, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

I just started home testing tonight using the alpha track. Last reading at 7:30pm was 326. I always notice him getting weaker and hungry 5-6 hours after his shot.

I'm thinking of testing him again now, which is 4.5 hours after his shot just to see if he's low. Is this a good idea? He hasn't eaten since his shot. I'm seeing many people test before bed, but I'm not sure of the exact time. Something about midpoint?

Is testing at a certain point after the insulin advisable? Especially if they're slowing down? He's also on gaboprophin? for his legs which makes him tired

2. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I am new so can't advise, but testing is knowledge. I would if it was my kitty, just to be safe. But I have become a testaholic! :)

3. Stressedcatmom

Him getting hungry and weaker hours after the shot are actually the reasons I decided to home test
    I just did. He's at 243. I think that's fine, but the poor thing is just so hungry. He's getting used to the diet... I just gave him a small bit of canned.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  4. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I usually try to test at 2 and 4 hours after the shot. It's always good to have the data!

5. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

My girl is hungry all the time too. It's crazy this FD dance. I feel so bad for our furbabies. Glad her bg was not low. Hang in there :)

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Good number for +4.5!

7. Stressedcatmom

I know. His ears are all red from the two pokes today :(

8. Stressedcatmom

Thanks Rach, I don't even know what it's supposed to be? I'm just glad it wasn't low. He gets so hungry and the neuropathy doesn't help. Sometimes I think he's hypo, but he's not. His legs are off and on weak. Right now they are weak. :/

9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

On the AM cycle, we like to see a mid-cycle test.....somewhere between about +4 and +7.....on the PM cycle, you need to get at least a "before bed" test to make sure it's OK to leave him for the night while you're sleeping. Most cats go lower at night so it's really important to get that test in

A little Neosporin with pain relief ointment (not cream) can really help heal those pokey spots up quickly. Just a very thin film is enough. You don't want to "gunk up" his ears and screw up a test strip due to getting cream on it instead of blood

A lot of people use Zobaline for cats for the weakness (diabetic neuropathy)...it can take weeks to months, but it's pretty successful . If you've never seen how far back they can come, here's a video

10. Chris & China (GA)

Normal blood glucose is 68-about 150 on the AlphaTrak.....below 68 is your "time to act" point where he's too low and you want to feed something high carb to bring him back up

11. Stressedcatmom

12. Stressedcatmom

Thank you!!

13. Chris & China (GA)

14. Stressedcatmom

I just bought it. Great reviews. I can't thank you enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.