Zoot! Day 5 - no AMPS (sigh)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cinnie Cole, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Once again, all our fumbling trying to get blood doesn't pay off. Poor Zoot! Will get a different gauge needle for this used the 30 this time (we had had luck before) but now it is just like constant pin pricks and no blood. when we used the 26 it didn't have any effect, but I am at a loss how to get blood consistently like other people seem to be able to do. Very disheartening.

Also have to rethink the location and process, it seems to cause him anxiety. The warm sock of rice in the ear doesn't seem to do anything and he gets impatient with us holding it against him. He just wants his food.

I used keto diastix on his urine and got "almost" a clean negative for ketones so that is better than the trace we were getting; but UG was second highest. His numbers from the glucometer look better than that consistently, so I maybe don't understand how different urine glucose analysis and blood glucose differ.

Probably will not get another BG reading till PMPS today.

2. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Poor Zoot! I've already had plenty of frustrating mornings like that (especially when he's hungry and doesn't want to sit still), and I've only been testing him for a few weeks. I'm using a 30-gauge lancet, too, though I've had better success with the pen than doing it freehand, plus the dab of Neosporin on his ear has been making a big difference for making the most of a tiny drop.

3. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Okay! Will definitely add the neosporin - we find that the tiny amount of blood will disperse in his hair and that has been frustrating. How much do you use - do you just rub a little in at the spot?

4. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Cinnie-Ive learned a tiny amount/THIN layer so the blood drop sits nicely on top of it to grab with strip, otherwise you will run into what I did...too much Neosporin & then that interferes with the strip getting the blood vs the Neosporin

5. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

I was having that same problem with Mr. Perry when I started, and the Neosporin does helps the drop form above the fur. I rub a thin smear over the whole sweet spot so it's all covered, since it's so hard to aim with a hungry, fidgety kitty. When I have the drop, I fold a cotton round over his ear to stop the bleeding (and apparently this helps with bruising as well), and pulling it away usually gets any excess Neosporin, too...though I always hope I'm leaving just enough on to help his hear heal back up for next time. Good luck!

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

A couple of thoughts...

If you're not getting a good drop of blood, try massaging the spot a bit. The friction will warm the ear and act to "pump" some blood into the spot. If necessary, prick twice (or more) in as close to the same spot as you can. That may help you to get enough blood.

Some cats will tolerate a paw prick. That location is an option.

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  7. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Ditto!! I have found that removing some of the Neosporin when we are done makes my boy happier! He didn't like too much of it on his ear & ended up having to spend time trying to clean it off himself, so I figured if he's going to remove it I will at least help him out & do it for him!

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  8. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Thanks ALL!

9. Robert Vittetoe

Robert Vittetoe Member

I’m very new too. Our first successful blood test was Sunday evening. I went through the process of not getting any blood after trying a few different ear locations. I’ve found one spot that has worked and I keep using it. I know I need to rotate but the important part for us right now is a blood test of any kind. I’m using the outside upper edge of his left ear, free handing a 26g lancet from ReliOn. I’m also trying to rub on a little equate antibiotic + pain relief before and after. I’m also trying to do two quick pokes with the lancet. My technique is horrible. Most times I go completely through the ear. (Which was killing me the first few days) It is getting better and better.

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  10. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Ive also discovered how little blood you really need to get the read! I thought I needed a decent pooled droplet of blood, but discovered even a tiny droplet of blood just formed from the site is enough for the meter to read. If I can get a picture & post it or if anyone has one already & can post it that would be helpful. I look back & probably poked my guy unnecessarily thinking it wasn't enough.

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  11. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

I would love to see a picture Thanks

12. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Okay! PMPS is 258 so far so good. Sure would like to see him in the blue.

Perry & Jenn likes this.
  13. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

To prevent this, put a little vaseline before poking; this will help to bead up the blood drop. After, always use Neosporin AB with pain relief, this will help Zoot's little ears ! Hope you'll be OK!
    Don't worry, it's not easy at the beginning; testing is the worst part! Once you'll get used to it, all the rest will go smoothly!

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  14. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Success with testing, yay!

Robert Vittetoe likes this.
  15. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

So I want to thank all of you who suggested using the Neosporin. It was infinitely easier to get blood both last night and today.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Perry & Jenn and Robert Vittetoe like this.
  16. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Thats GREAT news :)!! I had one of those tiny blood spots this morning, but against his jet black fur, it was difficult to see in the pic. Will keep trying with my hubby to get a better pic of it. But if you can see a tiny amount try to use your strip. I go under it with the strip it like I'm using a spatula to flip an egg/or pancake!

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  17. Robert Vittetoe

Robert Vittetoe Member

Good for you and Zoot! Glad to hear things are getting a little better. Prior to diabetes I would say one day at a time quite often. Now it’s one test at a time. Hang in the. You are doing great and I feel your love for Zoot.

Cinnie Cole likes this.