? Yum and metronidazole

Discussion in 'Lantus (Glargine) / Levemir (Detemir)' started by MJW, Sep 22, 2017.

1. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Yum had yellow pudding diarrhea a week and a half ago. She stopped eating for a day. Now she has a huge appetite, like 380 kcal per day. Her poos are mostly normal, maybe 1/3 are soft and yellowish. She was in Tuesday this week for BP (130, woohoo!) and kidney (BUN 63. Creatinine 1.8, Phosphorus 6.7) tests. Her vet suggests a course of metronidazole.

Any comments on metronidazole?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Well-Known Member

How long a course of metronidazole is the vet suggesting? It can work wonders, but I am not fond of long term use. There is the odd cat who get neurological symptoms from it, and it's not good if kitty has liver issues. Oh, it also tastes awful, so you need to compound liquid or gelcap a pill or something like that.

MJW and tiffmaxee like this.
  3. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    I haven't picked it up yet. Will probably be one week of pills. I assume the neurological symptoms are reversible.

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I used it for 7-10 days without issues. You want to give the lower end of dosing. I felt my vet was suggesting too high a dose and gave less.

MJW likes this.