Young Again food works

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Los Gatos, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Los Gatos

Los Gatos Member

Twice daily testing and his numbers since feeding him YA.

Over 4 1/2 days it took to work out all the carbs out of his system and I don't know where the end will be. The only thing I have to do now is find the right wet food to supplement. Dry only will be bad for him.

FYI

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You have said that your situation is unique and he might not be able to get into remission with the other cats and him having to eat certain foods. I just wanted to be sure you understand these are not what we would consider remission numbers. We want a cat in the 40-120 range consistently. (70-150 onAlphatrak). If you stop insulin and the numbers stay in the range they are now, I think he will be back in higher ranges soon. Cats fall out of remission often, mostly because of food.

Another range for you to try to definitely keep him under is 230-250 (alphaTrak 250-280). That is thought of as the renal threshold. Over that range, the liver/pancreas is being "taxed" and isn't in a healing position any longer. Most often we think of renal threshold with cats on insulin; the first goal with insulin is to get them under the renal threshold consistently so their organs can heal.

Your cat, your choice. I would just want you to have the best shot at a remisssion chance for him.

3. zzyzzx

zzyzzx Member

Exactly what you you feeding your cat before?

4. Los Gatos

Los Gatos Member

Sue,
    I understand. I'm going away for a few days and need to see what he can do on his own. Otherwise he will get insulin for sure if he is in the 185-200 range and seems to be dropping his glucose numbers now he is eating the YA @ 100%. I will not feed him the YA @100% as he won't be getting the water he needs. I didn't test him this morning as I used the feeder to satiate my vultures. For me, if I have to keep him on insulin the rest of his life so be it. I will not risk his life giving him drop(s) of insulin for the sake of low numbers. I doubt I could get it right 100% of the time.
    I haven't seen anything that tells me that I have to keep his numbers lower than the ~200 number I've chosen as my shot point. With every change I make to him, I need a 3-4 day window for his numbers to stabilize. With this change to the YA, it is looking better for him as it doesn't have all the fillers many foods do have.
    I've always tried to give my kitties good food for them but apparently was misguided and slowly killing them. I need to remedy this somehow.

I was feeding him 100% Purina DM which has ~3% wet carbs previously and his higher numbers showed that. I may have to move to one of the 0-1% carb wet foods and give him a bit of the YA to give him his crunchies.
    Having him on 100% Purina DM dry kibble made his numbers shoot up 2x over a few days, so he won't be getting any more of that. Before he was diagnosed with diabetes, he ate Solid Gold Katzenflocken/Avoderm Avo chicken dry food mix and Wellness chicken for wet (only some of the time) after he was diagnosed it was just Purina DM dry/wet till now where I have him on the YA dry.

5. Los Gatos

Los Gatos Member

Three days consecutively that his numbers have been below 140.

6. terriy

terriy Member

I agree with Sue. I can tell you that CL was always in the 200's and now 3 years later we are dealing with Liver Failure. It takes time and sneaks up on you! You don't even realize it until about 70% of the Liver has been destroyed. I've just learned this info from my vet.

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

The last few days look better. I hope he continues to drop on his own. Remission would be between 70-150 with the majority of the cycle below 130. (AlphaTrak)

8. Los Gatos

Los Gatos Member

Terri,
    I'll look into diabetes/liver failure, thank you.

Sue,
    Since the 16th I've been playing around with his food since he started to stabilize. He was at ~150 avg which shot way up when feeding 100% Purina DM, I brought that down again with a few days of various insulin shots.When I started in with the YA it continued to drop of its own accord.

I think all I'm going to get out of the YA is numbers in the 130's +10 points when I start to give him his wet DM also.
    Thanks for the interest and advice.

9. MelanieJTN

MelanieJTN New Member

My cats wouldn't eat it. I have a large bag that I'd be willing to ship if anyway wants to cover the shipping cost.

10. prairiecat

prairiecat New Member

Did anyone want the food? I am interested if still available. Thanks!

11. zzyzzx

zzyzzx Member

Wysong Epigen seems to be working for me as well. I don't understand why they don't advertise it as a no carb food, but it is. It's also available in 3 flavors (the 90 is Chicken). So there is Fish, Chicken, and Venison.

12. Los Gatos

Los Gatos Member

I'll look into that. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.