Your experience feeding OTJ cats

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sophie, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sophie

sophie Member

Hello!
    I have 2 OTJ cats, Pudge (male, about 13 yrs old, found as a feral kitten, diagnosed Dec. 2011) & Little One (female, about 9 yrs old, date of original diagnosis is unknown as I adopted her less than a year ago from a very elderly former neighbor). Both had been on ProZinc until approx. mid 2012 when ProZinc shortage hit & we switched to Levemir.

I've noticed that both cats get lower BG levels when eating Before Grain chicken or turkey than Fancy Feast classics. Both like FF more than BG so, of course, eat more of FF at a sitting than BeforeGrain & the amount eaten at a single meal influences their sugar level. The cost is about the same. My question: did anyone notice this with these specific products? Others? I know that with Little One, I re-started her on Levemir, after thinking that she was OTJ, when her BGs hit about 130 after she had been in 2-digits for days. All comments would be most welcome. I posted a similar question on the PZI forum.
    Sincerely, Sophie

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Are the carb calories about the same? And if different, which has more?

Is the volume eaten the same? If one is more palatable, more may be eaten, thus glucose may go up.

Are the carbs from the same things? I'm thinking glycemic index here.

3. sophie

sophie Member

Hello & thank you!
    Carbohydrates at about 5% for Fancy Feast & 4% for Before Grain. Yes, both cats definitely like FF feast more than BG & will eat more FF at a sitting. They graze on BG but feast on FF which I permit-here lies my answer! I think I needed to have my hand held because I'm still concerned that 'something' will go wrong in their remission & we'll be back to insulin.

Would love to hear other experiences. Know that once a diabetic always a diabetic, but so much easier to have a diet-controlled one!
    Sincerely, Sophie

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Just keep an eye on things. You could mix the Fancy Feast 50/50 with the Before Grain and see if that levels out things.

You might make yourself a weekly checklist of things to monitor - oral health (tartar, gingivitis = see vet), urine (lakes & ponds OR dribbles -> see vet), feces (rocks or pudding poo may require a vet visit), and so on.

5. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

What varieties of FF are you feeding? I recently discovered that all of the FF Chicken Feast varieties contain Fish as an ingredient so I cut all of the FF out of their diet (my diabetic is allergic to red meats so the Chicken Feast were pretty much the only ones he could eat). I immediately noticed ~10-20 point drop in his BGs. I don't know if they've changed the recipe on it, but I'm wondering if they've added something more than just the fish that has increased its carb content from when Dr. Lisa last got her info from them. Pet Food companies are notorious for doing that, and some even change the formula every 6 months or so.

6. Dale 'n' Chip

Dale 'n' Chip Well-Known Member

What about FF Turkey and Giblets Feast?
    Any way to know what the "Liver" and "Meat By-Products" might be?

Can any of these items change with each batch even without a formula change?

7. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

IIRC, the FF Turkey and Giblets does not contain fish ingredients. I buy the Friskies Special Diet Turkey and Giblets (larger size, cheaper cost), so I never bothered with the FF Turkey and Giblets.

The last question re: formula change vs. batch, I don't have any idea. I'll see if I can dig around online and find some information on this (but don't hold your breath ;-) )

8. Dale 'n' Chip

What is the "Liver" and "Meat By-Products" as in what species? Could it be anything?

Beef Liver, Fish Liver? And what kind of Meat?

If not an ever changing variety? Practically must have legal parse every syllable. :oops:

9. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain it doesn't have any beef in it, otherwise Michelangelo would have vomited it right back up the few times I've fed it to him (yes, he's that sensitive! :eek: ). Other than that, most likely the by-products are things like feet, beaks, feathers, bones, and other delectable turkey bits and pieces (aka MSP).

10. Dale 'n' Chip

That makes almost too much sense to be true. Might be why it sometimes says "Pork Liver" instead of just "Liver."

I don't have a lot of faith "Meat By-Products" doesn't come from different animals or why not call it "Turkey By-Products?"

I'll bet Michelangelo does make a good canary in the coal mine to rule out beef. Now we just need a test for fish.

I like the Friskies Special Diet version better, but it's only at the pet stores which are not nearby. FF is just everywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.