Zyrtec For Cats?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ToddyTiger, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

I haven't posted here in a looong time. Not since Toddy passed away.

I thought this might be a good place to ask this question. I have a 6 year old kitty (Olivia) She's pretty healthy overall, though for a few years she has had days where she is sneezy and has a runny nose all day long. The vet assumed herpes, but she is not having all the symptoms, and the supplements don't really do anything.

Anyway, she went in for her check up today and we discussed the runny nose. The vet now thinks maybe allergies. Her suggestion was 5mg of Cetirizine (Zyrtec). We were both unsure of a few things and her medical books were not helpful in answering the following questions...

1) can we just use human Zyrtec (the plain one. No D) ?

2) They don't make a 5mg tablet. can I cut a 10mg tablet in half?

3) Do I use 12 hour or 24 hour. (not sure they still make 12 hour even)

4) If I use 24 hour, is it time release? Will cutting it in half decrease the effectiveness of the medication or cause any issues?

5) Any side effects I should be worried about?

I've tried doing some online research, but I'm getting mostly stuff about humans taking Zyrtec for cat allergies OR stuff saying Zyrtec might be bad. Very little helpful info.

Thank you!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Nancy and Scotty

Nancy and Scotty Member

I'm knew and don't know much about diabetes in cats but I do know about allergies, I have terrible ones and I have a cat who also is allergic to everything, she is 8 years old and has had terrible allergies the whole time I have had her, I cannot give her steroids so I have tried several antihistamines and Zyrtec is the only one that helps, you need to give your cat half of a 12 hour tablet twice a day. I have been giving her Zyrtec for about 3 years now.

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

If zyrtec doesn't work try cyproheptadine although that requires a prescription.

5. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

Thank you all for the info!

I can't find any 12 hours at the store (except in Zyrtec D form) Would a 24 hour work, but cut in half and given twice a day? I even checked online and can't find the 12 hour pill. I thought they made one.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I have to leave but I will check with people I know on line that use it and get back to you tonight.

7. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

Thank you! Any info would be great!

the vet called with blood work update, so I made sure to tell her they don't seem to make the 12 hour anymore. I'm going to talk with my pharmacy (they won't know anything about cats taking it, I am sure) but the vet wanted me to find out if the plain 24 hour was time release or not. I have some (for myself) and it doesn't say on the bottle. That makes me think its not, but a pharmacy should know.

And incase anyone is curious, her blood work was great! She has a mass on her tail, so this was pre-surgery blood work. Fingers crossed that the mass is just a fatty cyst. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.