? Zeniquin and another math question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by apple, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apple

apple Member

1. Does anyone know if zeniquin would raise big levels?

2. I need more math help. ......vet and I are at a stalemate, I inject the kitty, we do it my way (for now.)
    What I need help with is numbers. Which number is the deciding number for dosing?
    For lantus.....I should base my dose on how low he goes during the cycle, NOT how high he is at the beginning and end- am I understanding correctly.

Vet wants to raise the dose by .05u (which I've learned.....no......)

He's dipping lower during the cycle than I expected (he found an very unexpected 141) and I don't want to change until I'm home to keep and eye on him. For some reason, he's decided to drop lower for a few of his numbers and I have no idea why. The only thing that has changed is dose timing of zeniquin.

Vet is basing insulin dose increase on the amps for the three days listed below.

The only thing that has changed is his zeniquin dosing. He was doing 1/2 tab am and 1/2 tab pm and now he gets whole tab pm.

His nadir is like playing a game of whack-a-mole. It's here, now it's over here, WAIT, it's over there......

May 20)
    Amps 378
    Pmps 287

May 21)
    Amps 360
    Pmps 267

May 22)
    Amps 417
    Pmps 269

He is trending higher in the am, and still rolling down to the 100s during a cycle. I don't want to push him while he is alone.

I'm wondering if the higher am could be the zeniquin because everything else is the same, time of shots, test, same food same routine....

Thank you

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Zeniquin, which is an antibiotic, should not effect BG but the underlying reason for giving zeniquin can. An infection can raise BG while an antibiotic can reduce/eliminate an infection which should reduce BG.
    I know of no way to dose in small increments for a U100 insulin like Lantus. With a U40 insulin like Prozinc that might be practical using U100 suyringes since each 1/2 unit marking on a U100 syringe equals 0.2 units of a U40 insulin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.