? Young Again Mature Health food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by manxcat419, Apr 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the YAZC Mature Health food for a diet-controlled diabetic? Rosa is getting picky with her food - probably the CKD, but she's losing weight she can't afford to lose. And Regan also lost weight at her last check-up and the vet asked me to make sure she doesn't lose any more (her blood results were good, but clearly she had been supplementing her diet more often than we realized with food from our housemate's room - he's now moved out so that isn't an option for her any more). I'm not planning to feed it as the only food - just a small amount to supplement their food intake. I'm really quite nervous of changing anything in Rosa's diet and I don't much like the idea of feeding her dry food at all, but she needs to eat more and her wet food intake isn't what it needs to be at the moment. We've been giving Regan a small handful of a regular grain-free dry food in the evening when we can monitor to make sure Rosa doesn't steal it and Rosa does show great interest in trying to get a little for herself. To be honest, I'm scared and I'm upset - Rosa seems to be getting worse rapidly at the moment and I don't know how to help her. We've gone through a ton of different meds for her CKD and it still feels like she was doing better with no medication for it at all. I'm not ready to lose my girl yet. :(

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry that Rosa is having such a tough time of it lately. I have used YAZC on and off for brief periods for my sugar kitty, but he is extremely carb-sensitive and it did make his BG go up a little bit. It's very concentrated so you don't need to feed as much, and all four of my cats are wild for the taste of it! I have discovered if I put it in the ol' food processor and turn it into a small crumble it works well as a topping for my picky eaters.

FWIW, YAZC says to feed it as the only food, claiming it may raise a cat's BG if it's fed with other foods. something about too high a concentrate of carbs.

Hope Rosa picks up and starts to improve, sending healing vines her way!

3. manxcat419

Thank you for the vines and well-wishes. The lady herself is completely unconcerned of course and is as bouncy and into trouble as much as ever. :p I've tried everything else I can think of - she has never liked Fortiflora, she showed an interest in parmesan cheese for a whole day then decided she couldn't be bothered with it, and she's only really interested in tuna as an occasional treat. She doesn't seem to be nauseous - if I open the bag of Pure Bites she goes crazy for them and will eat as many as I'll give her and she isn't vomiting, but of course she can't live on just Pure Bites and if I put them on her food she just picks them off. She's still eating some wet food, but nowhere near enough - it feels more as though she's bored with the food I'm offering her than that she doesn't want to eat so she's eating the bare minimum she can get by on. Fortunately, she isn't the most carb-sensitive of cats - I was able to go up to 11% carbs with her before it did anything to her BG levels even while she was on insulin and I do still want her to eat what wet food she will so I'd only be supplementing with a small amount no matter what YAZC say. I think I might try them with a small bag just to see what happens with it - I guess Regan can have some too instead of the dry food she gets at the moment.

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

They will send you samples. You might want to try that before ordering a bag in case she decides she doesn't like it.

manxcat419 likes this.
  5. Squalliesmom

If you contact the company I'm pretty sure they will send you a sample, so you can find out whether or not she likes it before committing to a $$ purchase.

I have been having very similar problems with Squallie; he's lost weight, doesn't really want to eat (like Rosa he'll eat the nummy toppings off the food then walk away - right little buggers, aren't they, lol?). I finally started him on an appetite stimulant, seems to be helping some, but not as much as I had hoped. So far no weight gain, but he's only been on it 3-4 days, so we'll see...

Good luck, hope the YAZC really helps her! :bighug:

manxcat419 likes this.
  6. manxcat419

Thank you both. I'm sure she's just trying to drive me insane (not that there's much help needed with that)! ;) It really feels like all she wants is the bits of the food she's decided are good enough (for today...no doubt tomorrow, something different will be her favorite). We are due back at the vet next week, so I will ask them about an appetite stimulant - I don't know how well they work with a cat that's just being picky as opposed to a cat that's been put off food by nausea, but anything's worth trying. :)

I will definitely contact YAZC for a sample...I can just guarantee that if I drop $50 or so on a bag of it, she'll decide it isn't good enough and she wants something entirely different!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

That's what happened to us!! The samples were a huge hit....the $50 bag had maybe 10 pieces eaten out of it and now I get the "you must be delusional if you think we're going to eat that" look

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. manxcat419

I can almost guarantee that the day a $50 bag shows up, she'll decide the wet food is the best thing ever...she kind of has to since she's a cat! :p But I've got to try something - right now she's perfectly happy and I'm losing my mind over her not eating. I'm sure she's been reading that book about plotting to kill her human and she's decided stress will do it. ;)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  9. Squalliesmom

I think she and Squallie must have read the same book, lol!

manxcat419 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.