Zoot!'s food transition is a bust - how do I deal with diarrhea?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cinnie Cole, Dec 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Zoot! was getting DM wet, with small portions of Weruva Chicken Frick A Zee every day for the last 4 months.

I thought his transition would be easy, and moved him off the DM over 4 days (using up all the DM we had left). He is entirely on the Weruva now, but he has developed diarrhea, very loose and light in color. I am pretty certain this is from the failed transition because we saw our vet before I transitioned him, and he had a clean bill of health at that time.

What could I do to help him get back into normal poop territory? I do put a little forti-flora on his food already (just a sprinkle, not any significant amount).

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Some cats are more sensitive to food changes than others. If I don’t take at least 7 days to transition mine she gets a very upset stomach and diarrhea.

Fortiflora helped my kitty with diarrhea, but I was giving her a full packet a day. Plain canned pumpkin can help as well, and I believe there are quite a few people who use S. boulardii too

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  3. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

I have Fortiflora here but normally only sprinkle a little on - I may try upping the amount to a half packet 2 times a day.

I am a little concerned about pumpkin because it has lots of carbs, maybe in small amounts it would be okay. I will look up S.boulardii.

Thanks!

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Has he had chicken before? Is it possibly a food allergy? Chicken, beef and fish are common cat allergens. Maybe try another protein.

5. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Oh yes he has had weruva before his diabetes with no issues. And since his diagnosis, he has always eaten their leftovers. Only after the switch did it start. But maybe we will try tuna (we have that here as well) for a few days of the fortiflora doesn't show any result. Thanks!

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Forti Flora is not the best when it comes to probiotics. For diarrhea, track down S. boulardii. It's available on Amazon. I use the Renew brand. I'm linking what I think is a good post on managing diarrhea in cats.

7. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

I will look for it - I am only using FortiFlora because we have it in the house.

8. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

Mimi had looser smelly stools her entire life until I switched her to a raw formula. I just figured it was normal for her. I’ve fed her the best canned I could find but didn’t notice her stools becoming normal (looking like a peanut shell in shape and color) now they do and do not smell any more! (Well maybe a tiny bit after she just goes.. lol)
    I love Vital Essentials frozen raw formula.

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  9. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Canned pumpkin is fine for diabetic kitties in small amounts. I think no more than one tablespoon twice a day if I remember right. It can actually helped their numbers if they're constipated, not sure about diarrhea though.

10. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Unfortunately, with 7 cats here, being able to feed Raw food would be way expensive. Even if we just had Zoot! on it, we have huge bills already - because we both work we have not ventured into the territory of preparing our own food for them. We do isolate him when eating, but I am skeptical that we could make it work. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.