Yikes!! Murray gave me a fright!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Allie & Myrtle (GA), Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allie & Myrtle (GA)

Allie & Myrtle (GA) Well-Known Member

He was outside and came when I called him in for the night. He came at a run as he always does, but a minute or so after he came in he suddenly started to stagger a little and make howling noises for a little while. He retired under the coffee table where he half lay, half crouched. He was wet around the mouth, but not frothing. I watched him closely wondering if I should take him to the after-hours vet, but after some minutes he got up and walked quite normally to his food bowl and ate. He then sat around in the meat loaf position - as he does - for a while then got into his usual night-sleeping position on the couch. He seems fine. He can be lively at this time of night, or not.
    What happened??? Did he have a mini-stroke? His eyes look normal, though under the coffee table they looked dark - but then it was dark there anyway.
    He may have temporarily hurt himself running full tilt up and over the fence inside, but was not limping or anything to his dish.

I just wish I knew if he will be OK now or not.

Any clues? (I'm off to bed - it's 1/4 to 1 a.m.)

2. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Allie, I haven't experienced this but I can see why you found it scary. Hopefully others will have some explanations, but I'd say that the clues are in what you say yourself - Murray is eating and walking normally, neither of which he would do if he was in a bad way. He may have come in at a bit too much of a run, who knows - and you know what these cats are like, always surprising us. Only a couple of evenings ago Sapphire was curled up on my lap fast asleep as I was watching tv when suddenly she jumped horizontally about two feet in the air, and landed on the floor (with a very surprised look on her face!). Maybe she was having a weird dream... I was a bit perturbed at the time but she's been fine since.

Hopefully you've seen no further abnormal behaviour from Murray and can put your mind at rest, but if he does behave unusually then maybe put a call in to the vet? - they will be able to tell you from your explanation of his symptoms whether you should take him in or not. But you know all this of course...

Paws crossed that all will be well.

Diana

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

No experience but sending good vibes out for Murray. AND calming ones for YOU!
    J.

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Could she have tried to grab a frog by chance? Frogs have a toxic wet covering that will affect both cats and dogs for a short time...

HUGS! I'm glad he's OK now!!!

5. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Allie, do you think Murray can suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrom from the earthquakes? I think so, and you should read up on the condition (search on human medicine), since it can give physical things.

Now Murray, you have been through a lot, not coming home and such, so better try and stay healthy and don't scare mum anymore than necessary. Okay sweetheart?

6. Allie & Myrtle (GA)

Allie & Myrtle (GA) Well-Known Member

He's absolutely fine this morning - as he was before I went to bed.
    He's his usual chirpy, cuddly self and there's nothing wrong with his walking or eating.

Many thanks for all suggestions! Even Post Traumatic Stress Disorder!

Yes, Ann - he has been through a LOT. Luckily we are in a quiet phase......... until the next fault line builds up enough stress to rupture. It's a kind of chain reaction at the moment.

I suspect he may have hurt himself or done something with the fast pace of his "re-entry' last night. He did hurt, because he was howling.

Mystery!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.