Yoda 9/21 AMPS 328 +4 288 +6 252 +8 180 PMPS 178 +2 100 +6 140; Bad news..mediocre news

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sarah12, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Sarah12

Sarah12 Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...424-6-316-pmps-277-2-268-4-178-vet-ap.219460/

Yoda is negative for hyperthyroid again, and the vet is also pretty sure it isn't based on his very low blood pressure and heart rate. She called and said she would recommend against putting him under for any biopsy even though she wants to know what is going on there. He is just too skinny, insanely skinny. So it is possibly IBD, SCL, or carcinoma. He has fluid build up in his abdomen which isn't common with IBD or SCL she said, but his appetite is so aggressive that there is a chance it isn't carcinoma. FedEx messed up the shipping for the two medications that he will start that will treat IBD and SCL if it is one of those, but we SHOULD get them today so he can start asap. I'm so worried for him to lose any more weight.

We put him on a hydrolyzed protein diet and to try to get weight back on him/help with inflammation that may be caused by other food. It is science diet, but it actually doesn't seem to hurt his numbers so terribly, in fact they have looked a bit better these last few days. I was GOING to slowly switch him over from Tiki cat to the new food (mixing it in) but after getting a taste of the new food he has refused to touch the Tiki Cat at all lol

The vet suggested I go to 1 unit, and you can see that I did but given how fast he drops I went back to .75 for now.

2. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Poor Yoda! Sending lots of healing vines! Good luck with the biopsy, I really hope it doesn’t turn out to be carcinoma. I also hope Yodas meds get there soon.

Thinking of you Sarah :bighug::bighug:

Sarah12 likes this.
  3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Poor baby. I guess EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) was tested for?

4. Sarah12

Sarah12 Member

I would think so, I will double check when the vet is in next week. He did get an ultrasound and his pancreas looked okay.

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sarah12 likes this.
  6. Sarah12

Sarah12 Member

I'm feeling very wtf right now. The z/d canned prescription food he has been on should be in the double digits for carb content on a dry matter basis yet he has had low wonky numbers! He got some gravy at +2 and only got 0.5 units.

I am a bit upset, does this mean his body is absorbing this new food way less?? Behavior wise he has been pretty sleepy all day, but active when I have food for him and sleeping on his cat ledge which he hasn't done for awhile. He hasn't been sprawled on the floor or by the water like when his stomach was hurting.

7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Poor thing! I hope this gets figured out soon and he starts to feel better! Sending healing vines your way!

Sarah12 likes this.
  8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

One indication that he may not be absorbing food the way he should is what his poop looks like. If everything is normal, I'd be less concerned. When you talk to the vet, ask if they checked B12 levels. If she was checking for IBD/lymphoma, these levels were probably run in a GI panel. Often if there's malabsorption, B12 levels are off.

Getting him tested for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) is a good idea.

Sarah12 likes this.
  9. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Sending vines for Yoda. Glad he is liking the new food and his numbers aren't too affected by it.

Fingers crossed that they get to the bottom of his weight loss and the fluid build up in his abdomen.

:bighug:

Sarah12 likes this.