? Zobaline And leg Neuropathy question-‘

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mimis mom, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

I tried looking through some of the threads to see if I could find the answer but there wasn’t luck.

How long does it take to see the effects of Zobaline?
    Mimi’s been on it for almost a month now I believe and it breaks my heart watching it loose balance if she walks longer than 5 steps before having to sit and take a break..
    I also notice some poop getting stuck to her bum- does the hind leg issue that happens in their gait also effect feeling in the body? Like, is she becoming paralyzed slowly and losing strength everywhere below the belt?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It can take months....nerves are the slowest type of tissue to regenerate.

No, neuropathy isn't the same thing as being paralyzed. She may just not have the muscle tone to eliminate the poop as well as she used to.

Mimis mom and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

It took about 2-3 months for me to see an improvement, its not totally gone but has improved immensely. He can now jump onto the couch and kitchen chairs and run up a flight of stairs
    If you want to save some money

For the neuropathy
    If anyone wants to save money I used to but Zobaline until someone on here told me about this brand, it's the same thing

Hi this can save you some money on the Zobaline
    [​IMG]
    For 60 pills it's 11.79 right now and for 100 pills its 17.99 with free shipping. Always check their site for special offers
    Same thing
    The only difference with the Zobaline is it has 200 mcg of folic acid
    So I just buy folic acid in the store 400 mcg and cut them in half and crush it
    The Vit B from Vitacost comes in capsule form it's red , so just empty it into the wet food and the folic acid , mix it up. The Zobaline is a pill so you have to crush it up
    The Vitacost brand is 5000 mcg and the Zobaline is 3000 mcg that is ok
    The cats will pee out what's not needed .

A lot of times the Vitacost brand has buy one get one half off and free shipping in the qty of 100 .

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

You are getting the BG (blood glucose) levels better controlled also. That is the best way to get neuropathy better, and you have been working hard to do that for Mimi. Good job!

No scientific studies to show methyl-B12 works or not in cats. All the evidence is anecdotal. Since so many cats get their BG levels regulated in the first 6 months, how do we know which treatment made the real difference? Still used it for my diabetic cat, since any excess would be excreted in the urine. I didn't care if there was no scientific based evidence. I wanted to try it if it would possibly help. Won't hurt. "Faster resolution" Relatively safe to use" How fast could I get some was my question to the shelter vet.

Your Mimi has been through so much, with first Vetsulin, then DKA and hospitalized, switch to Lantus insulin, pet meter/human meter used. Food switch. You've been a good momma to Mimi, doing what you can for her.

Give it time. I know it's so hard to see your cat struggling to walk. Ask your vet if gabapentin would be right for Mimi. Neuropathy or any type of nerve damage is painful. The gabapentin could make her more comfortable but sleepy.

Even this one article from University of Wisconsin Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital says it can take 6-12 months to resolve. My diabetic cat's neuropathy did resolve. Completely and his case was severe.

"Regulation alone is the treatment of choice to reverse neuropathy in cats. However, some anecdotal evidence suggests that a specific form of vitamin B12, methylcobalamin, may help these patients recover more quickly. Methylcobalamin is thought to promote nerve regrowth and can be absorbed in the spinal fluid."

"Diabetic neuropathy
    The most common complication in cats that are chronically hyperglycemic is diabetic neuropathy—about 10 percent of cats are affected. The progression to this condition may take several months, and, if properly treated, it can resolve within six to 12 months. The femoral nerve is most commonly affected.

An affected femoral nerve can lead to a plantigrade gait, which is walking on the whole sole of the foot (e.g., like rabbits, bears, and people). In cats, this gait takes the shape of walking on hocks (heels), and the tarsal joints and nerves of the hind legs are progressively damaged, leading to pain, numbness, and weakness or paralysis. The first sign of neuropathy in cats is often weak hind legs. As the condition progresses, the cat won't be able to stand on its toes. Jumping will become increasingly difficult until it's impossible. Eventually, the cat's legs will seem to slip out from under it, and the cat will be unable to walk. These are signs of motor and sensory nerve damage.

Fortunately, in the early stages, this damage is reversible by regulating blood glucose concentrations. Regulation alone is the treatment of choice to reverse neuropathy in cats. However, some anecdotal evidence suggests that a specific form of vitamin B12, methylcobalamin, may help these patients recover more quickly. Methylcobalamin is thought to promote nerve regrowth and can be absorbed in the spinal fluid. It is not the same as the injectable B12 given to cats that have a true deficiency due to gastrointestinal disease, and it is typically referred to as methyl-B12. A veterinarian should be consulted before using this product.

Again, the primary treatment is regulating blood glucose concentrations. There is no research to support the use of methylcobalamin for treating peripheral neuritis in cats, but it may result in faster resolution and is relatively safe to use. The neuropathy generally resolves once good glycemic control is achieved"

From this website.

My diabetic cat had exactly the same neuropathy symptoms you describe for Mimi. Take heart, it can get better.

5. Mimis mom

Oh! Ok thank you! Good to know!! It breaks my heart when I see her back legs start to slide a little, lose balance and have to sit.. :(

6. Mimis mom

I’m nervous it won’t work- I know that’s silly but I don’t want to mess anything up. The lifelink one said it’s not formulated with any fructose and is made specifically for cats but I know that’s probably just marketing..

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  7. Mimis mom

Awww I hope she doesn’t eventually loose function :(
    Her BG is seeing some greens but then it looks as though it decides to bounce right after that. Stop panicking little pancreas!

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

The vitacost is fine to use it has no fructose, many members here use it. It has never raised the BG. Here is a coupon code when you go on the Vita cost site. Just choose if you want to buy 60 capsules or 100 capsules. Like I said above make sure you buy
    The only difference with the Zobaline is it has 200 mcg of folic acid
    So I just buy folic acid in the store 400 mcg and cut them in half and crush it up

12% OFF YOUR ORDER | USE CODE SITEWIDE2020

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  9. Tina Marie and Jan

Tina Marie and Jan Well-Known Member

Rosa - I wish I had seen your neuropathy concerns earlier.
    Tina was in poor condition when finally diagnosed, and I learned of Zobaline on here, and started right away. Of course good BG control is the true helper, but I'm sticking with the Zobaline also.
    My sweet girl is 90% better than she was in July!!! She WAS dragging her back end:( Now there are lots of times she walks completely normal, and she jumps around again too! I had pet steps all over the house, and now she jumps around them sometimes!

She also takes 50 mg gabapentin twice a day.
    I hope Mimi improves like Tina did!!

10. Deb & Wink

Thank you so much @Tina Marie and Jan for sharing another success story with feline diabetic neuropathy. And letting other people know that gabapentin helps too with nerve pain.

Tina Marie and Jan likes this.
  11. Tina Marie and Jan

Tina Marie and Jan Well-Known Member

Deb, I wish I had found such an educated and thorough post like you made above, a few months ago. I eventually learned most of it, but not nearly as easily as I could have;)

And @Diane Tyler's Mom - excellent info above for saving money, without giving up the folic acid!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  12. Deb & Wink

Simply trying to pass along information I have learned that helped my cat and my reasoning on why I decided to use the methyl B12 for my cat. Paying it forward, because other people helped me in the beginning too.

I wish I had known about using gabapentin and thought to ask the vet for some to use for Wink. I should have remembered that could help, since my MIL was diabetic.

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Tina Marie and Jan thank you Jan, Tina is such a beautiful kitty and congratulations to Tina being in remission

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Tina Marie and Jan likes this.