Yoda & Mr. Jamie

Discussion in 'Welcome to the Group - Post an Introduction Here' started by Jamie Zaragoza, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Jamie Zaragoza

Jamie Zaragoza New Member

hi everyone, I’m new here. Was helped with diabetes treatment for my little boy Yoda. He will start insulin next week. In the meantime, what are some good over the counter cat foods for a diabetic cat?

I’m so grateful a resource like this, and many others, are available to help our kitty’s.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Jamie and Yoda. There is lots of information here on the board to help you with Yoda's treatment. We all try hard to help and support each other. Please post in the Main Health forum, tell us more about Yoda, and let more members know that you are here and needing assistance. Most of us at least begin with feeding Fancy Feast Classics and Friskies pates. Just no sauces or gravies. If you are currently feeding dry, transition slowly so you don't get GI upset.
    Here is a link with some information for beginners: http://www.felinediabetes.com/fdmb-faq.htm
    We can definitely help with diet/feeding suggestions, home testing to track how the insulin is working and keep our kitties safe, as well as information about insulin treatment. Best wishes going forward :cat:

3. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and your kitty! You are in the right place for support and info!

As mentioned by Lou, FF Classic and Friskies pates are good inexpensive low carb choices for diabetic cats. Here is a useful link for info from Dr. Lisa on food if you want to learn more. She has a great food chart where she has done all of the calculations to find foods that are low carb (under 10%, and preferably under 8%) to help keep diabetic cats as healthy as possible.

https://catinfo.org/feline-diabetes/

Some of this can also be found on Health Forum stickies.