Harley and Bagheera Went to the Rainbow Bridge - VIDEO ADDED

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laura and Harley (GA), Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura and Harley (GA)

Laura and Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Bagheera and my beloved Harley crossed over to the Rainbow Bridge together last night. rb_icon

Harley passed away peacefully by my side resting his head on my hand at about 8:25 p.m. Central time and Bagheera passed away peacefully in my lap and held in my arms at 9:25 p.m. Central time. My wonderful vet Dr. Christie came to my house to help them cross. It was such a relief that they and I didn't have to make that final car ride.

After my last update in Bagheera's other thread, about four weeks ago Amy came to see him and they said their good-byes. I consulted with Dawn Allen again last Saturday and she said Bagheera said he feels more comfortable and settled in my home now and that he really appreciates having seen Amy again. He feels that he can leave now knowing that Amy knows where he is, that is very important to him. When asked about how he's feeling physically, he said his pain is less with the Piroxicam and buprenex that I'd been giving him, but that he still felt pain in his lungs and abdomen when he breaths. He knew he was dying and that he's not going to get better.

Harley told Dawn Allen that he was in pain and felt his life was miserable. He had a constant burning feeling in his gut that all the anti-inflammatory and pain medicines I've been giving him have not been able to touch. Although he didn't suggest leaving his body, when I asked him if he would be open to that, he said yes, he wanted to go. We've been battling pancreatitis and IBD for over a year now and I've tried every food (OTC, raw, & prescription) and every drug (except chemo) and nothing has worked for very long except prednisolone and now that too is no longer working. I've heard and read from the folks on the Yahoo IBD, Lymphoma and Cancer groups that IBD typically responds well to prednisolone but lymphomas respond for a short time and then stop responding to pred. So without a formal diagnosis, I feel in my heart that Harley had cancer somewhere in his GI tract.

I asked Dawn to tell both boys that I love them very much and would make plans to set them free. They both said thank you. I also asked Dawn to touch base with Hadley, Princess and Molly to let them know that 2 of the cats would be leaving the household. They all expressed varying degrees of sadness. Princess especially but that's to be expected since she and Harley had been together for 12 years.

Thank you everyone for your help, prayers and good wishes for me, Harley and Bagheera through our darkest hours.

A special thank you to Sheila for your support and encouragement -- and for Jeddie's Buprenex. I will forever be grateful to you for a week and a half of not having to open buprenex ampules!

Last but not least, I can't thank DCIN, especially Venita and Celine, enough for their love, help, hand-holding and support during this difficult time. You ladies are my heroes. Bless you always.

Fly Free my boys...I will always love you.

wings_cat wings_cat

Attached Files:

2. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Re: Harley and Bagheera Went to the Rainbow Bridge 7/31/12

(((Laura))) I am so sorry. So very sorry that you had to say goodbye to both of them at once.

Fly free Harley rb_icon

Fly free Bagheera rb_icon

Your boys are both so handsome in their photos! I know you did all you could for both of them and they knew it too. I am sure they are being greeted by Jeddie, Beasley, Mickey and Musette -as the most recent to leave our plane of existence - and probably others too (like Scruffy and Gandalf). I am afraid I am missing someone - there have been so many recently. Heaven is so much brighter these days.

They are free of pain and free to run and play again. And they are together. In that small thing, at least, you can be glad.

Of course I am crying for them and for you. I know all too well the hurt you are feeling right now. I wish I could give you a real hug. You are so very welcome for the bupe. I know it went to good use and I could just not stand to see it wasted.

Be kind to yourself.

(((hugs)))

3. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

I am so sorry Laura. I came on here to see updates and couldn't believe what I was reading, that you had to let them both go. I am so sorry.

It is so touching to hear what they had to say to Dawn too.

And to Dr. Christie for being there for them and for you. Bless her and bless you and your boys.

Safe passing Bagheera and Harley. May you both find happiness and all the capnip and play toys you can imagine in the afterlife. Fly pain free boys.

4. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Only once in my life have I had to say good bye to two of mine at the same time and I pray I never have to do it again. You truly have my deepest heartfelt sympathy on the loss of your two beloved boys wings_cat

5. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Dearest Laura,

I am so very sorry that Harley had to go with Bagheera. Bless you for taking on so much pain for them.

Fly Free and strong, Harley wings_cat

Fly Free and strong, Bagheera wings_cat

Your momma and adoptive momma loved you so much she gave you wings.

6. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Saying goodbye to one beloved companion is difficult but having to say goodbye to two the same day is just almost too much - my heart goes out to you - but what peace you must feel knowing that they understood and knew your love and that they were both ready to be relieved of the pain they were having. There comes a time when there is no other choice.

I'm so sorry that you're going through this sadness - hoping the memories you've had with them will give you a small smile through your tears.

