Zero Carb dry, Fancy Feast and Humulin dosing?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by bandak, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bandak

bandak New Member

Postby bandak » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:35 pm

My Ziggy was diagnosed as diabetic around the middle of July. He started on 2 units Humulin and gradually went up to 5 units. He consistently, in the beginning, tested over 599 or in the 500's. Ziggy is about 11 yrs old. Always drank alot of water but didn't show signs of stress until this early spring, post urethrostomy surgery due to blockage.

Since then he had a "perfect" curve done at the vet's. I saw the numbers. After that he was up and down...sometimes due to my not getting the shots right with a short needle (we've changed to longer) and I'm sure also due to stress of going to the vet.

I've since learned to home test. I've also embraced the dietary issues which I always did think was behind the diabetes.

He's been eating Young Again Zero Carb dry food since this past Saturday. Today is Tuesday. He also gets Fancy Feast pates and I tried integrating the Friskies he used to eat (on the low carb list) but now it seems to give him diarrhea. All he gets for treats are freeze dried chicken or turkey and YA sent me sample treats which he seems to like.

Anyway...his numbers haven't dropped as dramatically as I was lead to believe they would. He's been in the low 400's, mid-300's, since. Tonight he tested at 363. Today he got 4 Units Humulin N both shots.

My vet had him on 5 units, but that was before the food change. I've been following the facebook support page and testing preshot. The few times he tested low (below 150) I didn't give him insulin but I think that was only a couple of mornings.

I just don't know what to think or what to expect. How can I decide how much insulin he gets? Should he stay at a specific unit/shot each day regardless? I hate taking him to the vet because of the stress and I know that changes his numbers. I'd like to let my vet know how "well" we've been doing on the zero carb dry and Fancy Feast, but right now I'm not feeling so positive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ziggy's acting fine...his coat is back to normal as is his behavior.
    bandak

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Without BG values including some taken every two hours after the shot (as well as before the shot) I really can't make any suggestions

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When you get a low pre-shot test, stall 30 minutes without feeding and re-test.
    If rising and above your current no shot limit (200 for beginners), feed, wait 30 minutes and shoot.

Can we get you started using our grid to record your glucose tests? It will help us give you better feedback. Instructions are here.

Understanding the grid/spreadsheet:

The colored headings at the top are the ranges of glucose values. They are color-coded to clue you in as to meaning.

Each day is 1 row. Each column stores different data for the day.

From left to right, you enter
    the Date in the first column
    the AMPS (morning pre-shot test) in the 2nd column
    the Units given (turquoise column)

Then, there are 11 columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you test at +5 (5 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +5 column
    If you test at +7 (7 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +7 column
    and so on.

Halfway across the page is the column for PMPS (evening pre-shot)
    To the right is another turquoise column for Units given at the evening shot.

There is second set of columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you snag a before bed test at +3, you enter the test number in the +3 column.

We separate day and night numbers like that because many cats go lower at night.

It is merely a grid for storing the info; no math required.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

A spreadsheet would really help us see the numbers and history and give better advice. If you are having trouble getting it set up, send me a private message (PM button in the lower left hand side of this post) and I can set it up for you.

5. bandak

bandak New Member

6. Larry and Kitties

Yesterday's curve was good and you were right to reduce the dose to 3 units.
    You are getting a steep drop and rise which is typical for N but you are getting longer duration and normal with N. Usually N last only about 5 hours or so.

7. bandak

bandak New Member

confused_cat
    Tonight Ziggy tested at 436 preshot! He was 96 at +8 today then all the way up to 436! All he gets is YAZC, FF and freeze dried chicken or turkey as treats when I test him. I don't know what to think. I gave him 3 units again. Hope things start making sense...soon!

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Your spreadsheet link may be put in your Profile signature block so it will automatically post for you and us.

Go to the top left of the screen.
    Click on User Control Panel.
    Click on Profile
    Click on Edit Signature
    A test box displays.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as
    your name, cat's name,
    city and state,
    date of Dx (diagnosis)
    insulin
    meter
    any other pertinent issues like food issues, allergies, IBD, etc.

9. bandak

bandak New Member

Thanks! I had no idea how to do it! :smile:

10. Larry and Kitties

I would pursue getting a better insulin like the Human Lantus or Levemir. I would get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens. Although per ml the pens are more expensive, you can usually use up a 3 ml pen before it goes bad/loses effectiveness. That is not the case for the 10 ml vial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.