Lucy, July 1990 to August 15, 2011

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Terri and Lucy, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

She was my best friend, my constant companion, my baby, my teacher, my nurse. We lived, loved, and fought together for 20 years and 7 months. She made me laugh, she healed my heart when it was broken, she nursed me when I was sick. Fly free my beautiful, beautiful, feisty girl. You will be in my heart forever.

I don't know many people here on FDMB anymore but I wanted to thank everyone who helped me keep my beautiful, special girl healthy for 7 years as a diabetic. In the end, her kidneys gave out, and she made it very clear that she didn't want to be here any longer. Two years ago, when I was diagnosed with cancer, her vet and I thought she would be leaving at anytime. But she rallied and took care of me for those many months when I was a bit of a zombie; she gave me her strength and her healing purrs and kept me from wallowing in self pity. I could not have come through the experience as well as I did without her. In one sense, her decision to leave seems like her vote of confidence that I am well enough to take care of myself again. So it was my turn to make the hard decision to sacrifice my wishes to give her what she needed. She left the world the way she lived in it--on her own terms but with a little bit of help.

Walking in the door and not hollering out "I'm home honey" is going to take me a while to adjust to. Leaving and not telling her when I will be returning is second nature and a habit I wish I didn't have to break. The house is just more empty than I can possibly describe. She filled up my home and my heart with her indomitable spirit. People say they have a broken heart all the time, but this time, it really physically feels broken.

2. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Oh, Terri, I'm so very sorry she has had to leave you. I'm very touched how you describe her vote of confidence that you are well. ((((((Terri))))))

Bless you for taking care such good care of her for so long, which it sounds like she repaid you 20-fold.

What a marvelous life she led! And what a marvelous tribute you gave her. Many tears for you tonight. If it helps at all, please keep in touch. PM me if you'd like to trade emails occasionally. I have not been through what you are going through in letting Lucy go on to the Bridge, but I know the time I have to say goodbye to my best friend is coming sooner than I would ever want too.

Be strong. Lucy's spirit will hold you. wings_cat

3. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Terri, I am so sorry. Fly free dear Lucy rb_icon

What a wonderful story of the last years of her life since her diagnosis with FD. She lived a long, long life for a kitty - and no doubt so she could take care of you and repay you for the years of care you gave her. Those cats that are with us before, during and after a personal crisis have such a special place in our hearts.

She was a special, sweet girl and I know you will miss her terribly. Try to remember all the good times and imagine the adventure she is embarking on now.

(((hugs)))

4. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry Terri. My heart sank when I saw this post. There are a lot of our old-timer kitties that are reaching that age when we have to let them finally go. Lucy was such a real trooper throughout her illnesses and CRF, and I know that going out to your garden was one of her special delights throughout her later years.

I am so sorry you had to make this very hard decision to let her go. But of course she understands and loves you for it.

Fly free Lucy. You are with all the other special kitty angels that have gone before you and are at peace now. Hugs to you Terri. I can't imagine how hard this must be for you.

5. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

Terri, I am so sorry for your loss. I don't know how I happened to check your posts this morning, it's something I never do. I think I must have gotten some kind of vibes. I think you two were very lucky to have had each other. Many people go through life and never have that kind of love.
    Even tho it was clear she needed to leave, I know how hard it is to make that decision and to let go. I still expect Squamee to come to the door when I come home, and it's not unusual for me to think I see her out of the corner of my eye. The house still feels intensely empty.
    I hope you will cherish her wish for you, and stay strong and healthy.
    All my best,
    Judy

6. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Terri)))) I'm so sorry for your loss. You gave her the greatest gift anyone can give a beloved friend, you took her pain and suffering and made it your own.

Fly free Lucy.

7. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

I am very sorry for your loss. Fly free Lucy!

8. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

FYI, everyone. Terri was one of 2 members, Cheri & Patriot being the other, who opened my eyes to the possibilities of split dosing. We owe her a lot!

Thank you, Terri!

drinking24

9. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

I am very sorry for your loss. Fly free Lucy and land ever so gently.
    (((TerrI)))

10. Janet & Binky (GA)

Janet & Binky (GA) Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

(((Terri)))

I am very sorry for your loss. Lucy was a very special being, and I wish your journey together could have lasted longer.

Hugs,

Janet

11. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

I'm very sorry about Lucy, Terri. It's never easy but so heart-breaking when our elder babies leave because even though we know they cannot stay forever there is never enough time. :(

12. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Terri - because we're traveling I'm not on here as much as usual and am just seeing your post. I'm so sorry to see that another of our long-time kitties has joined the other special ones at The Bridge - but leaving a hole in the lives and hearts (and this board) here.

They are never with us long enough - but the time spent with them is so special. They are each so special - and so loved.

I'm so sorry that you have had to say goodbye to your girl.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

13. melinda and talbot

melinda and talbot Member

((((Terri)))) I'm so very sorry to see that you have lost your Lucy. They fill us our hearts and homes and leave such an empty spot when they leave us.

