? Yikes higest levels yet. Big mistake? Help?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jeanne & Dottie, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Ok so when Daddy once again showed up with a blood glucose level of 143 at the time when she should be getting her shot. I chose to ignore it because she had gone so far into the next hour for having her shot and it seems to be a pattern.

Big mistake! Now at 6:15 I've tested her BG and its reading 404. This is the highest her sugar has been since we've been on the board. Have I sent her into a strong bounce? Is she at risk for even higher levels as the night goes on? Should I shoot her now? Please help!

Please remember my "Day" starts at 1:30 pm..so reading the spreadsheet, I am now 4 hours into Dottie's "day".

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't see a bounce, Jeanne. It looks to me like she just needs a little insulin to keep her in good levels. When the insulin wore off, she went into higher numbers. Skipping is not ideal. Stalling and shooting when she gets up to your target number would be best.

You could give 0.25 or 0.5 now. Will that work with your schedule (getting a test or two in to see how she does and testing for a pre shot 12 hours from now?)

3. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Oh thank you. I wasn't sure I should. Yep, I will monitor her closely now until the next pre shot.

When I read the protocol on ProZinc it said if the number is under 200, don't shoot, and her BG was 143. I shoulda given her a reduced does THEN, right? Soo sorry to keep spooking everyone.

And I'll move my schedule around to suit hers. I'm sleeping only one or two hours at a time now anyway. THANK YOU

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

No, I wouldn't have shot at 143. But you can stall with a number like that. Wait 30 minutes without feeding and test again. If she has risen to the 180/200 range, then you could shoot a lower dose than normal.

Or, if your schedule permits, you could feed her and wait about 2 hours. (Food can impact levels that long). Then test and if she is in your target range, then give the shot but again a little less than the time before.

200 is the number we give new beans as a no shot number, considering that they have not gotten confident home testing to monitor if needed and that they don't have data to predict what might happen. You are confident testing and you can look back to see what a given dose did for a given number. So you can consider giving a shot in the 180 range IF she is sure rising, not falling (a second test 15-20 minutes after the first should give you this info) and IF you are comfortable doing that and if you can monitor.

Some people shoot at 150- 180, after they are confident with testing and data. I would not suggest that for Dottie as her pancreas does seem to be helping out every so often and she is on such a small dose.

5. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Well here's the thing. BG 143-145 seems to be a "magic number" for her. I'm wondering if for this particular cat, it might be her '150'? Could this be an individual setpoint? If I'd have shot here then and there, with at the very least, a .25, I'm pretty sure she'd have been fine.

o_ONot sure, but could I encourage her to play right now? If she's able? Is it safe for her? Or does it cause her pancreas to kick in with more insulin, adding to already high BG? Ack, I had planned to vacuum with :mad:THE BEAST, our noisy, scary -:eek:Run For Your Furry Lives-vacuum. Usually I hide Dottie in the bathroom while THE BEAST is out.

But if that might give her a stroke, I'll forgo it and use the sedate little carpet sweeper instead.

:rolleyes:Actually when I look at the way our schedules are arranged, perhaps a 5:00 to 5:30 starting point on the spreadsheet might not be a bad schedule for us. I had chosen the 1:30 because it allowed me time to call the vet if she should crash really bad. He'd still be in his office during regular hours. But know what? Since I'm looking to you all as the really experienced hands-on folk in this Diabetes Dance, (Heck, he's a dog guy) ...perhaps this would be a better time to set up her spreadsheet startpoint, all around. It's much closer to "normal morning hours" for my time zone, and I could catch a few hours's sleep after checking her levels at 6:30 am, and her nadir wouldn't likely arrive until mid afternoon here. So perhaps this will end up being a good thing after all. I really want to stick with the Prozinc.

Oh..Dottie still squeaked when I shot her. :( I think it's her hyperesthesia. Her protest may just be her normal comment on the whole matter of needlepokes. she's a bit of a drama queen anyway. Very vocal, like a Siamese. When her mouth was so sore from surgery, it hurt so bad that the injection wasn't even in the same ballpark, so she was like, "What needlepoke? My mouth hurts. Go away".

As usual, massive bear hugs :bighug::bighug::bighug:for your assistance. Dottie has had her injection of .5u of insulin, and I will be adjusting the spreadsheet to reflect this new 12/12 startpoint.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Activity is supposed to lower their levels, so if the rug needs vacuuming, why not?

7. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Gonna go for it now!:woot: ZZZZZZZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Look out rugs! Here we COME!

8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Jeanne, you crack me up!! I know about THE BEAST...my cats feel the same way about it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.