Zener's PMPS 330 ATrak; +3 298

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Anne & Zener GA, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Zener's Condo 7/1/11

Good morning, shot a reduced dose last night at 1.25 u and +2 values were up okay. Checked +11 this morning and back up to 388. Trying to decide if should stay with 1.25 u again today or go back to 1.5 u. I am trying to get Zener's dose stable before pet sitter next week, and Jill advised me we may want to use a reduced dose during that time anyway.

Last night had trouble getting Zener to eat and he is not asking for food this morning. Will be time to do AMPS in about 15 minutes. And start the "will you eat this" dance.

2. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Re: Zener's +11 388 Dose Help, shot reduced dose PM

when are you leaving?

I would probably stay with the 1.5 if you can. He's getting some good numbers on it. :smile: But yes, usually we recommend dose reductions when a caregiver is out of town, so you would want to back off when you leave.

3. Anne & Zener GA

We are leaving on Wednesday mid-day, after AMPS and +3. Will have a pet sitter who is a vet tech, and she will do AMPS, +6 and PMPS. One of our struggles has been getting Zener to eat, and he is not acting interested in food this morning. I also need to move his shot forward about 15 minutes to get him from an 8:30 shot time to a 7:20 shot time for the work schedule for our pet sitter. I'll be testing him in just a few minutes, and will go with the 1.5. I'll be home most of the day so can check often. Thanks!

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

some of the "get them to eat tricks" are to heat the food to increase the smell, sprinkle with something delectable - parmesan cheese is one, anything you use for treats is another (tuna flakes, freeze dried chicken).

i think karrie is really experienced at wheedling kitties to eat and doing assisted feeding. i'll flag her down and ask her to come give you some ideas if she's around.

5. Anne & Zener GA

Re: Zener's AMPS +380 not eating

Thanks Julie, I've tried all those including fortiflora and he just sniffs at it. Last night we resorted to cypro and he ate like a lumberjack. This morning he is acting a bit punk and not interested at all. He ate a tiny bit of freeze dried chicken, then we gave him his 1.5 u dose, and 1/4 cypro pill because we need for him to eat more. Thanks for asking the food enticer for help!

6. Anne & Zener GA

Re: Zener's AMPS +380 not eating

Zener had a AMPS of 380 and gave him the 1.5 u. He is not interested in eating at all now, and acting just a little punk this morning. Urination and drinking are the same, no changes. I gave him 1/4 cypro table and that should get him eating in about an hour.

07/02/11
    AMPS 380

7. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Re: Zener's AMPS +380 ATrak not eating

I'm not sure if this is related or not, however, have you checked him for ketones recently? It doesn't hurt to rule out anything and everything.

Sending tons of healing vines for Zener. I hope that he'll start eating for you very soon (got that, Zener? You need to eat, little buddy.) *HUGS* you 2.

8. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Lots of experience with assist feeding but none with brain conditions. On the Yahoo feline assisted feeding forum though there was a cat that had a stroke who was assist fed and had a good quality of life. David and Solace.

I would recommend a few things.
    1. A baby/shipping/pet scale. This way you can also monitor weight to make sure Zener is getting enough food. You need to make sure he is eating enough to maintain his weight. Diabetes and not eating can make this a challenge - you do not want to deal with a sick liver on top of it. Cats can get fatty liver/feline hepatic lipidosis if they lose too much weight (resorting to using body fat to make up calories and clogging the liver).

2. Can you change his feeding station to make it more manageable for him to eat? Making an elevated feeding station? If his challenges are physical changing how he eats modifying feeding setup may help.

3. Do his issues affect his sense of smell? What are you feeding right now?

4. Have you ever assist fed with a syringe? Its very easy to do and most cats adjust to it. It takes some practice. There is a video of this on the Yahoo FAF site along with tutorials and tips for hesitant eaters. Some cats like hand feeding or feeding on a baby spoon. Pure meat babyfood often tempts them. Some cats need their engines primed - a couple mouthfuls of food and they start eating on their own. Chicken dust helped Maverick to eat when he didn't want to. He ate wet food when it was made into a soup so he could lap it up.

You could join FAF and search on David and Solace and see what they did. I can't link to his success story or key threads as they wouldn't show up if I did.

I am not sure how an appetite stimulant would work with a cat with brain issues. They make cats without them react badly some times (agitation, dilated pupils, meowing, lethargy etc).

9. Anne & Zener GA

Hi Angie, I have not checked Zener for ketones lately, been about a month ago at the vet. I have the strips but have not been successful in catching him when urinating. We use a clumping litter. If he is still punk on Tuesday, I'll probably take him to the vet and they can check him, if I'm not successful this weekend. Thanks!

10. julie & punkin (ga)

are you adding water to his food? with high numbers that can be a little bit of "insurance" to help flush out the bad stuff and prevent ketones.

11. Anne & Zener GA

Yes, we do have a baby scale. He lost almost 1.5 lbs in his first month. He now stays fairly stable between 13 lbs 10 oz and 13 lbs 7 oz. When he drops below that, he was 13 lbs 6 oz yesterday, then we use the appetite stimulant. I was worried initially about FHL, but the last month he has been doing much better, since going on Lantus.