I've thought of you and Lucy often but like you, I'm not on the board much either and I just saw this. You were always ready to help me. I know how devoted you were to Lucy and what a great bean you were to her. Such devastating news.

14. Carol & Yoshi

Carol & Yoshi Well-Known Member

Dear Terri,

I'm deeply sorry your sweet Lucy has gone ahead. You and Lucy were here when Yoshi and I arrived in 2005 so we go back a few years. To have Lucy as a companion for over 20 years is a very special thing and through such difficult health times for you speaks volumes about the deep bond you two shared. I'm sorry for your broken heart and happy it was Lucy who chose to share her life with you.

Hugs,
    Carol & Yoshi

15. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Terri, I'm so sorry to hear about Lucy. We never seem to have enough time with our beloved kitties.
    The two of you were lucky to have each other.

wings_cat Fly free sweet Lucy...

16. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Thank you all for the kind thoughts. I haven't been able to come back here until tonight. There's a lot I haven't been able to do these past 2 weeks. Kiss your kitties and hold them tight.

17. Marci and Buddy

Marci and Buddy Member

Very sorry for your loss...my thoughts and prayers are with you.
    She was lucky to have you and all your love for so many years..

18. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Oh I am so very sorry to hear this, Terri. (((((((hugs)))))) You took care of each other. I do know how it feels, as do so many of us. It sucks. (((((((((Terri))))))))

19. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

(((Terri)))
    had to post, tho not on fdmb these days.

it's never long enough.
    so sad that most of the PZI kitties we knew are now gone. tho many of us switched insulin we all feel like family to me.
    devastated about your beautiful lucy.
    i hope another cat or dog owns your heart again soon.

20. Iorwen & Tray

Iorwen & Tray Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for you loss.
    Fly free Lucy

21. JaniceandSpike

JaniceandSpike Well-Known Member

You know Im very sorry about your best friend Lucy. I know she was the world to you. I agree with Chris, I also hope another pet steals your heart. You also have so much love to give. (((Terri)))

22. Sandy and Boris

Sandy and Boris Member

I'm so sorry Terri. I'm glad she was there for you when you needed her so much. You two were a team, she was returning all the love you gave her. You'll always feel that love with you everyday inside your heart. Take care, Lucy would want you to be well.
    Fly free sweet girl.
    wings_cat

23. Carol-Charlie

Carol-Charlie Well-Known Member

OMG No.... I'm so very sorry for your loss... Lucy is one of our longtime, loves... now gone ahead to play with my Charlie, so many old timers... and so many way before their time.

I know the pain of that decision... but all know the love deep inside that leads us to make it... I'm sorry I'm just seeing this today as I was directed from Community.....

I too remember Charlie and Spunky purring me to sleep... day and night after surgery and chemo... they helped me heal and loved me as Lucy loves you.

Until one day in the far off future, when we each walk over The Ridge.... to them.

The Ridge
    © 2004 By Carol Notermann

It’s been such a lovely summer, I’ve been napping in the sun.
    This morning, other cats and I enjoyed a long long run.
    We chased butterflies together. I climbed high into a tree.
    And now I think what woke me up was that small bumble bee.

I’ve yawned and stretched, and still I feel that something has begun.
    He’s standing there in robes of white, and telling me to come.
    I always run to Him you know, when He comes across the bridge
    To see if we’re all having fun and if we’ve checked the ridge.

He gives tummy rubs to all of us and pets and cuddles too
    I’m glad to see Him every day, when He comes into view.
    Each day He takes a different cat, and chats with them a while
    Then off that kitty starts to run. I swear they seem to smile.

But now He’s stopped in front of me. He’s said a name I know.
    He said to look out towards the ridge. The sun is setting low.
    I start to walk out toward the ridge, and then what’s that I see.
    IT’S YOU! IT’S YOU! It’s really you. You’ve come to be with me!

My goodness you are running and I am running too!
    You stop to bend, but I can jump and now I am with you.
    I feel your kisses on my head, as I did in long off days
    You’re holding me and hugging me, and into your eyes I gaze.

And now He’s walking with us, as you carry me once more
    We’ve crossed Rainbow Bridge together. We’re here at Heaven’s door.
    And He has held it open, and told us to walk through
    That from now on and forever, I can always be with you

24. KSAkitties

KSAkitties Member

Terri,

I am so sorry for your loss. What a lovely tribute for your best friend Lucy.

You gave her the final gift of love by letting her go.

Ping

25. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

That's a beautiful poem Carol. Thank you for sharing it.

Terri

26. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Terri I am so sorry. I just saw Lucy's name on the DCIN blog, I had not realized she was gone. You helped me so so much when we arrived on the board, I am so grateful for that, and sorry you have lost Lucy. I lost a civie on August 11th - it is so tough to lose them, life just isn't the same.

(((((hugs)))))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.