Young again dry cat food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shirleycat, Jun 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shirleycat

Shirleycat Member

Does anyone feed young again dry cat food ? I'm getting some samples for my non diabetic kitties because they like a bit of kibble. When I spoke to the company they said their zero was made for diabetic cats. Has zero carbs and no filler, corn, wheats, fruits, vegetables etc...she said they have great results, with remission using just this dry food. Everything I have read says no dry for diabetic cats.

2. PlumsMom

PlumsMom Member

I've been feeding Plum this for about 3 weeks now. He will eat it, and as a diehard Purina One kibble addict that's making me happy. (He no longer gets the Purina, of course.) His numbers are coming down quite nicely, I think. Wet is always better but you have to do what you can. Long term I know wet food will be better for him so will keep trying to transition him.

Our 4 month old kitten really likes the YA food too, though we do mainly feed her canned.

3. Shirleycat

Shirleycat Member

Sorry I meant to say beyond young...not that food

4. Shirleycat

Shirleycat Member

From what I have read and what I was told by the company an all dry diet of beyond young has great success, in remission. I read numerous reviews from cat owners that said it works. Yet it goes against the feeding all wet theory

5. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

6. Shirleycat

Shirleycat Member

I've done extensive research...yes I know the theory is no dry. I spoke, with the company and have read numerous reviews of cats going into remission using this food. They have always had high end low carb wet food, in their diets. If this food, puts the diabetic one, in remission that would be great.

7. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I would specifically read this part of the catinfo.org website: http://catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

There's more issues with dry food than just the carb count. The larger problem with any dry food is that it is moisture depleted and causes chronic dehydration in cats, which in turn causes kidney and urinary tract disease. Cats evolved in the desert and do not have thirst drives like dogs and people do. They must have moisture in their food because studies have shown that they never make up for the loss of moisture in their diet at the water dish. Diabetic cats already have added strain on their kidneys because of the diabetes; it's a good idea to relieve that strain as much as possible by keeping them properly hydrated through their diet.

Also, some diabetic cats can go into remission from eating the lower carb dry foods like Young Again, but many cannot. This is because even though this type of food is low carb, it's not low glycemic. All carbs are not created equal, and dry food must have some type of (high glycemic) starch to bind the food togthether--otherwise it would just be a powder. Diabetic cats have different levels of sensitivity to these types of carbs--Bandit can eat canned foods at 9-10% carbs no problem, but if he even has just a few pieces of something like Young Again or EVO dry, his BG shoots up. If your cat is on insulin, it can present problems with regulation. If your cat is in remission, it can cause a cat to come out of remission and need insulin again. Unless your cat refuses to eat canned food, there's no reason to risk the potential problems feeding even a lower carb dry food. Your odds of remission are much better if you stick to a low carb, canned food.

I'm also starting to get seriously annoyed with Young Again, because they seem to be spreading misinformation about their food. While their dry food is lower carb than most dry foods, it's not lower in carbs than many canned foods, and cats that go into remission on it do not go into remission because of their specific food. They go into remission because the carbs were low enough for those specific cats; and if those same cats had been eating a low carb canned diet they still would have gone into remission. I would be curious to see how many of those cats actually stayed in remission. I helped treat a diabetic cat last year who went into remission on low carb canned food, and then her owner decided to introduce Young Again into the diet. The cat was fine at first, and then over the course of 3 months or so her numbers started creeping up and needed insulin again. Sure enough, after changing the food back and a short stint on insulin, the cat went back into remission. The food was a expensive experiment for her, which is why I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    PlumsMom likes this.
  8. Shirleycat

Shirleycat Member

She's been on insulin since February, with only a fair control result, through fructose testing last week.

9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I use YA as a supplement. I do not follow the company recommendations (nothing new there). I want to get more calories into Smokey, so I give him 1/16th of a cup twice a day as snack in addition to his other wet food meals. It's the highest amount of carbs he gets.

Sapphire Skye likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.