Introducing Squiggy and Jean!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jean and Squiggy, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jean and Squiggy

Jean and Squiggy New Member

This is Jennifer+Spunky(GA) helping her out. I've completed a profile and spreadsheet. Can I just say...this was SO MUCH easier on this board and this time around! We have come a long way!! THANKS to all those tech gurus.

Please see our glucose readings...I've gotten her to pick up U100 syringes...in case we need them in the morning. I'm trying not to wig her out with all this info right off the bat.

Our first post:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=22585

Say Hello to Jean and I! I hid in high dose for 2 years so many of you may not know me....

2. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Squiggy and Jean,

Welcome to our little group. Great that you are home testing and changing diets. Lucky you to have an experienced helper.

I'm looking forward to seeing your posts every day.

Robin & Harley

3. Jennifer+Spunky(GA)+Peake

Jennifer+Spunky(GA)+Peake Member

Hi Rob!

Do you guys have an official sliding scale? I'm still figuring out the new board.... Nice blues and greens going there :)

4. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks on the blues and greens, we keep trying.

I don't know if there is an official sliding scale or not, Joanna and Bix or Lori and Tom would be able to help you with that.

Although from previous posts I will add that a newbie should have a no shoot number of 200 until they have enough data to lower it.

You guys are off to a great start.

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi there!

No official sliding scale. Generally the recommendation I've seen since I got here is to start with a steady dose, and a no-shoot of 200. Data collected around there will guide you as to whether you actually need a reduced dose on lower PSs or not. Then with data, reduce no-shoot first to 180, and then with more data to 150.

Some here have used sliding scales successfully, but are probably in the minority, and/or have lifers who have shown a sliding scale approach works well for them. With most newbies, from what I've seen, starting with a sliding scale just creates a lot of confusion for them in interpreting the data.

I'm in full support of them when they seem needed, but with most newbie cats I've seen, I haven't seen the need. It seems more like a lifer tool to me, from what I can tell with Bix at least. Not that I'd argue very hard with someone who wants to use one, but for the newbies I've seen, for the most part a steady dose seems to work pretty well in not causing too-steep drops on the higher PSs.

So more or less I'd say from the higher PSs most people are not shooting for TR #s, but instead are looking for a dose that will bring the #s down a little more gently, and then give fairly consistent PSs in the 150 - 180 range, and nadirs in the greens.

That's just my take... if you start a thread with sliding scale in the title, you might draw in the fans. ;-) I'm actually finding that's working well for Bix these days so I'm becoming a convert myself, but that's after a year+ of dancing around with his #s and figuring out what works for him.

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

sliding scales are custom for each cat based on BG test data

7. Jennifer+Spunky(GA)+Peake

Hi Phoebe! If we decide to go the sliding scale route I'll be looking for your opinion! Weird that it won't include 12 unit doses wahahaaaa. you've been out here in the real world of diabetes....it's different than the acros... :eek:

I'm thinking no shot below 200 is good for now...def til we get a few curves...
    What is everyone in PZI land doing for nadirs now? Still +6 to +8?
    Can't wait for a curve. I'm going to have her get +4,+6, +8, +10 +12...don't need the +2 right?
    Are today's PZI's like idexx?

I vow not to turn Jean into super duper curve every dayer like I was..don't think it will be necessary.... :mrgreen:

8. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

sometimes for a curve people will just do PS +3 +6 +9 +12, or split spot tests out on different days, so maybe a +4 and +6 one day, a +6 and +8 another day to try to find the nadir, etc.

Is she on ProZinc? with that they say the nadir moves around some in the 1st 45 days, so personally I wouldn't even bother too much with trying to pinpoint it for a while... I think some have seen earlier nadirs too on it, closer to +4 maybe? not 100% sure on that...

9. Jennifer+Spunky(GA)+Peake

insulin...

It's frustrating..there is a hand done label over the bottle...very hard to read what is under neath. I'm going to take it apart Saturday when I go see them...

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.