Zarley's not doing well today (but improving)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tracy0504 and Zarley, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tracy0504 and Zarley

Tracy0504 and Zarley Member

)The little guy was acting fine yesterday. I didn't test beyond AM and PM because I was out most of the day getting supplies for this snow storm -- we're supposed to get well over 2 feet of snow by tomorrow (I was stocking up on diabetic and non cat supplies, food, emergency equipment, etc.)

I woke up very early this morning to use the bathroom and usually when Zarley hears that I'm up he uses that as an opportunity to beg for food. No begging this morning. No Zarley at all. He was in his usual place (up on a table) snuggled into a ball but not moving when I called him or mentioned food. I immediately took a BG reading. He was at 261. I put out some food and (very unlke him) he paid no attention. One of his blankets had barf all over it so I could tell he'd thrown up during the night (I gave him extra rich but low carb Fancy Feast yesterday).

A little past his usual AMPS, he was at 233. After I tested him, I put him down to see what he would do. He walked around a bit and seemed okay. He walked to his water bowl and just stared at it. I gave him fresh water and (thankfully) he drank. I put more food out. Absolutely no interest. He won't even look at it. I even tried the higher carb stuff he usually half knocks me over to get to. Again, no interest.

I'm working (from home) and keep checking on him as often as I can. He's back on his table and curled up asleep (not in a strange place in the house and not in the "on the side" cat death pose). When I talk to him, he purrs, but he doesn't move a muscle.

I didn't give him a shot this morning. With him not eating and not acting right, I was afraid to. Maybe it's just a belly ache. Or maybe it's his time to go. I don't know. Going to the vet isn't an option either way (everything in the county is closed or will be within a few hours due to the storm).

He was just cleaning himself. I take that as a good sign. He still won't eat, though. I'm remaining calm so I don't stress him out.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

Re: Zarley's not doing well today

do you have strips to test for ketones? if so, you need to get a ketone test as soon as you can get some urine from him. if you don't have them, can you run out and get some before the storm comes? they would be in the diabetes section at any store/pharmacy. they will have either ketostix or ketodiastix. you can just get ketostix if that's what you find because 1, they are cheaper and 2. you are testing glucose levels with your meter anyway.

if he has ketones, he can't be snowed in at home for days. don't get scared or panic-y, just with the impending weather we need to think ahead if this is what is starting with him

3. Tracy0504 and Zarley

Yes I have ketone strips. I test him at least every other day. I haven't seen him pee yet this morning. When he does I will test him.

Regarding "can't be snowed in for days" we don't have a choice -- which is why I'm so worried. The weather isn't impending. It's here and the roads are already bad (a total of two feet is expected by tomorrow). The Governor has already declared a state of emergency. Nothing is open (except maybe the hospital emergency room).

4. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

well, let's see what the ketone test says. sometimes if they have ketones developing their breath will smell acetone like. i think that's when they are quite developed though.

do you have any pepcid ac? regular 10mg stuff? if so you could give hime 1/4 of one of those pills if you think he might just have an upset tummy

5. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

6. Tracy0504 and Zarley

I just "caught" him eating a few bites of food. *breathing*

Will test him when he pees.

7. ChloesMama

ChloesMama Member

*fingers and paws crossed* hope things go up from here

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

A couple of thoughts:

Zarley is having some big swings in BG numbers. It's probably not making him feel very good and that may be why he's behaving like he is.

If he does have an infection brewing, whether it's pancreatlitis or any other infection, no insulin (or not enough insulin) plus and infection is a recipe for diabetic ketoacidosis. Zarley does need to eat in order to not have his BG drop too low but he also needs insulin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.