Charlie is an acrocat

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Charliemeow, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charliemeow

Charliemeow Well-Known Member

We just got Charlie's acro and iaa results back. His igf-1 result is 262 (anything above 100 is positive), his iaa result is 22% (above 20 is positive). We're not going to do any drastic treatments like surgery or radiation. The vet told us about a medicine used by humans that isn't technically approved for use in kitties, but that it is very expensive. So we will just continue to treat him with levemir and maybe the occasional dose of R when his numbers get really high. I will keep him as comfortable as I can for as long as I can. I'm still a bit surprised...I was reallly hoping it was just iaa. But we will make the best of this. Charlie is a wonderful, sweet kitty, and I will do all I can for him. :sad:

2. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Claudia,
    Thanks for letting us know. I have no experience with those conditions, so I have to plead ignorance about what it means for quality of life or what will be required of you in dealing with it. How I wish all of us and our fur babies could just be healthy!

3. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear this diagnosis for you guys. Your spreadsheet definitely looks like an acro sheet though @-) The acro beans are great! very supportive and helpful :D

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I would guess this is bittersweet. It is probably a relief to have a diagnosis and now know how to treat him in the best way. But also sad and certainly worrying.

Best wishes for you and Charlie.

5. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Claudia))))
    I know this isn't the news you were expecting, but Charlie's the same sweet faced kitty that he was earlier today before you knew the results. He doesn't know that he was dx as acro or IAA...he just wants your lovin and to play with the toy hanging from the door knob. You have wonderful support with the acro beans and all of your old friends here for cheerleaders. You and Charlie are going to do great! :D
    Don't forget that Acro cats can go OTJ, so there is still hope!

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh wow. I'm glad you have an answer at least, hopefully that will help you moving forward in making decisions on insulin. Thankfully there are plenty around with knowledge & experience, hopefully they are able to help you out with advice & acro-support. Sorry for the diagnosis though :cry:

7. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Claudia)))) We always didn't want to kind of know it was true.

Now you know. Now you can treat safely.

Please keep us updated.

Robin

8. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

Oh Claudia, I am sorry to hear about Charlie’s dx, but as other folks here have said, at least you know now and can treat and move forward.
    Hugs to you and Charlie. :YMHUG:

9. eeraby

eeraby Member

((((((((((( Claudia & Charlie )))))))))))

10. Laura and Harley (GA)

Laura and Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

:YMHUG: (((((Claudia & Charlie)))))

11. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Aw, I'm sorry, Claudia. But, Sue is right, it's good to finally have a diagnosis. KB didn't have the IAA test, just the acro, but you pretty much treat the acro and hopefully the IAA won't make it too difficult to keep him regulated (sometimes you just have to be more aggressive if there's IAA involved).

12. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

(((((((((((Claudia and Charlie))))))))))))))

I went looking for your latest posts and saw this.

Well now a more proper treatment plan can be in place...

Hugs....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.