You guys and this board are AWESOME!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by GatorsRBst, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

My cat, Scamper was diagnosed with diabetes almost 3 weeks ago. Through your help, I've completed a spreadsheet and a profile, I've gotten advice to no end (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=97617) and have lowered Scamper's insulin dose slowly from 2 units to 0.5 unit twice a day. Today Scamper had a re-check at the vet's office & the doctor was so impressed with the information he'd compiled!! (I printed out the spreadsheet & brought it with me. He asked if they could keep it for their file on Scamper.) The Doc reinforced that I'd been doing everything right & cautiously suggested that PERHAPS, with Scamp's progress so far, that MAYBE he'd go into remission. He wouldn't guarantee it, and I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but the thought makes me so, so happy! The Doc also encouraged me to continue doing what I've been doing (because of your help and advice) and skipped an expensive test b/c he felt it wasn't needed!

Thank you so much for your help, encouragement, and advice. What you guys do here (especially Deb and Wendy) is invaluable and so impressive (and has already saved me $$)! Thanks, thank you, gracias, grazie, etc!!

If you get a chance, take a look at Scamper's spreadsheet for this weekend on the lower 0.5 unit dose - I think he's doing fantastic so far!! :mrgreen:

2. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks!! Loving his numbers the last few days - hope that you are planning to get a +6?

I just saw a report that says something like 81% cats can go into remission with a good low carb diet and insulin so paws crossed!!

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Way to go!!

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

This is great on all levels! I'll bet you dollars to donuts that keep on doing what you are doing and you will see a cat in remission and one that will hopefully last the rest of his life.

And see drinking our kool-aid - is a good thing right! :lol: :lol:

5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I think you're right on Scamper doing awesome on this 0.5U dose. :mrgreen: Go Scampers!!!! With you shooting those low numbers, that is keeping him in those nice blues and greens. Minor liver panic around +9 yesterday and today but only a slight bounce by pre-shot into those low yellows.

Let's see how he does over the next few days on that dose. We may need to tweak the dose a bit. Down I'm thinking. But not yet.

Remember to catch those "one last test before you go to bed" tests. They can be so informative on how Scampers is doing.

See, home testing saved you that expensive test your vet thought you might need to do. But with the copy of the SS to show him how Scampers' numbers have been running, you were able to save some money. Yeah. :cool: Now Scampers probably is whispering in your eat to go buy him some yummy freeze dried treats to reward him with. :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Wendy, I couldn't do the +6 today b/c that's when we were at the vet's office, but he got stressed out enough that his numbers jumped up (he hates the vet).

Thanks for all the encouragement & Deb I'll keep posting numbers & we'll revisit a dose change idea in a few days (or earlier if you think it needs it). You are SO right about those freeze dried treats - gave him some right away when we got home from the doc's and he forgave me and was purring again in no time! :mrgreen:

7. Deb & Wink

Wendy is fantastic at following up when people have not posted for a while. I'm not so good. So, to get my attention, new post in this thread or PM me.

If he goes below 50, that is an automatic dose reduction. He has not done that yet, although he has been close.

Either PM me or post on the board if you think Scampers needs a dose change. He isn't there yet, but it looks like a distinct possibility.

8. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Hey there

I just checked in to see how things are going and I see you have started an OTJ trial. Can you post it in LL? The guys there would love to know how you are doing.

Its 14 days of 40-130 to qualify as OTJ. Try feeding a few mini meals instead of big meals a day to help the pancreas.

We usually recommend a decrease to 0.1 before going off entirely so if this doent work we can try that dose for a while just to give him a little helo.

Wendy

9. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Wendy, thanks so much for checking up on me... 3 days so far with no insulin shots & holding in the blue/green range, so I'm starting to get pretty excited, as you can imagine. I tried to do the lowest dose possible with the needles I have - that was where I said 0.25 on the spreadsheet, but really had no way of knowing how much less than .5 it was - and he was going too low with his BG, so I felt confident to skip a shot. Then he was still low, so skipped another shot. It wasn't an intentional OTJ trial, it just kind of happened & seemed the right thing to do! I had no idea changing Scamper's diet would have this much of an impact on his health. I definitely need to do something about my own diet, I think! This is inspiring me to start doing the same type of good things for myself!!

I've been home, so I've been doing the mini meals - both cats just seem to like it better that way. I thought it had to do with years of free-feeding, but I'm glad to hear that it is also better for him. When summer is over I won't be able to do it as well, but will try freezing some food to have it thaw while I'm at work & then they can still do the mini meals through the day that way, right?

If Scamper can't keep his BG readings between the 40-130 for 14 days, I'll be happy to try the help of the 0.1 unit of insulin shots, but I'll need guidance how to get that small of a dose in the needle! I had a very hard time trying to get anything less than the 0.5 line...

The vet had told me that anything between 120-180 for his BG was normal, so I didn't realize it needed to be quite that low. It's still early days, and I will do whatever Scamper needs!!

Thanks for the help & for checking in with me. I appreciate it all!

P.S. What exactly is LL? And what exactly do you want me to post there?

10. Deb & Wink

LL stands for Lantus Land. It's another fun name for the Insulin Support Group Lantus TR forum.

11. GatorsRBst

GatorsRBst Member

Thanks, Deb. Will post in LL today.

12. terriy

terriy Member

Congratulations!! Scamper is beautiful! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.