Yikes -- PMPS = 51!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jenna Josie, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

So, clearly stalling and doing the "Teasel Reverse," but wanted some input . . .

I had a feeling when I shot this morning (on 144) that she may go low because she was high and pancake-flat yesterday from +7 (AM cycle) though +4 (PM cycle), and then I just couldn't get away from work today for a midday. :(

And now look at her! I can stall for quite a while (and don't have to be at work tomorrow until 10:00am), but given that she likely hypo'd today, I'm not sure what I should shoot once she eventually starts on her way up.

Previous cycles like this (where she's had a very low PS and I've stalled a looong time 'til she's at a shootable number), I've lowered the dose; e.g., PM cycle of 4/12, when I shot 1.8, and I think I could have gone safely with 2.

But something's up with her these days. Look at how she tanked on the PM cycle of 4/19! She's only ever done that one other time, way back in August when she was ~newly diagnosed . . .

??

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Oh Jenna! I'm so sorry no one was here tonight! How are you? How is Josie? Have you decided anything on her shot for tonight?

3. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Hi! Haven’t shot yet. Going to get one more test right now (she’s at +15!). Last test — full dinner on board — was just 106?! Brb.

4. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

So she's at 127, full dinner for two-three hours (started feeding her bits; fed over the hour's duration). Wild!

I'm thinking . . . 1.6? I gave her 1.8, which was not enough, on a similar cycle on 4/12, but she was not as low, and probably didn't go into lime green that day, whereas she almost certainly did today.

And anyway, 1.6 is an even 3.0 w/ U100s, and I still have a handful of ones with full-unit markings only in my syringe collection. :rolleyes:

So basically, 1.6 for no better reason than to use up inventory!

Is that a terrible idea? It doesn't feel like too much based on the fact that it seems like she's *finally* coming up, but it does feel like too much based on what probably happened to her this AM cycle. But then she's likely starting a bounce . . .

(I could get a +3.)

EDIT: 1.6 is an even 4. That's why we double-check the conversion chart, folks! :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  5. Djamila

Well, she's clearly on her way up now, so you can probably shoot. Then the question is....how much?

I think there are a couple of ways you could look at it. First - she doesn't usually have more than one low cycle in a row, so you could theoretically hold the dose tonight and bet on this next cycle being yellow. Or...you could take your observation that there is something brewing and lower the dose....either just by shaving off the "fat" on the dose, or lowering more to something in the 2u range.

It's tricky because if your mama sense tells you something is shifting (there are hints in the data, so I don't think you're crazy), then the bigger reduction is probably warranted. But Josie tends to run a little higher and then give you these occasional dramatic cycles, and I hate to have her run too high if this is just one wonky day.

There have also been times when I've lowered more than I needed to in order to kind of hit "reset" on Sam's dosing. Lowered for a cycle or two and then started the increases again to re-located a g

6. Djamila

Sorry, Sam just hit "post reply" while trying very hard to get me to give him a treat. :cat:

What I was trying to type in that last paragraph is in line with what you are thinking about the 1.6 or 1.8 (except the syringe inventory part(00iaior

I think it's fine to lower, even if it's a little too much for tonight. Then work your way back up again.

7. Djamila

Sam reeealllllyyy wants treats tonight, and he knows that hitting the touch screen and walking across the keyboard are good ways to get me to pay attention to him! So sorry about the typos!

8. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Sam! :cat: :D

You know what? I don't know what to do, so I've decided that Sam is sending us a sign, and since he bumped you when you were typing about 1.6, I'm going to go with that.

I think it's probably not enough, but today's cycle (it's still today's cycle!?) is too weird for me to be completely brave.

Djamila likes this.
  9. Djamila

I think that's really fine. You've been at this a long time now, and you know your kitty. Sometimes you just have to trust mama-sense.

10. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Okay. That's done. I'll set an alarm to get a +3 just in case.

I don't know that I actually know my kitty. I know my kitty on 9 out of 10 days, and on the 10th day, she throws me for a loop!

I *did* know that she was going to go low today based on the pancake cycles yesterday . . . If/when she does that to me again, I'm going to think seriously about shaving the dose to prevent what happened today. Poor thing! (And yes, I knew something was up with her when I first went to test her and she wiggled out of her burrito. She's only ever done that when she's gone very low. I'm sad that I missed it and therefore couldn't help her, but it's good to have a "clinical" sign [and surely, "wiggling" must be an official clinical sign, right?]).

And as always, thank you, Djamila! :bighug:

11. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Missed the party... how’d she do on 1.6? Hope you were able to get SOME sleep...

12. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Oh, we got lots of sleep! Ended up taking a +4, which was 197, and now she's at 245 at I think ~+9/+10. (My coffee hasn't kicked in yet, and I took a whole lotta tests last evening waiting for her to come up. I'll have to check the meter to remember when I finally shot!) I suspect this high number is a combination of bouncing + too low a PM dose.

I'm going to wait just a bit longer and then give her 1.8. Luckily, it's the weekend, so I can get her back on a schedule and also get good middays to see what's going on with her little body.

Thanks for checking in on us!

Djamila likes this.
  13. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

The fun never ends. Lol. Glad your all good even though high.