Young again cat food question, please help..

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Betchadeb, Nov 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

Hi, I am feeding my girl young again, it is out 24/7. I also feed her tiki cat in the morning and at night when she gets her insulin. The problem is that she is gaining weight which she doesn't need to do. I called Young again and have to call back when the lady who knows the answers to my questions will be in. The lady who answered the phone said that I should not feed anything else, just Young again and I really don't want to do that. What do you all do?? Just strictly young again ?Help

2. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

It's best to keep wet food in the mix. Also, since YA is very calorie dense I would measure out the amount of food calorie wise and only put that out for the day. I know they say otherwise my one of my cats will just eat until all food is gone. So if you cat is 12lbs she only needs about 180 calories a day. I wouldn't put out more than 1/4 cup a day of the YA.

3. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

I plan on keeping the moist food in her diet. My cats don't eat alot of the YA. They just snack on it here and there. That's why I didn't understand the weight gain with Skylar. The boys didn't gain weight. come to find out, YA called and said that it could be because the food I was feeding was too low in fat. YA said that I should feed a food, obviously low in carbs but that the fat should be 1/2 of the protein. so I ordered the
    Tiki Cat Gourmet Carnivore Variety Pack Canned Cat Food, 2.8-oz, case of 12
    Which has
    • 55% protein, 35% fat, 0% carbs
    So I will see what happens now.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Your cat's numbers look pretty consistent. There's always going to be some fluctuations.

5. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

Don't know why this came out in big bold letters?? maybe because I copied and pasted? weird..

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Haha yep that would do it

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

My cats would eat YA until they exploded, if I left it out for them to graze on! If your kitty is free-feeding on YA she will definitely gain weight, as Karen said it is very calorie-dense.

8. minxkohl&mush

minxkohl&mush Member

I tried just feeding my boys the YA. they wanted no part of that. I feed them wet times a day, and keep out the dry for them to pick on. They don't overeat the YA because I think they are getting
    the wet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.