Yikes! Very high numbers at +4

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Jen and Alfie, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Hi all

I upped Alfie's dose yesterday from 2 to 2.5 units and it seemed to have a good effect.

Today though, he started very high this morning and when I tested him at +4, assuming he'd be near the bottom of his cycle, he was higher! Just tested him at +5 and it's higher still!

Any ideas on what's going on? I'm assuming it must have been an accidental fur shot but I always give the injection site a rub after shooting and didn't feel any wetness.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

wow, yeah that's unusual for him. could have been a fur shot. any chance he got into some dry food or something?

two days ago you said his appetite was less than usual. is he back to eating normally? if it's still low, it makes me wonder if something else is going on.... like an infection or pancreatitis.

3. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

There's no dry food in the house so I don't think it's that.

When I say his appetite had reduced, I should have said it was more normal. Before then he was starving all the time and eating a lot more than normal, but a few days ago started eating a more usual amount, which he's still doing now.

Guess I'll have to see what happens with his evening shot later. He seems ok in himself.

I am getting near the end of the current vial, might that make a difference?

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

How many months old is it?

5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Oh you might want to stop doing this. It can effect how the insulin is absorbed ;). Another member mentioned she did this and after explaining it is not good, she stopped, and noticed improvements :).
    If it's a gentle, like feather touch, just checking for wetness you should be OK. Just trying to help :)

6. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Janet - the insulin has been open for just over three weeks.

Yong - Wow, I didn't know that, I assumed a good rub would help so I've done it every time! I'll definitely stop doing that. Thanks for the tip!

7. Yong & Maury GA

Absolutely :) Let's see how that effects his numbers :cat:

8. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

He normally gets his jabs at 6:30am and pm. It's 2:30pm here now, his numbers are still going up.

Is it ok to give him his evening jab an hour or so earlier than normal? He wants food but I don't want to feed him while he's in the 30's and not getting more insulin for hours!

9. Yong & Maury GA

I wouldn't veer off schedule unless you need to. He also should not have food 2 hours prior to Pre-shot time so the number isn't food influenced, if you aren't doing that already. You are in the UK, right? The 30's and needing insulin scared me for a moment :p. So, I would hold off until regularly scheduled time and you are starting tonight with no more rubbing :). It is still possibly the insulin is not lasting the entire 12 hour cycle in Alfie, and he is on the lower end of duration (Caninsulin/Vetsulin usually last 8-12 hours). You can give him a little LC snack if he's begging. With the high numbers his body is starving since it cannot properly absorb nutrients. There may also be a little bouncing today from his yellow 14.8 last night. A couple things are in play but be patient, we're here with you :bighug:

10. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

I did wonder if it might be a bounce after yesterday's better numbers. Time will tell I guess. I don't think it's lasting the whole cycle, but that might be because I've been rubbing :/

Ha ha, yes I'm in the UK, don't panic ;)

Ok, I'll give him a little snack and wait until his usual time and won't rub!

Thank you :)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.