yoshi update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Stressedcatmom, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

So Yoshi and I went to the vet Saturday. We had a test for acro and I’m waiting to hear back.

Here are some things we discussed:

Going Bk to prozinc since it worked for him before ECID
    The possibility of him being acro
    The possibility of him going lower and me not catching it. She suggested the Freestyle device...

I am going to wait for the test results and go from there. I think if he is negative for acro, I may go back to prozinc. If he’s positive, I may switch to levimir or Stay on Lantus.

I don’t want to switch insulin this week because we are traveling, but I might consider it next week (I’m off till the 6th). I already have the vial of Prozinc.

The other thought is to wait until April to switch insulin as I will be on break and can monitor. My schedule next semester doesn’t allow for me to test at all in am cycle except for a +2 and pmps.

Nice string of blues last night. It’s also weird that every time I get a low preshot, he goes higher after insulin, well sometimes. As always thoughts appreciated!

I hope everyone is well!

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

If next semester doesn't allow for mid cycle testing, that might be the time for the monitor. Also the time for prozinc as you would shoot the preshot number where as lantus and lev you shoot the nadir which is normally mid cycle. But that's my opinion, let others chime in, you got time yet.

Going high after low preshot could be previous shot wearing out and it's the natural rise until new shot kicks in. Food spike or both.

Stressedcatmom likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Any chance you could get the vet to tack on the IAA or insulin Auto antibodies test to the acro test? Blood goes to the same place so it's just a small add on price. If he comes back negative for acro, you will wonder why.

Yoshi now and Yoshi back then are different cats. I would stick with the long lasting depot insulin for higher doses. I have seen lots of higher dose cats switch from Prozinc to one of the L’s and not switch back, exactly zero go the other way successfully. Can you get a +2 in the PM? Although, Yoshi could be like Neko, the +2 didn’t do much for me. Her onset was later than usual with both Lantus and Levemir. The +2 was almost always higher and she often didn’t drop until the +4 test. And by the way, I don’t think you are missing any lows. A +9 or +10 gave me better info. Even more so on Levemir.

Low blues are awesome! How did Yoshi react then? But I wouldn’t bother with 0.25 unit increases at this point, unless you are already seeing green.

Have a great trip. Don’t be a stranger. :bighug:

4. Stressedcatmom

I asked for the IAA, but she said it was so very rare, and to just test for acro. That in and of itself was 200$. I just put a call in to see if she could add IAA.

Still on the fence about the Prozinc. I’ve had this gut feeling since the old vet prescribed lantus. She didn’t have access to prozinc and it really unnerved me. It did work for him very well. The new vet said she has seen cats go from lantus to prozinc successfully in that some cats respond better to cat insulin. They’re are obviously tons of other factors, but she said it might be worth a try.

+2s usually don’t help. I take them every morning before I leave for wk. I think if anything I should be testing later in the cycle.

Last night when he was blue, he was sleeping. He woke up and played a bit and was pretty hungry but I waited to feed to see if he would come up. He was fine otherwise.

I feel bad on days like today when he gets a lower preshot and then doesn’t seem to be responding to the insulin (he’s been higher than preshot all day). He sleeps a lot. It’s like he has a hangover from partying in lower numbers.

@Wendy&Neko at what number does he earn a decrease on Alpha track? And if he’s below 100 at nadar, I hold the dose for 10cycles, correct? Should I increase and decrease at .5u? I know you said to increase .5u, but wondering about the decrease (if it ever happens). Also, at what number do I stall at this point on this dose?

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

With TR, reductions are earned at 68 on the AT. And yes, first time you see green, post here so we can celebrate with you, and hold the dose 10 cycles.

Today is bounce day, he isn’t used to low blues- yet.;)

IAA isn’t terribly rare. They used to think that about acromegaly too until research showed otherwise. I can point to a few active members whose kitties have it. It is more rare by itself without acromegaly, but Loudogg is one such. Glad you got the add on. I had to say “humour me” a lot to my vet. She practically fell off her chair when both results came back positive. I earned a lot of respect from her and the clinic owner though. He called them “exotic tests”. Thought I was wasting my money.:rolleyes:

6. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

I hope you get a positive report back from your vet :bighug:

7. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the blues last night! It's starting to work! I wouldn't change insulin either, unless it's for another long lasting one like Levemir.
    Good luck with the results :bighug:

8. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Good luck with the tests....I hope you will stay with Lantus - it's a much gentler insulin than Prozinc.

9. Stressedcatmom

Me too! Thank you!

10. Stressedcatmom

Thank you! Have a wonderful trip! I LOVE FRANCE

Penelope and Mačka likes this.