YIKES! 8/9 Sushi: PMPS 281 | +3 270 | +6 327 | +6.75 300

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sushi (GA 5/05-3/14), Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sushi (GA 5/05-3/14)

Sushi (GA 5/05-3/14) Member

Hello!!!
    :eek: I don't really have anything to say! Didn't think that was possible, did you?! ;-)
    YESTERDAY

2. Sushi (GA 5/05-3/14)

Re: 8/9 Sushi: AMPS 288 | +3 251 | +6 277

Okay, I've got something we can talk about! POOP!

I was just on the phone and Sushi decided to poop right outside of the LB! Great! (That's another thing he likes to do. If I'm home, he waits until I'm distracted (usually on the phone) and goes outside of the LB) :-x
    His poop isn't as big now that we're transitioning to wet food, but he did still squeak/whimper when he was going.
    And it still STINKS! I remember now that it literally woke me up at 4am, and the litterbox is across the house! But he did go IN the LB at 4am even though I wasn't there to supervise.
    He usually goes once a day, but I guess 4am would count as yesterday's BM, and he's already going again at 12pm?

ahhh great topic of conversation...

3. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Only on FDMB can you talk about poop and everyone goes "oh ya, I know exactly what you are talking about. What color was it?" Try talking about it at work and everybody slowly moves away and quits talking to you.

Hope you have a wonderful day!

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

hahahaha!

and i have no comments about poop. it's an amazing condo today.

actually, i do have one poop comment. i know people give their cats miralax to help with constipation - i think i'd assume he's hurting and constipated and that's why he won't go in the LB. you can try canned pumpkin - like 1 tsp a day to add fiber - it helps with both diarrhea and constipation. make sure you don't get canned pie filling, just the straight pumpkin and see if he likes it.

if the pumpkin is a no-go, maybe ask for directions for dosage on the miralax. getting him pain-free will probably help.

5. Melissa & Tarragon

I use the pumpkin - 1 tsp mixed in with their food. I also use psyllium - 1 caplet twice a day opened up and mixed with their food. You can get the generic version at Walmart by the metamucil. It doesn't have any sugar so it is ok for FD. Both of these can be used for constipation or diarrhea. They are just suppose to make them "regular".

6. Sushi (GA 5/05-3/14)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hummm...these are good suggestions! He seems pretty regular if you ask me, though I suppose I could try some pumpkin, etc. And his recent deposit looked like it would be painless as far as size and consistency. lol!! Still not sure what's going on...

What about Sushi's #s? Can we start making some inferences from them yet? Or is he still too unregulated? He doesn't seem to even be following any kind of curve--I don't see any patterns. Do I need to be testing him more often?
    And he seems to like to eat as soon as he sees me getting ready to test him, does it impact his # if he ate a few bites right before I tested?

7. Melissa & Tarragon

I think you are testing him pretty good, doing mini curves every day. Looks like he is pretty flat yellow. According to the protocol, you would increase him by .25 U based on his numbers.

8. Melissa & Tarragon

I don't think it will affect BG if it is just a few bites right before. Hopefully someone else will weigh in on this. I don't feed until after I test. If Tarragon is starving in the hour leading up to testing, I will give him some boild chicken to get him through. However, I know that there are some kitties that even that would affect their BG. Every cat is different (ECID).

9. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hey there Ashley,

I was just looking at Sushis ss - am I reading it correctly that you tested for ketones 08/08/PM+7 and the result was "trace"?

If so please be on alert and get frequent tests. are you mixing some water into is food?

10. Sushi (GA 5/05-3/14)

Hey Sandy!
    Good catch. I couldn't tell if it was trace or negative. ? I am mixing water into his food; is there anything else I need to be looking out for (ie symptoms) or doing other than testing frequently?

11. julie & punkin (ga)

Re: 8/9 Sushi: AMPS 288 | +3 251 | +6 277 | +9 263 | PMPS 2

how much canned food per day is sushi still getting? i'm asking because if you're changing dose and changing from high carb to low carb food at the same time, you want to be careful. if he's still getting some dry food, i think you could probably speed up the transition til it's gone and see what sushi's doing then. at least i think i would finish making that change before i changed the dose.

if you've gotten him completely over to canned food already, then it's probably time to increase his dose by .25.

12. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Re: 8/9 Sushi: AMPS 288 | +3 251 | +6 277 | +9 263 | PMPS 2

check his breath, you want to watch out for an acetone, or fruity kind of smell. So, no trace results since? Glad to hear you're mixing in water with his food - good habit.