He has an elevated feeding station, but lately has preferred to eat while having his bowl on the floor in front of him. Also, he lays on his side if I am hand feeding to prime his pump!

Oh my, we have tried almost everything I've read about on the list. We transitioned to wet food about a month ago. The one that he likes the best is Blue Buffalo tuna entree. He will also on occasion eat FF whitefish and the chicken. I'm not sure about his sense of smell now, but the CH has not had an effect on that.

No, I have not fed with a syringe. And it does freak me out just a little. I have done hand feeding but today that's not working. The baby food has not worked either today or in the past. I've put fortiflora on his food and no luck. I can try a soupy form of food. I'll research the yahoo site for information.

I didn't know about the lethary reaction, maybe that is why he is acting punk this morning. I just feel a bit desperate when he won't eat and it usually works.

Thanks for all the information!

12. Anne & Zener GA

Yes Julie, I usually put a few small teaspoons of water on his food and have been doing that. The last time we had all his blood values done, about a month ago, all liver and kidney values were normal. He has not had ketones so far but it has been a few weeks since he was checked.

13. Anne & Zener GA

Zener has started to eat, finally. He ate about 1 oz of wet food, his favorite blue buffalo tuna. I know tuna is not the best, but I'm just glad he is eating something. I added quite a bit of water to it, and also fortiflora. Will get a +3 BG to see what's happening. Thanks to you all for your help this morning!

14. julie & punkin (ga)

Re: Zener's AMPS +380 ATrak eating a little

when they're not eating, any food is a good food. i'm glad he ate the fish! you must be a little bit relieved!

hang in there, between all the experience on FDMB, we'll all do our best to help zener get feeling better!

15. Anne & Zener GA

Thanks Julie, and yes, you are so right. I am a little bit relieved. I must admit it has been a long three month roller coaster and just when I feel like we may get back to some sort of "normal" down the rabbit hole we go. I am starting to reach my stressing limit! Thanks to everyone on the FDMB, I couldn't do it without you all!

16. julie & punkin (ga)

oh anne, you are doing everything possible. we can't control everything in their little bodies, and all you can do is the best you can. zener has a lot to deal with, but without you . . . well you are keeping zener alive. you should feel very successful and enjoy being a super mom - which you are!

17. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear that he's starting to eat. Good boy, Zener!!! :) Looking forward to more updates on his progress. :) Hang in there, Anne, you're doing great! *HUGS*

18. Anne & Zener GA

Thank you for your very kind words, I really needed that this morning! Will I ever quite being so anxious about it all?

:YMHUG:

19. Anne & Zener GA

Thank you Angela, it helps so much to "hear" from others going through the same thing. Zener has been feeling just a little punk this morning. But he is eating a little - 1 oz at +1 and again 1 oz at +2. I'm going to get his BG at +3 and will post on his SS and here. Thanks again for your kind words and support! It means a lot :!:

20. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

now that i know he's eating, i feel comfortable sending you a laugh...

[​IMG]

21. julie & punkin (ga)

yes, i think in time you will quit being quite so anxious. i still worry about punkin, but probably only 20% of what i did before. the difference is experience (and i've only been doing this since the end of february) and education. the experience is teaching me how punkin reacts, so i feel like i know my own cat better. i'm not as worried about a crisis because i have a little bit of an ability to predict the near future, based upon how he's reacted in the past. so i don't wake up with my first thought wondering if he is alive anymore.

the education is from reading everything i can find, both here and elsewhere. the people here really understand feline diabetes from years of doing it 24/7. while i'm not hearing a huge experience with the c.h., there are a lot of smart people and a lot of experience with peripheral issues, like the feeding one. so i think you've stumbled upon a source that will really be able to educate you and help you address whatever comes next.

for me, i think the scariest part is from the unknown. the experience and the education help to reduce the unknown to a manageable level.

give it a little time. you really are doing well - and i think it will get easier. :YMHUG:

22. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I know how scary and frustrating and stressful it is when a diabetic kitty won't eat. I also know how frustrating it is when it happens just before you go away. Two years ago, J.D. jumped off my computer desk and hurt his front leg 5 days before we left for our vacation to California. This year my civvie Ginger got sick and wouldn't eat 3 days before our vacation and I told her vet, we have 3 days to get her well or I have to change my vacation. Luckily both kitties were fine within a day or two.

Sending eating vines [​IMG] to Zener.

When I have to get a ketone test, I watch the litter box like a hawk (and even move it sometimes, to where I can see it easily) and use a little plastic cup and just put it under J.D.'s tail when he's in the middle of peeing.

I wish you luck and give you many cyber (((hugs))).

23. julie & punkin (ga)

someone said they put little cups of foil in the litter and enough gets caught they can test the urine.

i made a temporary box with lentils in it, because that's supposed to be ok and not absorb or affect the urine. haven't gotten him to use it yet, but it's all prepped if he gets high. i've also heard aquarium gravel works in the same way.

