Yup. Another one bites the dust...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Zee, Mar 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zee

Zee Member

HELLO FELLOW CAT PEOPLE. IM THREE ALMOST FOUR WEEKS FROM DIAGNOSIS.
    THOUGH MANAGING INJECTIONS OK IM EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED THA FOR NOW ON MY WEEKLY VISIT FOR A BLOOD TEST - GLUCOSE LEVELS ARE UP!

IM BEING TOLD TO BEPATIENT... ANY ONE OUT THERE HAD SIMILAR EXPERIENCE?

MUM (pusscat) IS 14, OVERWEIGHT (Trying to tackle weight) IS AN ABSOLUTE DARLING. GENTLE AND EXTREMELY OBLIGING SO MAKES INJECTING EASY.

WOULD APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK..

ZEE AND MUM. 5CB0D92B-7FC1-4D54-A208-B191078838BB.jpeg

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Zee and Mum. We would be happy to provide information and support while you learn about feline diabetes and effective treatment. She's a real beauty.
    Would you please take a few minutes and create a signature so that Mum's information is available when you post? Then we don't have to keep asking, and you answering, the same questions. This way we know what kind of insulin, how much, what kind of food and so on.
    Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

A good start is to read the Getting Started and Education sections on the Home page. I know that you are giving insulin injections but there is more to diabetes treatment than insulin. We will be happy to help you learn about testing the blood sugar at home, so you don't have to take Mum to the vet every week, saving her stress and you money. And home testing is the best way to know, real time, just what the BG (blood glucose or blood sugar) levels are, to be sure it's safe to inject that insulin every day and help prevent any hypo events (very low blood sugar). In addition we can help you, if needed, find low carb food that is going to help lower the BG.

This is a very supportive community, most of us began the 'sugar dance' with confusion, not enough information and wondering "what do I do now?" You are in a great place!:cat:

Zee likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. Bg fluctuates as does insulin needs which is why we advocate home testing.

4. Zee

Zee Member

5. Zee

Zee Member

Thank you so much. Can’t find “signature” to click on?
    I’m using an I pad..

6. Zee

Zee Member

7. Zee

Zee Member

Sorted with signature. Thank you...

JanetNJ likes this.
  8. Idjit's mom

Great, I'm glad you figured it out. Zee, where are you located..just generally so we know what country you are in and can make recommendations about supplies and food.

Mum is eating Hills D/M dry and that is very high in carbs, which isn't great for a sugar cat. We do recommend transitioning to a wet low carbohydrate diet. The dry food is like giving a human diabetic waffles and syrup for breakfast, then the BG shoots up and you have to give a larger dose of insulin. You said you weren't happy with the recent blood sugar results at the vet, and this may be contributing to the high glucose levels. Does,or has, Mum ever eaten canned food? If it's possible, it would be a good idea to see if she would like some. Then you could gradually wean her off the dry to an all wet low carb diet.
    If you are willing to see if Mum would eat canned food, it's best to be testing the blood sugar at home, as changing the diet can significantly lower the blood sugar and you would need to know that progression, to keep her safe.

Can you tell us what the blood sugar test results have been at the vet since the diagnosis?

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Great job!

10. Zee

Zee Member

We are based in London. Mum used to eat chicken as well as biscuits. However she hasnt liked canned cat food but I could try. She went on the Hills on vet recommendations! Her first reading was 21, it than went down to 19 but has gone up to 23-24.. due to be tested on Tuesday..

11. Idjit's mom

Yes, the vets here in the states usually recommend the Hills D/M food, but I think they get their "education" from the vendors. Here is some information that Elizabeth and Bertie wrote for fellow UK'ers.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-vit-b12-and-other-need-to-know-stuff.137376/
    It might be worth your time to find a can or two and see what Mum does.

Zee, I think it would be best for us to move our discussion over to the Main Health forum at this point. This forum is just the welcome mat, and I would really like to get more eyes on these issues. So, please start a new thread HERE on that forum. If you use a title such as New diabetic cat, need help and information or something to the effect, it will get more attention right away. It's helpful to be specific in your titles so that people can know what's going on.

I am providing information and as this is a peer reviewed board, I would sure like to have others see what I'm telling you, so I don't make any errors or goofs. When you post there, I will provide a link to our messages here so others can catch up. OK?
    Also, it would be great if you would put Britain or UK in the signature or in the profile information. We have members from all over the world and it's helpful to know in order to provide good information and advice. See you there :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.