Zeniquin & BG? Timing of Zeniquin Dose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debbie & Mishka, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debbie & Mishka

Debbie & Mishka Member

OK -- Mishka has told me I've delayed giving him Zeniquin for his upper respiratory infection long enough. He's been "stuffy" and occasional sneezing for the last two weeks and I've crossed my fingers hoping that it will resolve itself. I should have known better. This morning, he has nasal discharge and very stuffy, so I know if I delay, he'll eventually start not eating because of not being able to smell his food. The vet compounded Zeniquin for me and Mishka has been on it before. I asked the vet whether it would effect BG levels and he said "no." But I know last time, Mishka's appetite decreased while taking it. No vomiting, but probably nausea. Anyone have any experience with Zeniquin and the effect it may have on BG levels?

So -- then the question becomes -- when to give the Zeniquin. Preshot? If he gets nauseated he may not eat after shot. After eating? If nauseated, he may vomit up his food........Ughhhhh. :(

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't help with zeniquin. Hope it work for Mishka.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Antibiotics do not affect BG but the underlying condition necessitating the antibiotic can affect BG.
    It is recommended that oral antibiotics be given with food to minimize effects on the GI system. It is not that unusual for oral antibiotics to cause GI upset which an manifest itself as diarrhea, vomiting and decreased appetite. I have found that antibiotics of the quinolone class like Zeniquin and Barytril have less effect on the GI system on other classes of antibiotics like Clavamox.

Debbie & Mishka likes this.
  4. Debbie & Mishka

Debbie & Mishka Member

Thank you! So far, no problems. Except appetite may be a little off. We'll see how the next few days go :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.