Zyrtec for cats

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FurBabiesMama, Mar 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. Has anyone given their cat Zyrtec for allergies?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I gave it to Teasel's sister when she was much younger and was having large itchy patches on her face from a (probable) food allergy. It didn't really help for that but she tolerated it OK.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It's used quite a bit here......one of the possible side effects is appetite stimulation but it's safe to use in a diabetic.

Chlortrimeton is another safe antihistamine

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

5. FurBabiesMama

Appetite stimulation would be a good thing in this case. I am considering it for Willow, and she could benefit from eating more!

I used Chlortrimeton in the distant past. I am interested in trying Zyrtec because I read that, being a 2nd generation antihistamine, there is less crossing of the blood-brain barrier which results in less drowsiness.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

True about less drowsiness. It didn’t seem to have that effect on Teasel’s sister and I use it myself and have no problem with drowsiness. The older generation of antihistamines put me in a zombie state!

7. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I agree drowsiness isn’t something I’d want, but Zyrtec did nothing for my civies allergies so I thought I’d try something else and keep steroids as a last resort!

8. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

Paddy, my non-diabetic cat, has pollen allergies and I give him zyrtec for that during his allergy season. Half a tablet, once per day. It seems to help him.

Sharon14 likes this.
  9. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I give 5mg Zyrtec to Chuck occasionally for his itchy ears. It does seem to help. I haven't noticed any side effects.

10. FurBabiesMama

Thanks, everyone. I gave Willow 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet yesterday afternoon. She weighs between 5 and 6 lbs, and I read that dosing should be 1/2 mg per lb (or 1 mg per kilo). Now, to monitor and see what, if any, impact it has.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  11. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.