Is $220.00 for 5 pens of Lememir a good price?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by sophie, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sophie

sophie Member

Hello,
    my name is Sophie & my Pudge is in remission off ProZinc. I have recently taken in my very elderly neighbor's diabetic kitty, Little One (about 8lbs) who's been on ProZinc. Due to the shortage of ProZinc, I purchased 5 pens of Levemir from a nearby pharmacy without researching & realizing the fact that compounded PZI is easily available via the internet (& rather cheap). I wanted to make sure that I was completely ready for Little One. I will be switching her to Levemir (don't know yet when since I have two partial vials of ProZinc - using one for Little One & keeping the other 'just n case' for Pudge, both expire Nov. 2012) but for the future would appreciate knowing if $220.00 is a good price. If it is, I plan to use the same pharmacy.

Info on compounded PZI - 3rd newest post in particular:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=75758

Greetings to everyone and thanking you in advance for any replies.

Best wishes,
    Sophie

2. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

Sophie,

That price sounds about right from what I've seen.

For future purchases, you might want to check out the thread about ordering from Canadian pharmacies as it's much cheaper that way.

Also, someone else mentioned this site yesterday, and you can search for price comparisons of different drugs in your area.

And, here is a link to a Levemir coupon to use the next time you purchase.

Suze

3. sophie

sophie Member

Suze,
    thanks so much
    Sophie

4. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Depending on the dose for Little One, those 5 pens should last over a year. I know Levemir is available from Canada with a script, but for those who aren't strapped for cash, Levemir's pharmacy cost over time is very very low. If 1 pen lasts 3 months, your cost works out to less than $15 per month.

And that coupon. I suppose they might work for some, but the Cornerstone for Care card which Novo-Nordisk issues to Levemir users may not work at your pharmacy, so the same thing may happen with a Novo-Nordisk coupon. Pharmacists are usually busy and hopefully would not even blink, but the last one I went to with it refused me the benefit because the insulin was not for a human. I am bringing this up because others should be aware these offers sometimes do not work. And no, the fact that a human has to pay for it didn't matter. I didn't take it up with Novo-Nordisk (the pharmacy clerk called them apparently and claimed they were the ones who refused) that was 2 months before Gandalf passed and I just didn't have the chutzpah to do it.

5. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

My first lev pack came to $253 plus tax- say $275 total- as the pens INDIVIDUALLY were $50.75 BUT I had to purchase all 5 at one time. I think the price has gone down $7/pen in my area but for the second pack I purchased from Canada for $125 WITH the shipping- saving me $150. Took two weeks to get here though.

With there being two of you It may help to purchase on pack and split the pens and cost.

6. sophie

sophie Member

Hi,
    thanks everyone! I'm organizing a fat 3-ring binder with all the information, as I'll be very busy later in the year - moving just 6 miles (dragging my feet all the way!!!) but I've lived in my house 'forever.' I'm taking Little One as my own with all the costs & cares this involves. My neighbor knows this. Neither she nor I want to deal with her 5 'interesting' offspring. She has been worried that upon her death, her kids would put Little One to sleep. No chance of that with me. Many years ago I too had a kitty called Little One. We ended up adoring one another though I confess that, originally, I called her the Ugly One & she wouldn't let me touch her for some 8 long months. She was the loveliest, sweetest, most loyal, fiercest, tiniest bit of calico fur I have ever met. Still miss her. My eyes still mist over.

Heather, I remember you. I see a Canadian pharmacy in my future. Thanks!

Sophie

7. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

Little One will know she is loved even though she has to leave her current fur mom she found another one to look after her very well :D .

Good luck on the binder- I have one that is growing by leaps and bounds- and hopefully Little One will be established enough before you move.

I called Sneakers "Bald Butt" for a while around 5 years ago, mainly because she had gotten in a fight and an animal took a patch of her skin above the base of her tail, just about the size of a half dollar. She gave me flat looks for months because of it :lol: . They might not know human speech but they DO know when we are making fun of them!

8. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

I just bought a 5-pk of Levemir pens at Walgreens. I have a Prescription Savings Card (in Grayson's name! - although it works for me too). With the discount, it was $189.49. I called around and priced them. Walgreens was cheaper than Wal-Mart and a local drug store. Had to buy the card (~$40), but it paid for itself on the first purchase of pens!

9. sophie

sophie Member

Hello,
    thank you! When I called around the prices quoted were $220 at a small local pharmacy, $222 at Costco, $277 at Rite Aid for 5 pens of Levemir. Some places had a discount if one paid cash & had no insurance, but most couldn't tell me if the discount would apply to pets. I didn't contact Walgreens, so thanks again!

Best wishes,
    Sophie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.