The little (trace) square will kind of glow...I used to take the stick out of BKs bathroom (where the LB is) into the next room where there is natural light. For some reason it was easier to tell if it was trace or not. Also, I believe there might be a gauge on the back of the bottle you can use for reference...I'm kinda foggy on that.

13. julie & punkin (ga)

Re: YIKES! 8/9 Sushi: PMPS 281 | +3 270 | +6 327

is the yikes for the +6/327? i'm thinking so.

what's the status on his transition to all low carb canned food?

14. Sushi (GA 5/05-3/14)

>>>I'm not sure if I should be concerned...Sushi's been hangin' out in the yellow for the past 2 days and I just tested him at PM +6 and he's at 327!! What?!?

Re: Ketones --
    I just caught him and did a test--it was negative. He hasn't "presented the opportunity" since around 6:30pm or before (it's 12am now). I can't say whether that's normal for him or not! I think he does tend to hold it too long. He urinated a LOT, but his water consumption has definitely decreased.
    The little (trace) square will kind of glow...I used to take the stick out of BKs bathroom (where the LB is) into the next room where there is natural light. For some reason it was easier to tell if it was trace or not. Yes, last night I realized after I did the test I was in poor lighting; the overhead light was off and I just had a lamp on. I had to act fast to catch a sample and I didn't think to turn the overhead light on.
    Also, I believe there might be a gauge on the back of the bottle you can use for reference...I'm kinda foggy on that.
    There is--I'm using it! It's a range; "trace" is 5[insert unit here] or less and it goes up from there.

Re: Diet & Dosage --
    I haven't increased his dose because we're in the transition to canned food. I agree that it's wisest to wait until the transition is over to tinker with his dose. We did 50% canned for both meals today; tomorrow I'll increase to 75%. I want to go faster because it doesn't seem to be making a dramatic impact on his BG levels. You think it would be okay for me to do 75% for his AM meal and up to 100% by dinner?
    I also caught him sneaking a few bites of his sister's Purina indoor formula dry food...not sure if that has any impact on anything.

...going to do one more BG test before bed; that 327 shocked me!

15. Sam and S'mores

Sam and S'mores Member

According to the full protocol, with a cat on "high dose" (>3), the adustments should be in 0.5u increments. Judging by the various SS's I've seen, that seems to be generally followed by users on the forum as well. Right?

As for whether to make an adjustment, I cannot comment (way too new).

Do remember to sleep too ;-)

16. Sushi (GA 5/05-3/14)

Re: YIKES! 8/9 Sushi: PMPS 281 | +3 270 | +6 327 | +6.75 30

Good Stuff Sam! Thanks! :smile:

I do need to go to sleep!!!! Haven't been getting enough of it and it's kicking my butt. But this has me worried! Should I worry? What's going on?

17. Sam and S'mores

Sam and S'mores Member

I say: Don't Worry!

You should start a post with a "Dosing Advice Needed" subject line to get more advice there. Based on the "official protocol", you are due for a dose increase, but the "official protocol" also "officially" only applies once you are on <10% carb food. :?

Good luck.

18. julie & punkin (ga)

if you checked ketones and it's negative, there's no worry. you're adding water to his food, that's about the only thing you can do at home. the biggest thing is his high BG numbers - the way to deal with that is to get done with the dry food and then increase his insulin.

if he were mine, i'd finish transitioning him tomorrow. it doesn't look like he's being affected at all by the change, but that would be a little odd if he weren't. there are cats here who will soar sky high on a mouthful of dry kibbles - even a couple. so you're going to have to figure out how to keep sushi completely 100% out of the dry food. you might need to switch your other kitty over also.

as far as the dose, i'd go with the .25 changes for the moment. sam's right about the protocol, but it depends on how sensitive the cat is to it. even with punkin at 14 units i can see a difference in a .5 change. until you know more about sushi's responses, i'd go .25 and see what the response is. it's the kind of thing that you have to wait to decide until you know more. a couple of .25 changes and if you aren't seeing much BG movement downward, then you might decide to go to .5 changes.

i think it's your call on his dose in the morning. you could either wait another cycle and get rid of the dry food 100% to see how his numbers are before increasing his dose, or you could increase slightly (.25) and keep an eye on how he does as he's still transitioning. either way, that dry food needs to go. we don't use it to steer low numbers events because it takes too long to take effect and it stays in their systems for too long. we use canned high carb or karo instead because it works better for our purposes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.