Sending you many comforting prayers. I am so sorry.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

7. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

Oh Laura, I'm can't tell you how sorry I am. You did an amazing thing for Bagheera, taking into your home and your heart.

8. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry laura .. I can't imagine losing two babies at the same time .. I hope you find peace and comfort in knowing you did all you could for your boys and they knew and understood that .. They are now healthy and happy, waiting for the day they see you again ... Fly Free Sweet Ones ..

9. Trish & Harley (GA)

Trish & Harley (GA) Member

I am so very sorry...

10. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

[​IMG] (((((Laura))))) Fly free, Laura's beautiful black boys. wings_cat wings_cat

11. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Fly Free Laura's Boys.

(((Laura)))

Kim and Chewy

12. Charlotte and Indy (GA)

Charlotte and Indy (GA) Member

(((Laura))) To lose both babies at the same time would be a hard, hard thing. You are such a good mommy to abide by their wishes. May your dreams be filled with comforting memories of all the happy times.

13. Carol-Charlie

Carol-Charlie Well-Known Member

This breaks my heart.... I'm so sorry, I wish I could say the right words to help, give a gentle hug of support and whisper that I too have held them as they left. This is all true... and yet I know it's really just words on a screen, and I can only hope that my understanding comes through. Bless you for loving them enough to set them free from pain. Please know that in the future when time and all is right in your world.......

The Ridge
    By Carol Notermann

It’s been such a lovely summer, I’ve been napping in the sun.
    This morning, other cats and I enjoyed a long long run.
    We chased butterflies together. I climbed high into a tree.
    And now I think what woke me up was that small bumble bee.

I’ve yawned and stretched, and still I feel that something has begun.
    He’s standing there in robes of white, and telling me to come.
    I always run to Him you know, when He comes across the bridge
    To see if we’re all having fun and if we’ve checked the ridge.

He gives tummy rubs to all of us and pets and cuddles too
    I’m glad to see Him every day, when He comes into view.
    Each day He takes a different cat, and chats with them a while
    Then off that kitty starts to run. I swear they seem to smile.

But now He’s stopped in front of me. He’s said a name I know.
    He said to look out towards the ridge. The sun is setting low.
    I start to walk out toward the ridge, and then what’s that I see.
    IT’S YOU! IT’S YOU! It’s really you. You’ve come to be with me!

My goodness you are running and I am running too!
    You stop to bend, but I can jump and now I am with you.
    I feel your kisses on my head, as I did in long off days
    You’re holding me and hugging me, and into your eyes I gaze.

And now He’s walking with us, as you carry me once more
    We’ve crossed Rainbow Bridge together. We’re here at Heaven’s door.
    And He has held it open, and told us to walk through
    That from now on and forever, I can always be with you.

14. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

Such sad news but glad they both touched our hearts and and made us happy just by being there.

ETC- spelling.

15. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

My heart goes out to you. What a sad day...
    Fly free Harley and Bagheera land ever so softly. Together may your spirits soar.
    I'm so very sorry,
    jeanne

16. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((LAURA))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Many many tears falling here.. my heart is breaking with yours. Losing 2 at once is horrible, I know, I did too. My cyber arms are wrapped around you. You gave them so much love and care and that means setting them free when they were ready. Harley and Bagheera are flying free together, whole and healthy over the Rainbow Bridge. rb_icon
    wings_cat

17. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Laura,
    I'm SO sorry it was time for both of them to cross together but what an AMAZING, wonderful MamaBean you are. THANK YOU for everything you did for sweet Bagheera - that was SO hard but such a blessing that will stay with your heart forever.

Fly free sweet boys...and land ever so softly right back in Mama's heart....

BIG HUGE LOOOOOOONG HUG,

18. Karen & dB (GA)

Karen & dB (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Laura, I'm so incredibly sorry. You did everything you could to keep Bagheera and Harley healthy and comfortable, and you went the extra mile to make sure everybody got their goodbyes and closure. May you find peace in happy memories until you are reunited at the Bridge.

Tears,
    Karen & dB in spirit

19. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

Oh laura, I am so very sorry. I know the pain must be deep. One is hard enough but 2. on a good thought, they were able to travel together and keep each other company.
    I am sure Mr. b was there to greet them. a great care giver and peace maker he was. he will show them all kinds of tricks.
    fly free sweet boys and land softly. there are many special kitties there to greet you. we will all be together again one day.

HUGS

20. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your losses. I know your heart is breaking. I'm glad that Dawn could ease your mind and help you make this difficult decision. You were a good mom to Harley and taking in Bagheera was a wonderful thing. Sending you prayers of peace and comfort.

