? Yoshi 11/20 am 426 +2 413 pm 375

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Stressedcatmom, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

I am at the part where I throw up my hands and scream again.

Could he be bouncing still from the blues a few days ago?

He is also constipated again.

I'd like some advice regarding insulin. I know a couple people have said that he just needs more. But I am wondering if he needs a different type. He seemed to respond better to Prozinc. I have noticed there are not many people on that forum, so I'm not sure how much help I'd get. And what about Levimir? Maybe I need a new Lantus pen? Like I mentioned before, I left it out a couple of times.

I feel like his numbers are the highest on the board and it just makes me want to cry. I was so hopeful that his dental would magically cure him or drop his dose. I feel so defeated.

I have a lot of things going on with work and my dad is still ill. I just need some guidance. I get so sad.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yoshi is no where near the highest dosed cat in the board. And yes, he does need more insulin. Switching to Levemir isn’t going to change that fact. What a cat did in the past does not indicate what he needs now. Cats coming out of remission typically need more insulin that the first time on insulin.

You can always try a new Lantus pen, to put your mind at ease. Have you only been using the one pen so far? Must be getting close to time for a new one anyway. It’s a good idea to mark on your spreadsheet when you start a new pen, so you can track how long it was used. I put stuff like that in the Remarks column.

I see you just increased to a skinny 4.75 units? That is not worth doing when doses get to where Yoshi is now. Skinny and fat doses only make sense when you are close to a good dose and also much smaller doses. At this point, a 0.25 unit change IS a skinny change.

3. Stressedcatmom

I meant that he has the highest numbers. I know he's not the highest dose.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Numbers always look higher with the AT, try to keep that in mind. The majority here use human meters. I spent many months with Neko as both highest dose and highest numbers when we were new. I feel your pain and worry. :bighug: One of the early members here was a vet tech. She had a saying that worked for me “be the tank, a tank always gets where it’s going”. I kept on increasing as per TR, until I no longer needed to. You WILL get there.

5. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

Hey, I was wondering where you went! I hadn't seen you in a while on the Lantus forum!
    Yoshi is definitely not the cat with the highest numbers... look at Mačka, 6 months of very high numbers. We are only shyly seeing better numbers now, at 4, and I am planning on increasing to 0.25 very soon.
    If you used a human meter, Yoshi would be lower than Macka is. :bighug: Yes, we all want to scream and cry, and we don't know why they're still so high, and we worry so much, and it's hell. So for now, you can use a human meter (it's an illusion but lower numbers might put your mind at peace a little), increase again, and tell yourself that you're doing the best you can to help him.
    A type 1 diabetic friend told me that one gets used to higher numbers and does not feel too bad. What doesn't feel good is when you suddenly drop into better numbers. That's what I tell myself when Macka stays high: he does not feel too bad, he's okay.

I love the tank image, it makes a lot of sense.

Stressedcatmom likes this.
  6. Stressedcatmom

Thank you for your support. I’m going to increase tonight to 5U. I start a new pen tomo.

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
  7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'd also encourage you to try to stick a bit more closely to TR. You have been holding on to doses that aren't working for too long -- over a week. I know you have some schedule limitations but it's something to consider. With nadirs where Yoshi's are, you can increase the dose by 0.5u, as well. These are all options, not absolutes, but if you're worried about Yoshi's numbers they are options you may want to consider.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.