Yikes! Huge discrepancy in meters (Relion Micro vs. OneTouch)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Arkali, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkali

Arkali Member

Hi, all!
    So I switched to the Relion Micro last night and I thought it was about 15 points lower than my One Touch, which wasn't terrible. But I just tested Gypsy (+8) and the Relion said she was at 47 :eek:. So I pulled out the OneTouch and got another reading, and the OneTouch says 78. How concerned should I be about this? Should I go back to using the OneTouch? I'm a little panicky.

Thanks!

Edit to add: Just retested myself. 88 Relion, 101 OneTouch. I just remembered there's a difference in cat vs. human blood sugars too. Anyway, do I need to panic?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  2. Arkali

Arkali Member

Also--she is NOT acting hypo in any way.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

47 isn't a "panic-worthy" number.....but it does mean you should "take action"...since you're later in the cycle, I'd try giving a teaspoon or two of your regular low carb food and test again in 30 minutes

4. Arkali

Arkali Member

Thanks, Chris. I guess I'm also wondering which meter is the accurate one? If I go by the OneTouch, she's 78, which is great, right?

5. Chris & China (GA)

Something I read today in the Feline Diabetes group that I think is EXCELLENT advice:

The best meter is the one you use, feel comfortable with, and can afford. The "best" most expensive meter is useless when you don't use it because you can't find or afford the supplies for it. My dentist once told me the best toothbrush is the one you use at least 2x a day. Don't waste time comparing the results to other people or the vet or the lab. Know your meter, use it alot, make decisions based on your data and experience.

FurBabiesMama and Arkali like this.
  6. Chris & China (GA)

Yes....once you get used to one meter, you make your decisions based on that.....they're close enough to keep her safe as well as make dosing decisions

7. Arkali

Arkali Member

Good advice. I'm trying to find the thread I had open earlier about the glucose ranges and the difference in human meters vs. pet meters. That may help me calm the heck down too :)

8. Arkali

Arkali Member

Thanks, @Chris & China . When I take her in for her first checkup, I'm going to take the meter in with me. Meanwhile, I'll just kind of mentally add plus thirty. Also, she should be good. They kind of nosh all day and fresh cans of food are going down at 6.

9. Chris & China (GA)

I wouldn't bother....that's old advice that's no longer valid.

Trust the numbers on the meter you decide to use. Don't try to convert them ….the only numbers that really matter are the "take action" numbers (50 on a human meter, 68 on a pet meter)….too high is too high on any meter!

Trying to compare meters will just give you a massive headache that you don't want or need ;)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  10. Arkali

Arkali Member

Ha! Yeah, I can see that (the massive headache). With the +30, I just meant basically to keep in mind that the Relion errs on the low side. I guess I'm just freaking out a little bit because while there's not a lot of difference between 220 and 250, there's a huge difference between 47 and 78, you know? I'll try to calm down though :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.