Fly Free Harley and Bagheera! wings_cat wings_cat

21. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Laura, I am so sorry. The pain of losing two beloved kitties at the same time must be devastating. I wish there was something I could do to help ease your grief right now but I know that isn't possible... only time can gently close that open wound. My heart goes out to you. ((((((Laura))))))) ♥ Their love for you is everlasting and follows you always. ♥

22. Kris & Motska (GA)

Kris & Motska (GA) Member

((((((((((Laura)))))))))) I'm so sorry for your loss. They were lucky to have you -- as much as you were lucky to have them. You and Harley and Bagheera are in my prayers.

Kris

23. Jessica & Boo Radley

Jessica & Boo Radley Member

Laura,
    I'm so sorry for your loss. What a gift to have them both with you and for you to be with both of them when they needed you most. Sometimes the hardest thing is the right thing and you were so brave to listen to their wishes.

rb_icon Fly free sweet boys~ rb_icon

24. Laura and Harley (GA)

My Boys Are Home Again

Thank you everyone from the bottom of my heart for your heartfelt compassion and sympathies. You are the ones who really understand what it is to walk this road. I could not have survived this week without your support. :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

It was one week ago yesterday - but we have survived by still breathing in and out and taking nourishment. For the first couple of days Princess, Hadley, Molly and I walked around the house "searching" for the boys. Molly is blossoming now that she has fewer cats to compete with for my attention and being quite a frisky little girl. She is also taking up some of Harley's ways like waiting for me when I walk in the door, jumping up on the bed after their late night snack and waiting for me to join her (he used to do that - he'd even start scolding me if I took too long.) and sitting by my feet or on the couch with me while watching TV. Hadley keeps trying to play with the girls and can't understand why they won't play back. I really think he feels the loss of his buddy Bagheera. I'm keeping an eye on him to see how he adjusts. If need be he may need a boy playmate. It's too soon to tell though and truth to be told, I'm not ready. Princess is happier to have fewer kitties to complete with too but she misses her Harley who was her friend for 12 years.

Harley and Bagheera came home last night. I went to my vet's office to pick them up and two of my favorite staff were at the reception desk and we hugged, cried and remenisced a little about my boys. They gave me back my towels that I'd wrapped the boys in for their final journey and also gave me 2 clay paw prints. I could immediately tell whose was whose - Harley's was bigger and had claw marks, Bagheera's was smaller and had no claws. I've ordered two black cat figurine urns online and am waiting for them to arrive so I can finalize my boys homecoming. I wanted two different ones as they were unique souls and personalities. I plan to put their collars around their necks so that once again there will be two back kitties sitting in their favorite spots around the house. It won't be the same, but they will awasy be with us in spirit.

rb_icon

25. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

((((Laura)))) (((Princess))) (((Hadley))) (((Molly)))

I don't know that I need say more. The quietness is what I feel. Jeddie was a vibrant cat and personality who injected himself into everyone's daily business. Not having that is so noticeable. I can't imagine adjusting to TWO holes in the fabric of my household at once.

Give your attentions to the girls, and Hadley, it probably reassures them and, in time, maybe they will learn to play with him.

You know there is always another kitty soul that needs your help. When the time is right, that soul will find you - most likely with help from Harley and Bagheera. It will happen and you will know the time is right.

26. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

((((((Laura and crew))))))

I also saw how the dynamics change within a household when an important member is gone. It can almost seem as if you have a new cat or 2 or 3! I believe they pick up on our sorrow and some, like Molly, will try to fill that void. I'm so glad she is comforting you. It helps a lot.

:YMHUG:

27. dmartini4

dmartini4 Well-Known Member

(((Laura))))
    I am so sorry for your loss, and both at the same time,
    you are in my thoughts and prayers

28. Laura and Harley (GA)

Bagheera's tribute video

At last, here is Baghhera's tribute video. It took over a week to make as I had to learn how to use Windows Movie Maker for the first time. :) Hope you like it, I can watch it now and smile instead of cry which is what I did a lot of while making it so if nothing else, making it was very therapeutic.

[youtube]85YLXWPbaco[/youtube]

The boys urns arrived last week and I transferred their ashes for the first and last time. Since they look so much alike, I put their collars back on. Now they are back where they belong in my bedroom. For now they are on the shelf which is right next to my bed and above the cat bed Bagheera used to sleep in on the floor. Harley always slept with me along with Princess, so his urn is as close as it can get to me without actually being in bed.

Attached Files:

29. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

Re: Harley and Bagheera Went to the Rainbow Bridge - VIDEO A

Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.

30. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Oh my gosh, I have tears running down my face - again.

Laura, that is a great video. It makes the one I "tried" to do of Jeddie look pitiful. The clip of him with your phone was so funny too - and we need to remember those times they acted like clowns so much with now, right?

