1/10/11 Tessie Lou PMPS 216 - reducing dose

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by tessielou, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tessielou

tessielou Member

Hi all,
    Tessie number is 216 tonight. I know it's too low to shoot the normal 1.4 that I've been shooting for the past three nights. This is the first time she has come in this low at night since going down to 1u in a.m. and 1.4u in p.m. I just gave her .8, or a little more than half the dose. Am I doing the right thing here?

2. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Yea, you know I think you did OK. I'm assuming you are trying to get her food at night now ?? so maybe things are evening out which is what we were after with that. I think .8u was maybe a little on the conservative side but good since you are just starting out and it is night time and you may want to get a good night's sleep.

We really don't have any mid cycle tests to know how low she would go at 1u on a low 200 PS. So that's a little piece of data you might try to grab.

We'll see what happens tomorrow morning. And if she zooms up then you just know maybe next time at a low 200 PS she might need a hair more than .8u.

I'm impressed if you have already got the U100 needles and are doing the conversion. That's good - especially in the dose ranges you are dealing with. It looks like you guys have really grabbed this bull by the horns and I very happy with the direction you area headed in. The only general recommendation I have at this time is that, if you can, try to grab more mid-cycle tests [primarily those +6 & hours adjoining] especially when you are in a new dosing and/or PS range. Maybe even try to grab a +5, +6 & +7 here and there. It seems like your curves are OK but there's not a whole lot of data to go on. If you find things get a little ??? for you then you can drill down more with more testing and maybe even do a "full" curve [every 2 hours] if you feel necessary.

Once you get a little more data here then you can likely lower your no shoot to somewhere closer to 150.

3. tessielou

tessielou Member

Good, glad you are ok with the .8 dose. I just did a check (12:30am) and she is now at 265. Should she be going up 3 hours after her shot? I will check again at 3am. I sure hope I got the insulin in. It seemed to go well, so... She ate at 9pm, as usual. I also gave her 1.5 oz of food after her 12:30 test because she was hungry. I feel pretty good about where we're at, too. I will try to get some more spot checks at different times, to fill out my data. I'm learning how important it is to have a solid picture.
    Thanks, Gator.

4. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Going up at +3 after the shot indicates maybe not enough insulin - but we'll have to see how the cycle ends up. But that's just fine. You will get it worked out in time and next time you know she will likely need a little more insulin.

To get the food thing optimized you will want to feed the same amount you were over the 24 hours but just try to have the same amount during the day as night - so smaller meals during the day than you were feeding. I know this is a work in progress though for you guys and you are just getting the systems worked out. In the mean time I'm sure you will just be approximating the best you can. :smile: :smile:

It's pretty cool when you get to see their progress. :cool:

5. Charliemeow

Charliemeow Well-Known Member

Yay! It sure looks like Tessie Lou's on the right track! I hope she keeps those numbers coming down for you.

6. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

Can't wait to see how she is this morning!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.