Zeus AMPS 84 - food question - Vet said to shoot this low

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by knolet, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

I posted this topic on the Relaxed Lantus board as well, but doesn't look like anyone is awake this early :smile: My question is that the Vet said to shoot in the normal number range as long as I was feeding Zeus, but I don't know how much the food affects the number or how long it keeps the BG high. I wasn't able to get a curve this weekend. I fed him after his test at 84, and then checked about 20 - 30 minutes later and it had risen to 102. I don't know whether it's really safe to shoot or not. I won't be home to keep an eye on him. I can't check on him for about 6 hours. I will be leaving food out frozen before I go to work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Kathie and Zeus

ETA: I'm a chicken - I'm not shooting this morning since I won't be able to monitor Zeus. I'm still wondering about the affect food has though. I know you'll probably say that it depends on the cat and the food, but I didn't know if there were any stats to consider. Thanks again.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Re: Zeus AMPS 84 - food question - Vet said to shoot this lo

Good job not shooting; unless you have tons of data saying it is safe to do that, you don't.

Observe for any signs of not eating, vomiting, or diarrhea which could have caused him to be that low.
    If no other signs, his pancreas may be starting to kick up a bit.

If this low a pre-shot happens again, you may need to drop back 0.25 - 0.5 in order to have a consistently shootable pre-shot.

3. PrettyBlueEyes

PrettyBlueEyes Member

I would have "chickened out" at that preshot number, too!

Kate & Leo

4. Re: Zeus AMPS 84 - food question - Vet said to shoot this lo

In the Relaxed forum, read the sticky "what to do with low pre shot test numbers". Today, not having accumulated lots of data, you probably made the best choice skipping, especially because you couldn't be there to monitor. But eventually, after compiling enough data, you'll probably shoot numbers like this without blinking.
    Carl

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hi, Kathie.

Just a reminder, there's a good deal more traffic on the Lantus TR board, even in the mornings. If you have a question and there's no one around on the Relaxed board, you can always post on TR. There are a number of people who are using the SLGS protocol who post on the TR board. As long as we know that's your preference, we can adapt!

A couple of thoughts...

I'd suggest getting at least one test during the PM cycle. Often cats experience lower numbers at night. Since Lantus dosing is based on nadir, if you don't test at night, you're missing half of your data.

If possible, getting a +11 can often give you information as to whether your pre-shot test is a rising or falling number. Depending on your schedule, this may or may not be an easy test to get.

If you are contemplating stalling, you don't want to feed. Basically, if you have a lower than you're comfortable with pre-shot number, you have three options:
    • skip the shot -- this has the biggest impact on the insulin depot
    • stall - if stalling, don't feed. If you feed, when you re-test, your test may reflect a food spike. Generally, if you're stalling, re-test in 20 - 30 min.
    • shoot a reduced dose

You want to try to avoid both stalling and shooting a reduced dose. With Lantus, a late shot acts like a dose reduction. Thus, if you shoot a reduced dose and stall, it's like a double reduction.

Libby's post on dealing with low pre-shots provides the pros and cons of each of these options.

6. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the replies, I very much appreciate it :!:

I just increased his dosage by .25 because the lower dose didn't seem to be enough. I had held that dose for a week, although perhaps I should have held it longer since I had a couple of no shots in that time? It's only been 3 & 1/2 days on the higher dose.

I'm not sure about that not blinking part, but I hope that you're right and I know what to do :smile:

Thanks for the info on stalling Sienne and Gabby :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.