? Yum's numbers going up: what to do and AM/PM shots

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MJW, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Yum's numbers keep drifting up. At first it was just the pre shots, but today it is the nadir. Her Lantus bottle is 2.5 months old, so I rushed out to buy a fresh one. The old one isn't cloudy or anything, so it is probably wishful thinking to blame it on the insulin. If her nadir is higher again tomorrow with the fresh Lantus, should I take her in for a blood panel, to look for signs of an infection? I have been so disappointed that her pancreas has stopped showing signs of healing, and now we are going the wrong way. Maybe this is just the awful dance were are in.

Also, since her nighttime numbers are always higher than her daytime numbers, is it acceptable to give her a fat shot in the PM and a regular shot in the AM? Humans sometimes have a "dawn phenomenon", where their BG shoots up just before they get up. They are supposed to eat a late snack to ward that off. I used to think that Yum was just bouncing in the evening.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Relax, don't try to over analyze each cycle. It will drive you crazy. Look at the nadirs she getting in the dose. I see numbers in the 70's on this dose, which is pretty good, especially since you are using the AT. She might even be going lower during the day, then doing a mini bounce at night. I would try mixing up the tests a bit and getting some +3 or 4 tests to see if she is dropping earlier.

I think your old insulin is fine. Most people get 5/6 months out of them if handled properly. What is more a concern is the question marks beside yesterday's dose on the SS. Inconsistent dosing can impact the numbers. We find the same dose AM and PM is best.

And finally, it's common for a cat to need to go up in insulin dose, before going down again. I wouldn't increase Yum's dose now, but don't worry if it has to happen in the future.

Kris & Teasel and MJW like this.
  3. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Okay. Deep breaths.

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  4. Wendy&Neko

5. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

I am trying to use the calipers. It's so frustrating that the scale is mis-printed to different degrees on different BD syringes, besides the fact that they are almost always crooked. And why don't they make super skinny syringes so we could do more accurate doses? I often start trying to fill her syringe accurately an hour before she needs the shot. The plunger sticks and I shoot past the dose. I start over. I double check everything 3 times. It shouldn't be this difficult. More deep breaths.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  6. Nicole Z

Nicole Z Well-Known Member

I agree! I wish there was a special syringe out there better marked for those of us attempting micro shots!

MJW and LizzieInTexas like this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Calipers made my life so much easier. Also meant if DH was shooting, we would do a consistent dose.

You said the plunger sticks, are you pushing and pulling sthe plunger a few times first? There is a layer of silicone in there and moving the plunger a few times first helps spread it out. I also twisted the plunger for small changes rather than pushing.

MJW and LizzieInTexas like this.
  8. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Yes, I read here about (1) exercising the plunger before drawing insulin and (2) twisting instead of pushing. I use those tricks. Maybe I can improve my twisting technique. Sometimes I get frustrated. My new calipers from Home Depot will let me use all the misfit syringes I set aside in the past. I find I can make a mark on the plastic syringe with them as a guide mark. The syringe I used this evening is off by .4 to .5 units from the ones I was favoring in the past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.