24. Anne & Zener GA

Thanks for this, humor IS the best medicine!

25. Anne & Zener GA

Thanks Julie. I do feel like I know a little bit more than when I started. I only found the FDMB less than a month ago, and it has been a huge relief. But I do still wonder when I wake up in the morning, or when I come in from being out for a bit, if he is alive. Especially a day like today, when he is acting sorta punk.

I've been reading as much as I can, but sometimes there is so much to read, remember, try... that I get a little overwhelmed and feel like there will always be something worse! I think I'm just getting tired because it's been three months and we still don't seem like regulation is in our future.

I absolutely agree, knowledge it so important. I'm quite sure I'm to the "manageable level" yet, but definitely making progress!

Thanks! I am usually a very patient person, so this is a new experience. Thanks again for all your support! cat_pet_icon

26. Anne & Zener GA

Thanks Dyana, it is frustrating and scary to think about all this when we are going away! Our vet tech - house/pet sitter is coming by tomorrow to go over all instructions. It is a relief to have her here because if something goes badly, she will get him right to the vet! She has stayed here before and he was quite stable while we were away for a week back in May, before Lantus and wet food.

Great idea about the plastic cup. I've been watching him when he goes outside but by the time I get to him it's all over. He uses the litter box, but it usually is between 1-5 am!

27. Anne & Zener GA

Great plans, if I can only catch the little bugger when he goes! I bought one of the smart litter boxes with the beans in it but haven't yet gotten him to use it. So much change all at the same time, I'm trying to focus right now on eating and shots! Thanks again!

28. Anne & Zener GA

Zener has been eating little bits and bobs since +1, probably all together around 3 oz of wet food total. Here is the latest:

07/02/11
    AMPS 380
    +4 329

He let me brush him thoroughly, quite a lot of shedding happening right now. Still seems low energy today.

29. Anne & Zener GA

Re: Zener's AMPS 380; +4 329; +6 325 ATrak

Here's the latest:
    07/02/11
    AMPS 380
    +4 329
    +6 325

Zener seems to be feeling a bit better. Demanded a thorough brushing, he's shedding like crazy right now. And he's been a bit more interested in eating since the first of the morning struggles.

30. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Lots of folks see me as one of the "jokesters" on the forum...
    i freely admit to you here and now that during the FD journey...
    the days that I joked the most around the forum were the days that i was most concerned about my lil guy.

We love them so fiercely, and it is so hard to watch when they are not well...

glad to see that you are much the same!

humor is a great defense...

hoping Zener perks up!

celi

31. Anne & Zener GA

Hi Celi, I do very much appreciate laughter and there is nothing more powerful than humor in trouble times. It can sure lift one's spirits! Zener seems to be feeling better this afternoon, and ate better after our initial poor start. His beans are off to a concert at our local Arboretum. He said to go on ahead without him and he would keep an eye on all the birds out the window, just in case one tries to break in while we are gone. I'll be posting his PMPS and hoping for a hungry kitty later. Thanks so much for lifting our spirits! :YMHUG:

32. julie & punkin (ga)

anne, i just had a :idea: moment. where does zener's name come from? i kept thinking it sounds so familiar, and i just realized my parents had good friends when i was born whose last name was zener. not a family name, is it?

33. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad to hear that Zener decided to eat today. You must be relieved! One day at a time.

34. Anne & Zener GA

No, not a family name. His name for about an hour was Xena, warrior pussy, then he turned out to be a boy and became Zener, named for an engineer, who invented the zener diode. So, it's a scientific discoverer name. He also answers to Mr Handsome and Big Boy.

35. Anne & Zener GA

Oh yes, considerable relief. He started acting like he felt much better in the afternoon. Right now he is outside watching hummingbird moths and dreaming of catching one! :roll: I need to remember that - one day at a time!

36. Anne & Zener GA

Re: Zener's PMPS 330 ATrak

After a reduced dose yesterday evening to 1.25 u and back to 1.5 u this morning and not eating this AM causing mom panic, here is the day's report:
    07/02/11 Alpha Trak
    AMPS 380
    +4 329
    +6 325
    PMPS 330
    PM shot shifted 15 minutes earlier to 8:15 PM (from 8:30 PM) to move towards work schedule of our vet tech pet/house sitter next week. Will need to shift him 15 minutes each day to get there by the time we leave mid-day Wednesday.

I'll get and post his +2 BG before bed, just to make sure we can have a quiet night.

His appetite and his energy improved in the afternoon and I gave us all a little testing break this afternoon. I probably needed it more than Zener.

Right now he is exploring some rearranging we did to stop some of his inappropriate elimination on his catnip scratching pads. He is being very curious and marking the edge of the bookshelf with his cheek. It's if he's never been in this room of the house before! ;-)

37. Anne & Zener GA

On the way down, eating a +3 snack. I'm off to bed. I-)

07/02/11 Alpha Trak
    AMPS 380
    +4 329
    +6 325
    PMPS 330
    +3 298

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.