yikes @ +4.5 BGL 48 !!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rick & Mr. Grey, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick & Mr. Grey

Rick & Mr. Grey Member

2. Courtney and Kismet

Courtney and Kismet Well-Known Member

Hi Rick, why don't you feed a tsp of LC and test again in 15 minutes?

3. Courtney and Kismet

Congratulations on your first green! :mrgreen: If the cat is in the 50s or upper 40s, we usually try to use LC to coax the numbers back up first. Karo or HC gravy can cause a nasty bounce later once the kitty is back on track, so feeding small amounts of low carb food will often bring them up safely. Please post the +5 as soon as you get it. Thanks!

4. Courtney and Kismet

FYI, this is the protocol for dealing with low numbers (from the sticky.) In case Mr. Grey ever starts dropping low and there is no one around to answer your questions, refer here: What we do is try to feed 1 tsp of LC (we feed small amounts because we don't want the cat to get full if we need them to eat more later) and test in 15 minutes. Keep doing this until your cat gets up to 50 or above for 2 consecutive tests.

Since Mr. Grey is only at 48, you caught him at the right time. Giving him karo or HC could potentially overcarb him which will affect him later. He's pretty far along in the cycle as this point (near nadir) so the insulin will start wearing off soon. If you were to get at 48 at +2, then you might consider karo.

5. Courtney and Kismet

This also means you've earned a dose reduction! Congrats! You can reduce tomorrow's dose by .25u. If Mr. Grey is very high (sometimes they bounce after having a low number) you can opt to shoot through the bounce (give the old dose) and then start the new dose at the next cycle.

6. Rick & Mr. Grey

Rick & Mr. Grey Member

Just tested again 15 minutes after last test of 48 he went up to 52 without feeding.

7. Courtney and Kismet

Ok, that +4.5 could possibly be his nadir, though by looking at your SS it looks like he usually nadirs around +5. Why don't you go get another test in 15 minutes (no food) to make sure he is on the rise. Sometimes they can wobble a bit and there is meter variance to consider, too.

8. Rick & Mr. Grey

Rick & Mr. Grey Member

@ +5.5 BG up now 55...

9. Courtney and Kismet

Awesome. What you can do is wait 30 minutes and test again just to make sure he is continuing to rise and isn't just surfing. You can also feed a tsp of LC if you want, just to make sure he keeps rising. I have to go to bed now, but I think Mr. Grey is going to be just fine. If he is lower or "surfing" in the 50's when you test in 30, you can feed a little bit more LC just to be safe. Sound good?

10. Rick & Mr. Grey

Rick & Mr. Grey Member

Thank you very much Courtney ! I just looked at your cat's ss. Short Lantus ride you did good ! Sorry bout the Asthma :)
    I'll keep a good eye on him. I have to goto bed in 20 mins..

11. Courtney and Kismet

Rick? Did you see my last message? Do you have any questions or concerns before I sign off for the night?

Also, in the morning, don't be surprised if Mr. Grey is quite high. After they drop low, Mr. P (pancreas) can panic and dump glucose. If you're not sure what to dose, post and ask for help.

12. Courtney and Kismet

We cross-posted. :smile: Ok, so test in 15 since you're going to bed, and see where he is. If he is still hovering in the 50s, I think you should leave out some food for him. We normally wait an hour after two consecutive rising tests to test again, but if you need to go to sleep, leaving out food is another option. If it's possible to set your alarm for an hour, it might give you some peace of mind.

Great job tonight! And you're most welcome :mrgreen: Night!

13. Rick & Mr. Grey

Rick & Mr. Grey Member

Yes I will feed a small amount of LC and test at +6 then sleep. I have no more questions good night thanks again !

14. Courtney and Kismet

Or you can not feed, go to sleep, set the alarm for an hour and check him. It's up to you :)

15. Courtney and Kismet

recap
    PMPS 107
    +2--- 107
    +4.5--48
    +4.75-52
    +5.5--55

Does this look right?

FYI, what we normally do is wait for 2 consecutive rising non food influenced numbers, then wait an hour (no feeding) and test again. Since Mr. Grey was coming up on his own without food, I don't think you need to worry too much that he will drop again, but better safe than sorry.

I'm off to bed now for real :) Have a great night and get some rest!

16. Rick & Mr. Grey

Rick & Mr. Grey Member

your recap is correct. @ +5.75 fed 4 tbsp LC. And now @+6 BG 67. He's rising I need to sleep. Will set alarm for +8 and test.

17. Rick & Mr. Grey

Rick & Mr. Grey Member

Thank you so much Courtney for hanging in there with us. I was tired today but happy about Mr. Grey's blues :D

18. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Great job, you two!

19. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Please be very careful with low numbers for Mr. Grey since he's likely acro, and acros have functional pancreas which means they do not react to food the same way as a diabetic cat does. It is possible that food may result in even lower numbers.

Next time you get such a low number, you don't need to mess with LC food.... put down a can of HC for Mr. Grey.

Many people with acro cats tend to avoid numbers under 100 for the above reason; their numbers often cannot be guided with food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.