Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by Meridith and Zeke, Jun 13, 2017.
We just finished 2nd round of 2 teaspoons of paroxide. Still not throwing up. Any suggestions?
Can you call your vet or the nearest ER clinic for advice?
Spoke with vet and she said best not to make him throw up and that he would have to eat a lot before there would be any danger.
Just did. Was in panic mode since what I was finding when searching was a little frightening.
The begonia plant’s juices and sap contain microscopic poisonous, needle-shaped crystals. All species of begonia are toxic to pets. If the animal consumes it, he will develop the common signs of poisoning, including drooling, difficulty swallowing, and vomiting. However, treatment is typically not necessary unless an inordinate amount of its poisonous parts has been consumed, as this plant is one of the more mild poisonous plants. The tubers are the most toxic component of the plant. The toxicity of a begonia comes from its insoluble oxalates, which come from oxalic acid. Oxalic acid is one of the strongest acids found in nature. Although the rootstock, tubers, and roots are poisonous, the flowers of the begonia are edible and are still used in some cultures for their tart flavor. They may be used to treat fevers and syphilis, or in cleaning weapons.
It look like the most toxic parts are the underground once.. Keep watching..
was it vet suggested measure?
Yeah, that is how my vet explained it. Thanks for the full info though. We tend to panic when it comes to our babies and furrbabies don't we lol.
I went by what I was finding online. 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds of body weight.
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/begonia (also has a poison control phone number at a cost). They have a huge list of toxic plants you can check.
Also known as: Wax Begonia.
Toxic parts: Mostly the tuberous root.
Type: Tender or hardy perennial, or grown as an annual, depending on climate.6Native to: Mexico, South and Central America, Asia, South Africa.
In the U.S.: Cultivated in temperate climates.
Grows between six and 30 inches tall.
Broad, shiny leaves can be red or green, and sometimes striped or multi-color.
Small 4-petaled red, white, orange, or pink flowers, two of the petals are much smaller.
Clinical symptoms/outcomes include:
Mouth irritation and burning.
I hope you have time to monitor the BG during this Begonia, very stressful incident... Especially if you trying to induce vomit. Zeke's +3 reading is lower than his pre shot was and might be telling you to watch out for further lowering...
You know, when it rains it pours...
This site talks about symptoms and treatment:
I know I do..
I read th same and fingers crossed it'll work.
His +5 is 296. I went ahead and did a quick test before we started stressing him out badly. He is looking more relaxed so will probably do a +7 or 8 just to make sure all is still good.
Thank you for this info. I will let me daughter read it too to help calm her nerves.
Meredith, how is Zeke doing now?
He is being his normal self, though his +9 was a little on the higher end with all the stress. He is starting his normal nightlu vigil of sitting on the counter waiting for dinner lol.
Thankfully, it sounds like he may not have suffered too many ill effects from the begonia leaf, then! I remember when my little girl got hols of a piece of meat with onions on it; I was worried sick, and everybody kept telling me about all the dire things that were going to happen to her as a result. I was just overwhelmed with fear, anxiety and worry, so I can well understand your concern! So glad it seems to be a non-event!
Yeah, we watch foods carefully because he loves to pilfer since he got diagnosed with fd. He was quick with this. I wasnt even out of the room long. I will definitely be more careful after this scare, that is for sure.
Yeah, my little Bengal girl is quick too, and now my big Maine Coon has started trying to eat all sorts of plant materials - he eats the rabbit's hay! He also tried to eat a dried up rose leaf, but I got to him before he could consume it. This is new behavior for him, and it makes me wonder if there is something missing in his diet.
There are lots of poisons that you should never induce vomiting on, so although I know that the first thing most of us think of is to induce vomiting, it's really important to call the poison control center or your vet before you give peroxide or syrup of ipecac
I'm glad this time there were no ill effects....other than probably a confused cat
"Mama....that tastes awful....it can't be food!!"
I stopped having houseplants or flowers of any kind...was just easier than worrying about checking every plant I saw that I wanted against the "not around cats" list
That's the route I went, too. Too many dangerous plants to risk it, and all the ones I like are on the NO list!
Only plant I keep inside is the occasional cat grass . Glad Zeke is ok. Lucy, hope you figure out what's going on with (I think) Vinnie
Yes to cat grass. My three love it. It might satisfy Zeke's craving for herbaceous objects.
@Yong Thanks, Yong. Yup, you got it, it's Vinnie.
Thanks, I will see about some cat grass. My gremlin also loves eating plants. The only other plant we have are spider plants that aren't toxic, but they are hallucinagin lol. We keep them hung and away from any furniture that helps them climb high.
Separate names with a comma.