Young Again food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by toreishi, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toreishi

toreishi Member

Has anyone had experience with this ? It is outrageously expensive but I am trying to keep crunchy food on my cats’ (both of them- one diabetic and one not)) menu.
    This is the only dry food I’ve found with no carbs.

2. Zoey & Carol

Zoey & Carol Member

I tried Young Again No Carb with my non-diabetic cat (a large Maine Coon), and he really likes it. Be sure to mix it 1/4 to 3/4 of the current dry food at first. I mixed 1/2 - 1/2 and he had horrible diarrhea. I added more of his regular food and he's fine now. I just ordered my second bag. I'm going to still mix it, but try to wean him off his old dry to try to avoid the problems his roommate Zoey has. She occasionally gets a nibble or two, but I don't worry so much about it because she isn't getting a full dose of carbs! My big guy also seems to eat less, which is what the Young Again website says should happen.

Jeanne likes this.
  3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Only one of mine would eat the Young Again food.

4. Jeanne

Jeanne Member

My max has been eating it for 4 months. Loves it eats less. He also has his canned food too. He's been in remission for 4 months now. With no problems.

5. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Young Again has been a saving grace for my two cats. They both love it and get about 3 tables a day spread throughout the day. I know all cats are different so it's a crap shoot. The one thing I hear is most do not like the zero carb for mature cats, I only buy the regular zero carb food.
    My cats also get a 1/3 of a can of FF every 5-6 hours and are both off insulin for about 8 months....we were very lucky.

6. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

If you call young again they will (or did when I called about six months ago) send samples.

7. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

You can call YA and ask for samples. They'll send a small sample bag of both varieties and you can try them out that way for free. I did that and my cat eats both the Mature and Regular varieties.

Another option is Evo dry food. My cat eats that too now. It's also low-carb, high-protein. These are the only two commercial brands that are low enough in carbs.

8. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

EVO spiked my cats numbers, not at first but once they were getting it daily their numbers started to rise.

9. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

EVO spiked my cat's numbers too but in his case it was right away. Young Again didn't, although I only ever used it for a couple of days at a time. That said, many cats on here use EVO with success.

10. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

EVO Cat and Kitten (the purple bag) is the only variety that is low enough carb. There are other varieties that will not be good. My cats go on and off liking it.

There are a lot of different posts on the forum about people using YA food if you look around (search function in the upper right). Some love it, some cats won't touch it, I think I've seen a few got tummy problems from it.

11. toreishi

toreishi Member

Thanks, everyone.
    I had already ordered the samples and both boys loved it.
    Salt (my big diabetic boy) is on non -rx wet and I want to supply some dry for his dental health.
    Mango (my little crf guy) likes it but the high pro gives me concern.

I just wanted to hear some other views/responses before I took the big (financial) plunge.

12. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I am giving YAbto both of my cats, diabetic and civvie cat. They love it! They like both the regular and for mature cats. They were both used to dry and wet before Bubba developed diabetes. I give them each 3 tbsp. through out the day along with FF kitten canned turkey spread out through the day too.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.