Zoey March 26th

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Emily and Baby, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emily and Baby

Emily and Baby Member

Good afternoon all :)

I'm a bit worried about Zoey's numbers today... I tested him a bit ago and he was at 358 BEFORE eating anything and hadn't eaten since 7:45 this morning... I am not off work to be home with him to start insulin until Friday, but should I be thinking about starting him sooner and taking a day off? Should I test his BG again now that he ate and see where he is? I will test his ketones if I am able to in the next 10 minutes before I have to go back to work...

How dangerous is it for him to stay at that high pre-fed level for the next two and a half days until I can start insulin?

EDIT: I was able to test his GB before I came back to work, about 20-25 minutes after he ate (might have been overkill, poor guy :( ) and he was at 360 so not much of an increase. He's acting a bit different, kind of being a suck and seems depressed... maybe he's still stressed from the vet trip yesterday... Still not sure if I should take tomorrow off and start him on some insulin...

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

When I started many years ago I left for work after the first shot. If he is acting, eating and everything else normal and no keytones you can wait if you want.

3. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Compromise....wait until tonight and see what his bg is. Have you got a handle on how to handle a Lantus pen, drawing up the insulin and figured out how low you will be starting him? Lantus people can help you along with all the stickies posted at the top in the Lantus forum. FWIW, Vinny(GA) was started on Glip at a shelter and when I got him his liver values were way high and he needed meds to get them down. Please don't use Glip.

4. Emily and Baby

Emily and Baby Member

I will be doing a ton of research tonight to get a handle on everything... I'm nervous about giving him an injection... I will test him again when I get home around 5. Should I test before or after he eats this time?
    Based on everything people have said about the oral medication, I am not going to fill the prescription. I'm going to go with LantusI'm going to Costco tonight to get the syringes and the insulin so I'll have it ready once I am well educated on what to do and am able to monitor everything...

5. Denise & Honey

Denise & Honey Well-Known Member

Great choice on NOT getting glip :thumbup

Test before he eats and post the number.
    You need to find a time that works for you - as lantus likes consistancy - so a 12/12 hour schedule.
    I use to do 6am/6pm - that way I could get a test or 2 in before bed.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

You test before feeding

7. Denise & Honey

Denise & Honey Well-Known Member

The test should be at least 2 hours (ideally more) before he eats otherwise the numbers can be affected by the food and then you have an artificially high reading.

8. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Always test before feeding....food moves numbers up. Now, if you do spot checks during the day those numbers may include food but it gives you an overall picture of how Zoey is doing on his dose. AM and PM tests are always done before feeding.

9. Emily and Baby

Emily and Baby Member

Thanks for the advice :) I don't have the insulin to start yet but I will test him when I get home from work, just to see what his numbers are at. Then I'll need to decide if I can wait to start insulin until Friday (when I'll be home with him) or if I should be starting it tomorrow... I might need advice later, based on his BG at 5ish, on whether or not it is safe to wait to start Friday. Poor guy :( I just want him to feel better!

10. KJ & Alfred

KJ & Alfred Member

Emily,
    You've received such good information here and are in good hands. Just wanted to wish you and Zoey well. Take care of yourself and try not to worry too much. :smile:

11. Mary & Simba

Mary & Simba Member

When my cat is having high numbers like that (even happens while on insulin so don't panic) he tends to favor cool spots, by windows, doors, tile floors, so I just make sure he has a cool spot to stretch out, drinks some water, and I liquify his food so he doesn't have to put in a lot of effort to eat. It's not like a fever temperature, but he may just be feeling uncomfortable. So just try to make your kitty as comfy as possible. Once you start on insulin he'll be feeling much better in no time. :mrgreen:

My cat spent the first month in the 400-700 BG range, so to me starting at 300's doesn't look bad. I think Zoey is going to do great!

12. Emily and Baby

Emily and Baby Member

Thanks for all the support everyone :)

I just got back from Costco, its a bit of a drive! I tested Zoey again before I left at 5 before he ate and he was at 346 and just now, 5 hours later, and he was 333 before he ate....

Should I be starting insulin sooner than later??

13. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry I have been out all day at the office and dealing with a sick rabbit... Great News you got the insulin, remember to keep it in the fridge, not the door to get the best use out of it..

Can I suggest you go over to the tight regulation forum and ask about dosing and whether to start tomorrow, or wait till the weekend? I am hoping you can post over there regularly anyway since they have some seriously experienced lantus users over there that can advise you.

Here's the link http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=9

Start your topic with subject with " new to forum" or "newbie here" or something and put a ? In your subject like "? Starting dose etc" so they can welcome you and let you know how to use that board and answer your questions.

Wendy

Edited to add.. At least the pack of pens will last you up to six months so you won't need to drive that far often!

14. Emily and Baby

Emily and Baby Member

Thanks Wendy! I will do that right now and see what they advise :) I tested his ketones and he only has a trace amount, but he is acting strangely, so I worry.

Is your rabbit ok? I hope so! I know from my sisters experiences that it can be scary when they are sick as their health can be very fragile :(

15. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Give him some water. I am asking some experienced dosing people across here now. Given that he is showing trace ketones they might start you off tonite. They will advise dose too. Go grab yourself a coffee and check back soon.

Wendy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.