Yoshi 9/22 amps 465 +6 436 pmps390 + 3 437

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Stressedcatmom, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

Surprise surprise...YAY red!!! :mad::arghh::( Happy Sunday everyone!

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

You should see what the 3 unit dose is going to do for him by the end of today's cycle.

Work the juice Yoshi!

Stressedcatmom likes this.
  3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

You can do it Yoshi.

4. Stressedcatmom

He doesn’t seem to be working anything, but thank you!! :bighug: He is very talkative this am and being fun. These numbers though

5. Stressedcatmom

:bighug:

6. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Lol, oh Yoshi.

Remember, our cats are more than their numbers! I tell myself that when Ming is being uncooperative. :rolleyes:

7. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

When Tina was still high, I wasn't testing to constantly see the high numbers, so the wait for better numbers didn't seem as long as yours. I was just lucky to find the forum when I did, and lucky my intuition at the time was decent. It was when I started testing like I should have been, that I started seeing the BG finally lowering.
    All that to say, you ARE protecting Yoshi, even though you are hurting because of those numbers right now.
    Totally agree with Crista - I have to remind myself the same - my darling kitty is so much more than this :mad: D!! I'm even sad for all the times I've looked at her as an object to be fixed!

Beth 73, sandscout and Stressedcatmom like this.
  8. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Yoshi, you only have two more cycles before another increase there little guy! Get with the program or your mama is going to be sad...

Hang in there!

9. Stressedcatmom

I know. I’m hesitant to increase again because I don’t know if this is still due to his UTI or dental. I am taking him in on Wednesday to check urine and talk to vet about his teeth. I read today that they can be resistant to insulin from infection

Sue and Luci likes this.
  10. Sue and Luci

Getting those two things checked out won't hurt at all...let's hope once those are resolved he'll get into better numbers - if not be prepared to add the juice until you do see some better numbers. There are a lot of high dose kitties on the forum - it takes what it takes to get that little pancreas going again... :)

11. Stressedcatmom

So you’d suggest increasing even if infections are still present? I’m scared when the infections go away and he will crash bad on such a high dose

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Infections will make numbers a little higher, and require a little more insulin to get the numbers down. But not a lot more insulin. Given where Yoshi's numbers are now, you have plenty of room for his numbers to come down if the infections go away, and he'll still be safe. Besides, it won't happen overnight. As long as you are testing, you will see his numbers start to come down and be able to react with a change in dose if he should hit a reduction earning number. Just try to keep remembering that before bed test at night, so we know how low he is going then and so you aren't missing any lows.
    Just so you know, there are several kitties here who are or have been on much higher doses. My girl had two of what we call "high dose" conditions and got up to a max of 8.75 units. Her high doses had nothing to do with her pancreas, which worked just fine. Rather they were due to a benign tumour on her pituitary and a insulin antibody response. I am not saying Yoshi has that, just that we have people with experience handling much higher doses.

13. Stressedcatmom

I can’t thank you enough for all of your help. You are truly an angel. And so is everyone else rooting for my guy. You guys are the best. I’m not sure if anyone has discovered yet, but I am a MAJORLY anxious person. All of your help really eases my spirit.

My vet told me that “any cat that is on more than 3us of insulin...that’s too much...there is something else going on with the cat” and she said it with such certainty that it makes me bite my lip to draw 3u.

And then I remember that one green and yellow a couple of weeks ago and I wonder if I’m giving him too much. Even though I’m testing sometimes I feel like I’m missing an hour when he’s super low and bounces back the next hour.

Do you think I should try to get the dental soon, before he’s regulated. My vet said his teeth were bad, “but not THAT bad” I’d be willing to bet he needs a few extractions.

Thank you again, and everyone else so much

Also, I think he nadars late... I has happy to see a pink pmps

Sue and Luci likes this.
  14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

We don't suggest that people think about testing for high dose conditions until they get to 6 units. We've had lots of people get up to 5+ units then turn around. Or even above 6 with something else going on. Ming was taking prednisolone daily, but negative for acromegaly. Some conditions, hyperthyroidism and pancreatitis as 2 examples, can mean it's harder to regulate, but not impossible. Glucose toxicity, where they get used to higher numbers, can also contribute to needing a higher dose before you need a breakthrough.

5th cycle after the increase, can be the one they show action. A test tonight would be a good idea. It's hard to tell where their typical nadirs are when they are in high numbers. It will become clearer as his numbers get lower.

15. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Don't think too much about the amount you're giving. They need what they need. Right now, you have some answers as to why his numbers might not be budging: infection, teeth, and/or glucose toxicity. The way to combat these issues is to treat the high numbers and the infections which you're doing right now! :D

16. Stressedcatmom

Why does this cat go up at +3 after insulin instead of down? :banghead:

17. Sue and Luci

Just another affirmation that typical vets don't understand feline diabetes. Try to disregard this comment. You'll get much better information/advice from the collective wisdom of the members of this forum than from your vet. As I may have told you before if I'd listened to my vet - and done what he told me to do - Luci would have been dispensed with nearly two years ago. I found it so difficult to believe that a 'professional' would not know as much as 'some internet group' about this disease...but time told me that was the truth...and he was wrong. He had even warned me about the 'evil internet' and 'those groups'...ha! He was referring to THIS group...little did I know...it takes time, try to be calm and read, read, read - read the posts here, study the Stickies and the spreadsheets of others - watch the patterns - especially in the beginning and what it took many cats to get those numbers down from those blacks/reds and pinks to those lovely greens and blues...there's your solace...it's here...just gotta take the time to look around. :)

18. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Haha Quincy was like that the other day too! I love when they're talkative haha :cat::cat: