Yet another reason to buy a Relion meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sieden, May 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sieden

Sieden Member

I've had my same blue Relion Confirm for the past 4 years and for the last week it's been hesitant to turn on when I put a strip into it. I figured it was the battery but forgot to check the screen on it for a battery warning before I set out to good old Walmart for a new battery. I changed the battery and now it's turning on everytime.

For a good while now it's timing has been off because I never set the clock with daylight savings time and it's been bugging me. I pulled up the instructions online, went in and reset the clock, finally. I got to the end of the instruction manual and it says quite clearly to To order control solution, call ReliOnĀ® at 800.631.0076.

I called the number and spoke to this nice lady. I told her about my meter being 4 years old and she said that the meters are only guaranteed to be accurate for 3 years and along with the solution, she was going to send me a brand new meter as well, all that I had to do was provide my serial number from the back of my current meter. I didn't have to pay for a single thing.

I'm seriously beside myself right now. I'm not used to things being free anymore, not even shipping but she said that I can get a new bottle of solution every time that I buy a new box of test strips, a new battery or meter and I can get a new meter every 3 years... for free. That's nice.

Oh, and I didn't mention that the meter was for my cat though so if you call them you might just want to pretend that the meter is for you. You're not lying, it is your meter... you bought it lol.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

that's great! Lets face it... they all make their money on the test strips. She didn't want you going into a store and buying a different brand. If you have their meter, you'll buy their strips. Still it was great to send it free.

Tina and Gracie (GA) and Riulake like this.
  3. Sieden

Sieden Member

You're probably absolutely right about that. I did tell her that I got a new battery and that the meter was working just fine now and all that I wanted was some control solution, she just offered the meter. It was still nice of her since I didn't even know that it was an option. It DID cross my mind last night to buy a new Relion Confirm since I was going to be buying a new battery for it anyway but I'm glad that I didn't lol. I would never consider another brand because of the cost of the strips and I always buy those in a 100 pack.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It's kind of like the printer industry. they make all their money in ink cartridges. it almost costs as much to buy a set of ink as the brand new printer.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Sieden

Sieden Member

oh hell yeah, I know that one

6. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

I've had my Relion Prime for a year now and changed the battery about a month ago. Now it won't give me a reading. I have the strip in and get the blood sample, but then the screen stays blank instead of giving me a flashing hyphen. I don't think it's fair to subject Chloe to another poke when it's not her fault. She wants her breakfast. So what should I do? This happened the other day, too. Also, what is the control solution for?

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Exactly the same thought came to my mind. :)

Mogs

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I use an Easy Glucose Plus (US Diagnostics) meter and has had it for maybe 5 years. Recently it has been giving me problems or not turning on when inserting a strip and it when working I touched the strip the meter would turn off. I called US Diagnostics using the number of the back of the meter and they are sending me a new meter. I do have a spare to use in the meantime.

9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Testing isn't about being fair...it's about making sure it's safe to give insulin at all!! You should always test before shooting.

Cat's don't "blame" us or think we're "unfair"...they accept the world as it comes.

Control solution is just stuff you can get to test your meter....instead of using a drop of blood, you use the control solution to verify that your meter is giving accurate results

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.