young again cat food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by njlarry, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njlarry

njlarry Member

Does anyone have any experience with Young Again zero carb mature dry cat food?
    I have two, seven year old cats used to always having access to dry food. The non diabetic guy prefers the dry, while my diabetic guy prefers the wet. He was diagnosed a little more than a month ago. He gets two Prozinc injections of 2 units a day. He is still not fully regulated and getting a true curve is not going to happen anytime soon as we both are not good doing it well. Both before injections and mid day his bg is in the 250 to 300 range. Urine dip stick consistently shows only trace ketones and glucose of 500 (30)-not sure what that means. His polydipsia and polyurea syptoms are much improved but his hid leg neuropathy is worse even with B 12 supplements over the past week.
    He currently gets his am injection 8 to 9 am with haft can patte, and pm injection with haft can patte around 630 to 7 pm. When I am home, he gets an extra large tablespoon of wet midday. I know, not exactly 12 hrs apart but best we can do for now. He will sometimes nibble on his brothers dry so I have put out the zero carb dry. BTW, both of my boyz enjoy it over the Rxd dry.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    Reason for edit: spelling
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I just started using Young Again Zero a little over a week ago. So far she's really enjoying it, and I haven't had any mid day bg spikes.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The one I'm using is the regular Young Again Zero food, not the mature one because I have a couple of kitty youngsters in the house too. :) 7 cats ranging from almost 1 to 15.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Young Again is one of the only low carb dry foods available..we figure it's about 5%

That being said, we still prefer that our sugarcats eat only canned or raw because ALL dry foods are dehydrating....they pull water from the body to "re-hydrate" and with diabetics, their kidneys are already under stress....the more water we can get into them, the better

If the cat absolutely refuses to eat canned, it's better than anything else, but it still has it's limitations.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  5. bibfortuna

bibfortuna New Member

Recently they changed their recipe to have pork meal as the first ingredient. After feeding this for about 5 months, halfway through the last bag they got terrible diarrhea that went away after I switched them back to nature's variety raw boost. We do our best to feed our 1 reverted cat all wet but find the nature's variety raw boost, at 12.5% carbs (from the manufacturer) has been working well and our other cat likes it too.

6. Mshaas75

Mshaas75 Member

I use mature zero. All 3 like it. My diabetic also gets wet food and she is the only one with diarrhea so I just ordered the foriflora to help with that. The non diabetic cats had diarrhea at first but it went away

7. chuchunga

chuchunga Member

I just discovered this food a few months ago and it is a GAME CHANGER. Not only does my diabetic cat love it but so do the other cats. It has not made my cats BG levels spike at all. After years of only being able to feed canned wet food this has really changed my life. Especially if you travel. My Tubz has been in remission for a few years now so I no longer have to give him insulin but it was always hard to find someone who could come over and feed the cat twice a day when I traveled. Finally someone has figured out how to make our lives a little easier. The food does have a strong smell but when you have been living with fish flavored canned cat food for years the smell is minimal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.