Zymox Otic (hydrocortisone free) ear drops

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TheBowHuntress, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

FYI FDMB members:

I am using the Zymox Otic (hyrdocortisone free) enzymatic ear drops for Gobbles' yeast infection in his ears, in lieu of ear medication containing steroids. I sent an email to Zymox on 5/24 regarding the appropriateness of using these drops in a diabetic cat's ears as they contain dextrose. Here's a copy & paste of their response:

I'm responding to your email with using Zymox Otic in the ears of your diabetic cat. Dextrose is listed in the ingredients, but it is at a very small dose and you will be putting into the ears and your cat will not be ingesting it, so it is fine to use. Remember not to clean the ears before applying the Zymox to them.

Please contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Pet King Brands, Inc.
    710 Vandustrial Dr.
    Westmont, IL 60559

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Is that and OTC drug that can be ordered without a prescription? Two of my civiess are plagued by reoccurring bacterial infections. The tresaderm doesn't seem to cut it.

3. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

Yes Deb; It is OTC and no rx needed. I ordered it online; I googled it first and found it cheapest on eBay (only $13.99 and free shipping!!!) from a reliable seller, who has more in stock: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zymox-Otic-...cortisone-1-25oz-Free-Shipping-/171042893370?

I received it in just 2 days. If you do get some, you cannot clear the ear/ears out the entire time it is being given for (I have to literally restrain myself from cleaning his ears--think karo syrup poured in the ear, every day, for a week)!!!

The dose is for 7 days, or 14 days for chronic infections.

Last time he had the yeast infection (black gunk!), he was prescribed Mometomax ear drops, which have a steroid in them. And as I know you are aware, steroids not only raise BG, but they can be a contributing factor to FD.

OT: Loved today's pic on Gobby's condo: was the cat trying to get in, or out???

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Cat trying to get to the falls of course! ;-)

Thanks for the info. I have bookmarked it for later ordering.

5. Kathryn Cavanaugh-Dias

Kathryn Cavanaugh-Dias Member

Did you ever get a response?

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Googling shows nothing in Zymox Otic (hyrdocortisone free) enzymatic ear drops that is effective against yeast, which is a fungus. Zymox Otic (hyrdocortisone free) enzymatic ear drops does contains ingredients effective against bacteria.
    For yeast I have used TrizULTRA+Keto which I obtained from my vet. I have also used Confite

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.