Zamrich - Here is your new thread

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Rob & Harley (GA), Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

I've copied your post below over here so you will have your own thread.

Hi All

I have a regulation question and cant seem to work out how to start a new topic so thought i would post here and see if i get any anwsers.

My cat was diagnosed with diabetes in Oct last year. Noticed weak hind legs and took him to vet who tested for diabetes.

We started him on insulin immediately (Actraphane) starting at 1 unit twice a day and building up to 3 unit twice a day.

We also got him onto diabetic food (both Hills and Royal Canin).

We only did random glucose tests and when we found him coming down to below 4 (76) we decreased the dose to 2 units twice a day.

When i did his glucose curve we were shocked to find his glucose going down to as low as 2.2 (41.8).

We stopped giving insulin immediately and have been monitoring his glucose levels each day.

His glucose now varies between 4.6 (87.4) and 9 (171).

My question is, am i doing the right thing stopping the insulin? Also, is it normal to get low readings first thing in the morning after he has eaten (as low as 4.6)?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Rich.

2. Rob & Harley (GA)

I'm in the US and havn't heard of your insulin, can you tell us about it?

I've googled it but havn't found any information specific to Actraphane. I'll keep trying.

The low bg numbers would indicate that the dose is too high. Are you doing the testing yourself or is the Vet Clinic testing?

Keep coming back and asking questions, well help you figure this out.

Edit: I re-posted this in Health for him.

3. Rob & Harley (GA)

Thanks for finding it Carl, I'll check out the link. He is in Zambia so may not have alot of choices. I reposted his question in Health for him and he found it there and is posting.

4. Rob & Harley (GA)

It sounds more like a P insulin than an L. We should follow up on him as he may come back here to our group.

5. Thanks:)
    I just posted a couple times in it too. It sounds sort of like a humulin/novalin type.
    C

6. Rob & Harley (GA)

It said that it has dual suspensions, one is fast onset and the other is time released but didn't mention a depot. So it may last longer than N.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.