8/7 Tootoo 110 then 139

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tooloo, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tooloo

Tooloo Member

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=101729

I forgot to put in a topic on my last post, and it disappeared.:( So here we go again. I printed out the information on tight regulation protocol and also the information on the looser protocol. I'll study them both.

Today, his AMPS was 115, and since I was going to be gone all day, I didn't shoot. I got home at 6:45 and he tested 110. This was with no a.m. shot! Waited 1/2 hour and tested again - 139. Since it was going up, and since I'm gone again tomorrow and don't want to give a very large dose in the morning, I went ahead and gave him the 1.25 dose. I'll test again before bed and likely get up in the night to test one more time - maybe more.

The problem I have is that I'm gone all day most Mondays through Thursdays. That varies some, but most of the time, that's my schedule. Can I do the tight regulation protocol with this schedule? Obviously not exactly since I can't test frequently on those days.

I'm canceling the vet appt. on Friday. The vet history is this: About 3 weeks ago he was diagnosed; two weeks ago vet showed me how to shoot insulin and prescribed 2 units twice a day with NO testing for 2 weeks. Then they would do the full day curve (Friday's appt.) and sell me an AlphaTrak for $386. He almost immediately showed signs of hypo on the 2 units. I reduced dose and started testing with Relion Confirm. I can do the curve myself on Friday or Saturday. So I don't see the point in going back. It's a $200 appointment and stress to my kitty. I know they mean well, but I think they lack data.

My spreadsheet is updated if anyone wouldn't mind looking at it - you've all been a great help. I could use further advice. Should I continue to try and stick with the tight regulation protocol despite my schedule?

Thanks again!

2. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

You totally can. We can work with your schedule and suggest tests. What time will you be gone on Mondays through Thursdays?

Worst case you do preshot tests plus a before bed test those days . The other days you do a mid day test also. Maybe a spot check or two. Should be enough.

Wendy

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I would have recommended a +6 last night since he dropped from 139 to 85 in a couple of hours. It's very likely he was even lower during the night. We may need to lower the dose. For the SLGS protocol, that 85 would have earned Tootoo a dose reduction. I know you were thinking of using the TR protocol, but not sure that fits your schedule as well.

Looking at the data so far on the SS, even though not much, I would recommend reducing the dose to 1U and see how Tootoo does on that. we can always increase the dose back to 1.25U if the reduction dose not hold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.