Zach's mom - needs help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Deb & Wink, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

2. Deb & Wink

Hope you found this new topic I started for you.

Looks like you need advice on getting Zach to eat. Is that correct?

Oh, you forgot to tell us your name.

3. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

4. sophie

sophie Member

Hi Zach's mom,
    a couple of warm moist washcloths always helped my Pudge & me with syringe feeding. Wiping the mess quickly is a blessing, no caked food on kitty's face. I did a bit of watery syringe feeding every hour while intermingling it with plain water. When I got really concerned that he wasn't getting enough calories, I offered him about 5 pieces of dry kitten food (Pudge was in remission so I knew that dry food might knock him out of remission). Pudge ate the dry food & looked for a bit more. Took a drink, ate on his own. We are working on a 2nd remission. Many kitties love Stella & Chewies raw freeze dry dinners - mine love it dry but hate it reconstituted. That's just about covers my experience with syringe feeding. Please let us know how your Zach is doing. How are you doing? Don't forget to give yourself a treat for being such a good mamabean! We all know how hard you're working to help Zach. Best wishes, Sophie

5. zachnic

zachnic New Member

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome! My name is Cindy and daddy's name is Marty. We have another black cat, (both are black) named Niccodemus and Zach's full name is Zacchaeus. Nicky and Zach for short.

We were able to get some beef baby food, and gave him about 7 ml of baby food mixed with water. I hope that wasn't too much. He didn't fight us at all! YEAH!!!!!
    We wrapped him up in a towel, and he liked that. We gave him the 2 units of insulin the vet said to do, and he got up too quick. He did jump down afterward, and did not land on his feet. I hope he is not disoriented or hurt!

The only thing I am concerned about now is his temperature. It was 99.8 when we left the vets, and I don't know if I should give him the heating pad or not for the night. The room they are in is 84 degrees, he has his blanket around him, and Nic is beside him. They are in a large kennel together, and I am afraid he might get dehydrated if I put on the heating pad to get his temperature up to the normal 101. Does the insulin help get his temperature up? Does that help him get his appetite back? I am not too sure of much at this point! I am so glad I found y'all!

6. sophie

sophie Member

Hello Cindy, Marty & Zach. Welcome!

I don't know about the heating pad since it appears that their room seems to be quite warm. Will you syringe feed during the night? Perhaps, you could look in on him?

What insulin is he on & for how long now?
    What dose did the vet start Zack on?
    I don't know if insulin would have any effect on his temperature unless the dose is too high. Anyone?
    What do you mean when you say "disoriented?" Please describe.
    Did the vet suggest any appetite stimulating pills?
    How old is Zack? How much does he weigh?

Ask all the questions that occur to you, that's why we're here. Take care, Sophie

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Insulin should make the calories available for use, which will include some thermal regulation.

Are you home testing?? I've conerned about 2 units and minimal food consumption causeing a hypo. (I'll go look up your other posts now)

8. sophie

sophie Member

Hi Cindy, how is Zack doing today? How was your & his night? Is he eating? Did you check on him last night? As asked above, are you testing his blood glucose before injecting insulin? I was so glad you wrote last night.
    Best wishes, Sophie

9. zachnic

zachnic New Member

Hi everyone. Thank you so much for your prayers, concerns, and advice. We lost our lil baby Zacchaeus on Friday night at 9:18 pm. We knew he was sick, but I hope we took good care of him best we could. From May 27 until June 14, he was diagnosed with diabetes, and told what to do to make him better. We took him for treatments on the 28, 29 and 30 of that week. The vet was amazed he was doing so well on 1 unit of insulin.

He came home for over a week, and we thought he was doing better until June 11, Tuesday, when we refused to eat again. We took him Wednesday and Thursday to the vet to get more fluids for the second time of treatments and had him on the heating pad because his temperature went down to 99 degrees and his glucose went up to 485. They tried to feed him, but he wouldn't eat. He drank catsip milk. After the two treatments, his glucose went down to 209, and his temperature was still at 99.8. The vet said he didn't need to come back on Friday, and the glucose was going down so he felt we could take care of him at home. He was so weak on Thursday night, and worse Friday morning. We fed him for over an hour both times with baby food and a syringe. We were up till 3:00 am on Thursday night/Friday morning and Marty got up to check him again at 6:30 am to make sure his blanket was on him and he was staying on the heating pad. When we fed him he had trouble sitting up.

We had to go out in the morning, but we checked on him again before we left. He was off his heating pad again, but looked happy and content with his little head up, and we thought that after feeding him 20 ml of baby food and water, and then 5 ml of water, he was OK. He didn't get sick, so we thought- good he kept it down. Then we gave him his 2 units of insulin as the vet ordered, and said we would be back. We stayed away for so long, and as my husband is a minister, we stopped by the hospital to see a parishioner since we were on her side of town.

When we got home, we found him out of his bed, and on the floor. We don't know how long he was there, and I feel terrible that he was there, and I wasn't there to make him more comfortable. We took him to the vet, and they once again for the third time, gave him fluids on the pad. He was still alive, and we even got a few more moments to sing him his favorite songs, tell him what a good boy he is, and that we would take care of Nicky for him. He even blinked a few times for us as we held his little head to say he loved us. Then, he lost his functions and Marty knew he was suffering, so even though the vet said we could go to the ER, we knew it was his time.

I feel so awful. Why were we not there when we knew he was so sick? Was he scared? Cold? We don’t know how long he was out of his bed. Nicky was around, but not near him. Now, we wonder, how is he going to be? They were inseparable. Zach was his daddy, and we know he knows something is up. How can we help him? We all miss Zach so much!

Thank you for being there for me! I am glad we found y’all!

10. zachnic

zachnic New Member

I forgot to tell y'all that Zacchaeus was 16 years old, never sick in fifteen years, until 19 days ago, and was on insulin for only those days.

11. Deb & Wink

Zacchaeus. You have left this earth too soon and will be sorely missed by your momma and poppa and Nicky. Please send them a sign that you are ok. You have earned your wings little one. wings_cat

Don't second guess yourself and keep asking " If only I had done this or done that." You did the best you could and loved him with all your heart.

We have all lost beloved pets and know how you feel. Be at peace with your decision.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.