You know, we should probably just ask....

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sue and Oliver (GA), May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

every new poster what meter they are using. Nancey is wondering about her meter when compared to the ReliOn, and after the fiasco with Donna and Denise's Freestyles.

It is discouraging for a new member to get good numbers and work hard to figure those out, and then find out their meter might not be the most accurate.

Just a thought.

2. Catannc

Catannc Member

True, I find it funny though because I used those same meters and my numbers were really within variance whenever I checked.

3. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

I keep wishing there were standard items we included in our signature line - maybe type on insulin, kind of meter, kind of food/amt carbs, I don't know how much would fit - when started insulin, special problems...I filled my signature line until it said, "NO MORE!" And, even now I'll rearrange to try to fit new stuff ;-)

4. dmartini4

dmartini4 Well-Known Member

That is a great idea Sue!
    you are so very right!

5. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

As you can see we posted in our sig that Freestyle burned us. I want as many FD people to know that as possible :D

I also PM’ed a couple people over on health that were using those meters not long after we knew what was up.

I think its a great idea to ask new folks about their meters, and to mention that they might want to test their meter against what their vet uses. We did that after our fiasco and it helped with peace of mind for sure.....

6. Doug N Libby

I favor adding it to the signature line as opposed to just asking because I get confused trying to keep everybody/everything straight in my head...maybe it's my maturing brain cells ;-)

7. pixiegirls & Boy

pixiegirls & Boy Member

Since space is limited in the signature line, abbreviations/initials [3-4 letter codes] could be used to identify items like insulin, meters, food, dosing schedule, etc. so that diagnosis date or other information that people feel should be posted under a signature can be listed. This worked for me a few years ago when character #'s were an issue. We just would need a list (or start a topic) for items that need to be shortened for a key/reference legend so that we all were being consistent with the code.

Some forums used to allow modification of the character length limit, but many do not now, or unsure of how to change layout dimensions.....so shortening, coding of an item might be the easiest way.

A thought anyway, lol. ;-)

8. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

Probably worth noting too:

For the sake of people having questionable results from their meters, I posted on Health about a month ago what I found out when I called the manufacturer of the Relion Confirm. There's a lot of good insight from others on the thread as well...

In case that link didn't come through; the post is from April 7th, and it's titled "METER ACCURACY CONCERNS - what I've learned so far"

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=68038

9. Doug N Libby

I've read that cookie cutter type responses to newbies are discouraged. I'd love to see some kind of standard list of questions/information we cover, though. I know I learned a LOT reading other newbie threads...things I wished people had told me.

Just a thought, while we're throwing thoughts out...

10. pixiegirls & Boy

pixiegirls & Boy Member

The standard list of questions does sound like a good idea. It might also give someone better information upfront instead of needing to ask when something comes up. It could even be a google doc type of fill-in-the-blank. Would help out those who are giving advise as well if they had somewhere they could read all of the pertinent information.

Good idea!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.