? YIKES! Big spike in Griff's BS tonite

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by primalkitty, Jun 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

552! I could tell he didn't feel well today. I caught him peeing on the dog bed, too....very unusual. Not sure why he spiked. Only thing that has changed is that I increased feed frequency from 3 to 4x. He did seem a little stressed because he didn't get as much food at each feeding and the times were off. Instead of 8, 2, 8 I did 8, 12, 4, 8 but to keep the calories the same each meal had a little less in it. I did give him a couple little extras 'cause he seemed so hungry. Could that be why he spiked...stress?

I am also nearing the end of the vial. I go to the vet on Monday.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

i see you keep raising the dose, but aren't really getting any mid cycle numbers. you really can't judge whether a dose is effective if you can't see how low it's going. you don't base a dose just on the preshot number. you may want to move your question to the Prozinc forum where people with experience with your insulin are more likely to see it. I doubt the food schedule change really made him stressed. How many cans of food is he getting in a day?

with the unusual peeing, my first thought is UTI... and that could most definitely cause a bg spike. you might want to send him in for a urine test.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Stress can cause spikes, but since he also peed on the bed it's possible a UTI is brewing. Please be sure to check for ketones. Also it looks like he's been on 3u for quite awhile and may need an increase. Can you get some mid cycle tests so we can see what's going on?

4. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

I got a couple of mid-cycles. Yay!
    There is no way for me to test for ketones.:(

Griff is going to the vet tomorrow. So, will see what they say. I have many UTI kitty experiences (used to work @ humane society, fostered, rescued and saw UTI many times) and it just doesn't seem like he has UTI. I think that he is just super uncomfortable when his numbers are up and he pees outside the box. That being said, I will have the vet take a look-see.

thank you!

5. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Griff is getting about a 13 oz can of Friskies Pate per day ("about" means that he is frequently cleaning up the other kitties bowls) plus raw chicken hearts/cix breast/ground meat, etc.

He going to the vet tomorrow. So, will see what they say. I have many UTI kitty experiences (used to work @ humane society, fostered, rescued and saw UTI many times) and it just doesn't seem like he has UTI. I think that he is just super uncomfortable when his numbers are up and he pees outside the box. That being said, I will have the vet take a look-see.

As always, thank you, thank you!!!

6. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Did you move one of the snacks past +6?
    Some cats on prozinc (my cat for sure!) will increase quicker or higher after the usual nadir.
    If he did fine with snacks after +6 before and it's not much later than the previous schedule it might not be the issue.
    Just thinking out loud... Sometimes I think my thoughts go in circles fast enough to make a pinwheel dizzy! Haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.