What song was that? It is so perfect. I added a few lines from a Carole King song to the last page of Jeddie's photo book and it sort of reminds me of it:

You could have been anyone at all
    A stranger falling out of the blue
    I'm so glad it was you​

I guess it reminds me of it because, even though him "falling out of the blue and being who he was brought me great pain in the end, I would not have wanted to never have known him at all. I never expected to fall in love with Jeddie, I was just trying to save his life and treat his FD. Maybe it was the same for you with Bagheera.

And I love the Hamlet quote. Have you shared this with Amy yet? It must be very hard for her (and for Jeddie's dad) to have given them up and have someone else love them and then loose them like this. I don't know if I should share Jeddie's book with his former dad.

31. Laura and Harley (GA)

Thank you Heather. He was a wonderful cat and made it so easy on me to take pictures and videos. I miss him still.

Sheila, the song is Trisha Yearwood's "I Would Have Loved You Anyway." And I too love that video clip of Bagheera meeting Google Earth. I wanted to balance the sadness of the song with the happy memories of him playing. Need to focus on those memories as that was the real Bagheera. He loved to play with and take possession of any electronic device - as you said, lap cat = laptop, what's the big deal? They were nice and warm and they were his way of saying "Pay attention to me, why don't you?"

I feel what you mean about being glad to have known and been loved by Jeddie even though you didn't know that was how it would turn out when you decided to adopt him. The same was true for Dian and Mr. Beasley too. I set out to foster a cat for someone and he ended up becoming family. This song really was the perfect choice for the situation I found myself in. I started off as the loving but trying-to-not-get-too-attached foster mom so I could dutifully send him home again. That was the task I signed on to do. I'd never fostered before but was willing to lend a hand since we all thought it'd be short term and were reasonably confident it'd be a happy homecoming once the external forces at play resolved themselves. Within 3 weeks I was in love with him and decided to treat him like he was one of my own for as long as he was with me and devil take the consequences when he had to go home again. I knew I was setting myself up for a heartbreak but I figured if it meant he got to go home again and be happy with his family, then I rationalized that I could live with the broken heart of saying goodbye. Little did I know that a much bigger heartbreak was waiting in store. His cancer diagnosis was a double edged blessing. On one hand I got the wish that I was secretly wishing for Hadley's sake - Bagheera would become one of the boys. But with it came the price of having to decide when to say goodbye forever with no happy ending o happily ever after. Not the stuff Hollywood movies are made of. I'd have liked to believe that I would have done everything the same all over again and I think I would have.

I absolutely love your books of Charlotte, Murphy and Jeddie. Jeddie's book especially makes me cry because you write and tell his story so well. I've thought of making books for my boys too, but I'm really more of a music video person so want to start there. Harley's video will be more of a challenge because most of his pictures are hard copy in boxes I never unpacked when I moved. Finding, scanning and choosing what to use will take some time. I'll be having minor surgery in a few weeks so maybe after it's over I can go through photos during my recovery.

I e-mailed Amy a link to the video. I haven't heard back from her yet but I hope it can make her smile through the tears too.

32. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Laura..........simply beautiful but heartbreaking watching and knowing the story.

33. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Oh (((((Laura))))

I've been away from the board for awhile and didn't realize that you had lost both Harley and Bagheera.....I am so sorry but what a beautiful video. Even if I was crying so hard through it that I probably missed most of it.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

34. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Laura , I am so very sorry for your huge loss. I haven't visited the board since Mickey passed in June. I loved the poem Carol posted. And your tribute brought me to tears, what a great life.
    (((hugs)))
    Fly free Harley and Bagheera, god speed. I hope Mickey was there to meet them at the bridge.
    I still have 7 cats, but am at a loss with out my boy. God bless.

35. Laura and Harley (GA)

Hope - Thank you for the lovely poem, reading to brought me such comfort during those first few days after they left me.

Mel - (((Hugs))) to you as I understand that you are still grieving Musette and Muse as much as I am my boys. That song was just as true for Musette as for Bagheera. They all leave such cat sized holes in our hearts and homes that life is never the same without them. (sigh)

Peggy - (((Hugs))) I'm sure Mickey was there ready and waiting to show Harley and Bagheera the ropes and all the ways to get into trouble, even at the Bridge. Of course, my boys didn't need any help in that department. :roll: Maybe they'll be showing Mickey how to get into trouble. Either way, It's good to know that a big grey buddy is there with them so they won't miss Hadley as much.

36. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

Oh Laura, I was out of town and just now catching up. I am sorry I am so late in finding out about your loss.

I am truly sorry that you had to say goodbye to both Harley and Bagheera at once, but you are the most loving momma to know you had to release them from their pain. I know you went to great lengths for both of them in your time together.

The urns you have for them are beautiful too. How wonderful they can hang out in the bedroom with you. The collars are a great addition.

May the good memories of all the cool kitty things they both did get you thru the rough spots. Hugs and healing coming your way. :YMHUG:

wings_cat wings_cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.